Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Lore: Gear and Weapons Used by the Marines  (Read 878 times)

Gris

• Commander
  • Good day!
    • View Profile
Another Lore: Gear and Weapons Used by the Marines
« on: January 14, 2024, 07:33:45 AM »

Good day Im kinda curious What specific weapons and gear are used by the Poor and Wealthy Merc Marines Hired by the Player And also gear and weapons Soldiers and Marines used by each factions (Both Poor and Wealthy)? Thank you.  :)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Another Lore: Gear and Weapons Used by the Marines
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 04:00:53 PM »

Well one thing i have seen mentioned that they use is Power Armor
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Comrade_Bobinski

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 04:04:52 AM »

From the lore you can gather from the game and the artwork appearing during raid and invasion, Sector's Marines give me the impression to be equipped with high tech advanced power armor from our perspective but mostly relatively low tech from what the domain era humanity was capable.

Seems like a sector soldier coud be equipped with stuff ranging from enclave/brotherhood of steel power armor from Fallout to Mjolnir/Spartan suit from Halo. I envisionned planetary garnisons and armies being mostly second rated troop with good enough light equipement, like the imperial guard from WH40k.

Gris

• Commander
  • Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 07:28:02 AM »

From the lore you can gather from the game and the artwork appearing during raid and invasion, Sector's Marines give me the impression to be equipped with high tech advanced power armor from our perspective but mostly relatively low tech from what the domain era humanity was capable.

Seems like a sector soldier coud be equipped with stuff ranging from enclave/brotherhood of steel power armor from Fallout to Mjolnir/Spartan suit from Halo. I envisionned planetary garnisons and armies being mostly second rated troop with good enough light equipement, like the imperial guard from WH40k.

Wow! Thank you for the Clarification and reply!

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 11:21:08 AM »

By the way, Heavy Arms specifically mention being mechs, tanks and artillery.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 12:05:02 PM »

Doesn't one of the mods (Nex?) give your marines a bonus if you are carrying heavy armaments? I think that's the case. It would be kinda neat to have something like that in Vanilla.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 01:10:54 PM »

Doesn't one of the mods (Nex?) give your marines a bonus if you are carrying heavy armaments? I think that's the case. It would be kinda neat to have something like that in Vanilla.

Heavy Armaments in Nex aren't used for raids but can be used by your marines to form mechanized units during multi-stage planetary/station battles.

I would definitely love to have more lore regarding marines and surface warfare in the Sector.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 01:12:33 PM by Helldiver »
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Samoja

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 01:50:34 AM »

Heavy Armaments in Nex aren't used for raids but can be used by your marines to form mechanized units during multi-stage planetary/station battles.

I would definitely love to have more lore regarding marines and surface warfare in the Sector.

Realistically you shouldn't be able to capture anything bigger than level 6 with your marines. Even that's a stretch, Nex goes easy on you. Planning and executing a planetary invasion should by all rights be a titanic endevor. Especially since you need to bring enough troops and armaments to overpower the local garrison that can recruit locally while you can't. I would imagine any colony on inhospitable planet would be a maze of tunnels and habs that would be a nightmare to fight trough.

Gris

• Commander
  • Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 02:30:27 AM »

Good day!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:32:33 AM by Gris »

Gris

• Commander
  • Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 02:31:14 AM »

Me too! :D And also The Lore about the 6th Battlegroup Before the collapse. I am curious what ships they use since they are stronger than the 14th Battlegroup now the Hegemony?  :-\

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 02:52:09 AM »

Realistically you shouldn't be able to capture anything bigger than level 6 with your marines. Even that's a stretch, Nex goes easy on you. Planning and executing a planetary invasion should by all rights be a titanic endevor. Especially since you need to bring enough troops and armaments to overpower the local garrison that can recruit locally while you can't. I would imagine any colony on inhospitable planet would be a maze of tunnels and habs that would be a nightmare to fight trough.

If we are being optimistic, the entire population of the core worlds is around 2 billion people, realistically probably much lower than that. IRL you will generally see only around 1-1.8% of the entire country's population serving as military, and only around 20–25% of them will consist of actual combat units; the rest are support personnel. And those numbers account for all military branches. Not all of the military personnel would be in the army, and I imagine in Starsector universe this distribution would be skewed towards the space force. It does seem to be the ultimate way of projecting power for all factions.

With all that in mind, conquering planets, as in overrunning established defense outposts and local governing bodies, with a fairly modest marine force, doesn't seem so unrealistic anymore. That is, if we ignore the question of how exactly the player character is conjuring up thousands of marines out of nowhere. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Samoja

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 03:09:40 AM »

If we are being optimistic, the entire population of the core worlds is around 2 billion people, realistically probably much lower than that. IRL you will generally see only around 1-1.8% of the entire country's population serving as military, and only around 20–25% of them will consist of actual combat units; the rest are support personnel. And those numbers account for all military branches. Not all of the military personnel would be in the army, and I imagine in Starsector universe this distribution would be skewed towards the space force. It does seem to be the ultimate way of projecting power for all factions.

With all that in mind, conquering planets, as in overrunning established defense outposts and local governing bodies, with a fairly modest marine force, doesn't seem so unrealistic anymore. That is, if we ignore the question of how exactly the player character is conjuring up thousands of marines out of nowhere. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

By my calculations it's closer to 200 million, 500 if we're being generous and say level 8 is not 100 million but somewhere between 100 million and a billion. No way it's 2 billion tho. Even so the defender always have a home field advantage. Doubly so for space invasions where the invasion force and any subsequent reinforcements/supplies need to make it past AA to even make it down to the planet.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 04:57:17 AM »

By my calculations it's closer to 200 million, 500 if we're being generous and say level 8 is not 100 million but somewhere between 100 million and a billion. No way it's 2 billion tho. Even so the defender always have a home field advantage. Doubly so for space invasions where the invasion force and any subsequent reinforcements/supplies need to make it past AA to even make it down to the planet.

The colony and population size representations are very abstract, so the exact numbers can vary wildly, from ~2% to ~25% of RL Earth population. Another fun thing to think about is that Chicomoztoc, being the only size 8 colony in the game, can potentially host up to 50% of the core worlds population.
Also, I imagine the defenders advantage is fairly irrelevant in a scenario where a sufficiently large fleet can just blockade the entire planet, generously saturating any established military strongholds with antimatter fuel.

Samoja

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 07:22:17 AM »

The colony and population size representations are very abstract, so the exact numbers can vary wildly, from ~2% to ~25% of RL Earth population. Another fun thing to think about is that Chicomoztoc, being the only size 8 colony in the game, can potentially host up to 50% of the core worlds population.
Also, I imagine the defenders advantage is fairly irrelevant in a scenario where a sufficiently large fleet can just blockade the entire planet, generously saturating any established military strongholds with antimatter fuel.

Yeah, Chico actually contains over half of the entire population of the sector, and 90% of Heg population. Persean league does not even come close at about 20 million or so. IIRC Tritachion is the lowest, just 1.2 million. Not counting independents who are just over 600 000. Total sector pop in my calculation is 177.6 million, 2/3rds of which is Heg. Of course this all relies on the fact that planets don't hover around 50% pop growth, they either grow or settle at their current pop, so there shouldn't be much deviation from round numbers, at least theoretically