Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Real-Time Desktop Backgrounds from Starsector  (Read 371 times)

ADiup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Real-Time Desktop Backgrounds from Starsector
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:25:37 AM »

I've been a fan of Starsector for quite some time and have always been fascinated by the dynamic and visually appealing scenes in the game, particularly the battle scenes in the main menu. Today, I want to propose an idea that I believe could add an extra layer of depth to our experience with the game.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could have these dynamic battle scenes from the main menu rendered in real-time as our desktop background? I envision this feature as a way to bring a piece of Starsector's universe directly onto our desktops, offering a constant connection to the game we love, even when we're not playing.

I understand that implementing such a feature might be challenging, especially considering the technical aspects and potential performance implications. But I believe it could be a unique addition, showcasing the game's incredible art and dynamic environment.

I'm curious to hear what the community and the developers think about this idea. Do you think it's feasible? Would you like to see something like this in the future updates?

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
Re: Real-Time Desktop Backgrounds from Starsector
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 01:03:50 AM »

It sounds nice but probably wouldn't be on the list of priorities in foreseeable future.

Cruacious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 06:28:23 AM »

This sounds like a good request to make to modders. I would support it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 10:45:07 AM »

Hi! Yeah this is... I mean, it sounds neat, but it's a ton of work that would not move along the development of the actual game. Also, even if it's technically possible (which, offhand, I'm not sure) an active desktop thing like this would not be good for your CPU or for your graphics card!

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 12:38:25 PM »

By the way, the animated background thing wouldn't have to involve some in-home software solution from Alex (which I imagine is entirely out of scope of this project anyway) or even his attention all together. There is already a quite popular and working solution out there. As long as you are willing to invest some time into figuring out Wallpaper Engine you could do it yourself.

ADiup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 06:28:29 PM »

Hi! Yeah this is... I mean, it sounds neat, but it's a ton of work that would not move along the development of the actual game. Also, even if it's technically possible (which, offhand, I'm not sure) an active desktop thing like this would not be good for your CPU or for your graphics card!

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your prompt response! I initially thought it might be a relatively simple project, but admittedly, my lack of coding knowledge didn't allow me to fully grasp the scale of the undertaking. Of course, the ongoing development of the game should always take precedence.

I've also seen suggestions about using Wallpaper Engine to create backgrounds from recorded game videos. I've given it a try, but I'm not sure how to hide some of the text boxes on the main menu interface. Additionally, I'm curious about your stance on using recorded game footage for Wallpaper Engine backgrounds. I wouldn't want to proceed in a way that you might find inappropriate or distasteful.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 07:08:16 AM »

I know this is not the solution you’re looking for, but you can record videos of the battle and set the video as the desktop background.