Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are pirate orbital stations stronger than LP battlestations now?  (Read 956 times)

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile

I just got off clearing a couple Luddic Path low tech battlestations, which I'm use to being the big tough targets in previous versions of the game.  These were tough, but doable with a few loses.  Then I went off to take out a midline pirate space station, 40k bounty, and it ruined my fleet.  Like complete wipe.

Is that normal in this version?

Tried again and cleared it with no loses.  You've really got to go slow with them now and very gradually wear them down, compared to how important it was to rush them down in previous versions.  As well as make sure you only send in your smaller ships after the initial wave.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 07:44:12 PM by Twilight Sentinel »

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Are pirate orbital stations stronger than LP battlestations now?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 06:57:03 AM »

It depends on whether you can catch them without any defense fleets around or not.

The stations themselves are generally a pushover. Most pirate, and even LP stations, can be taken with a single Onslaught and Legion(XIV). They'll take some damage, but you aren't likely to lose one. I usually send in 2 of each, with no other ships, and they don't take any damage even (or so little that it's almost instantly repaired). You can't take a single ship usually because you want the station to switch targets sometimes or all that concentrate firepower WILL take down even most tough ships. Fighters are good for distracting a lot of the firepower as well.

If there's a defensive fleet, you'll usually want some more agile ships to cover your flanks. I use the defend location command, and set up a line just at the edge of the station's firing range. This keeps your fleet massed on one side, so they are all firing at more or less the same part of the station, and makes the defending fleet come to you. The 'leash' on the defend command is pretty loose, so your flanks still have plenty of room to maneuver, and you may sometimes have to pull your ships back with a rally command, but usually by the time they are really starting to close on the station, they've done enough damage that they won't get too badly damaged.

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 10:34:27 PM »

level one midline stations are a little trickier to takes out than lowtech ones (missing a segment) or high tech ones (huge gaps in shield). They got guns in every direction from the start, spars that distract your ships into wasting flux, and faster rotation to get out of your firing arcs faster.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 09:47:00 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that when fighting a few other stations.  The high tech one basically melted once its fighter complement was down and a low tech battlestation can be gradually picked apart if you focus on the less well armored parts first.  While the midline spacestation is vastly more difficult to take out quickly and has way more of its guns all pointing in one direction.  That lets it take out even capital ships from time to time that the other stations don't really seem to be able to pull off.

majk

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 01:15:54 AM »

Leave pirate stations alone. If you use nexerelin and see somebody send a strike force against it, take them out in hyperspace.
The longer they live, the stronger more disruptive they get.
Lots of high level pirate stations are the single best way to fat loads of cash, since they will hunt down trade fleets.

Everyone in the sector is an unrepentant *** so join the club.