Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98

Author Topic: Starsector 0.97a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 178389 times)

chennitoa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.97a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1065 on: February 13, 2024, 09:32:51 PM »

I'm seeing a strange issue where any ship being destroyed in battle resets you viewing another ship's perspective (with the 'F' key) back to your flagship. Is this intentional? The ships being destroyed can be nowhere near the ship whose perspective I am viewing from but still cause this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 13, 2024, 09:43:35 PM »

Hmm, I'm not seeing this on my end. It might happen if your flagship is the ship that's destroyed, but it's definitely not happening for me for just random ships in your fleet being destroyed.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 13, 2024, 09:56:43 PM »

The problem for me is purely thematic, i want to resist the impossible odds and have a fighting retreat back to my colonies but from the screen shots i've seen unless i have medium fleets up in my system i won't stand a chance. The problem is the size of the starting fleets are already putting pressure on me because why invest in my colonies when i might have to save scum because the event size is insane vs what's actually happening in my colonies. I've already defeated a capital knights of ludd fleet, 1 cruiser/capital PL fleet, and a TT cruiser heavy fleet from the last version. The last time i was in my colony system i watched 5 PL fleets come from out of sensor range and while smaller than the initial one they'd dominate my system fleets.

Once your colonies start to grow thats it, you'd better keep letting them grow and hope you can get ahead of the event bar because otherwise you're *** and your only option will be the talking stuff. I'd honestly rather quit or save scum than do that and it doesn't feel good. It's gotten to the point that i don't want to play because i feel i don't have any options which feels really dumb. This has basically ruined colonies because *** you'd better be over prepared before putting one down.

I can continue struggling to make enough money to prepare for what's coming and hope there's no surprises that basically ruin my save or start a new game and try to save up 15+ mil and throw down 3 colonies at once. This is all because there's no proportion to the event bar with what shows up. The prior iteration of the event bar just stuck you with that annoying -3 stab and access penalty that felt bad but it never shoved 20 pirate armadas into your colonies. What difference would it make to scale the events with colony sizes where the final event was the same size regardless? I could then continue to grow my colonies and have a fighting chance with the talking option being there.

It's fun to fight an endgame fleet when you're prepared and ready for it, imagine if ordos just came out of heavy systems and started attacking you while you just had cruisers.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 13, 2024, 10:06:33 PM »

Yeah if you want to use those weapons for the majority of the playthrough, it's not hard to structure the playthrough so that you get those early on. It seems like most players start with
So it seems like the solution to those issues is better addressed by the player thinking through how they prioritize the different goals at different stages of each playthrough, as opposed to something with the game itself.
There is very much different playstyle preferences and factors here.  Starsector is a sandbox after all.  Someone might already have dealt with half of the endgame content before they build their first colony with a 200-300+ DP strength fleet.  Or they might have a fresh out of tutorial fleet with an early commission and spend all their money on setting up a colony within the first constellation or two they explore.  Building an initial colony is pretty cheap, and it's pretty easy to grow them quite fast with freeport and hazard pay.  200k cash is plenty to put down a naked colony with either a farm or a mine.  A habitable planet nearby the core can easily be size 4 before the first year ends.  And there's nothing stopping, or really suggesting players shouldn't, just plop down a second one pretty fast too.

In my last run, I did a sort of late-early to mid-game colony.  I stumbled on a cryosleeper with a great 75% hazard habitable planet in the same system.  The moment I could clear the Guardian, I set up my first colony on it.  I followed up with a second colony in the same system for heavy industry since I didn't want to spoil the Luddic majority modifier or pollute my habitable world.  At least a year passed before the minor crisis triggered, by that time I had a sufficiently strong fleet to just stomp the raid.  However, I was getting something like 30-40 (would be reduced somewhat on later patches) crisis progress a month and barely had time to do a short expedition I had to drop mid way through to rush home and try and defend against a vastly superior pirate raid that I had to depend on the random crisis fleets floating around my colony to defend against.  When the second major crisis triggered, my fleet was more significantly powerful than it needed to be.

My impression would be that overall, it takes too long for colony crises to get started, but then they start happening way too quickly and don't scale well.  Since a lot of the player's fleet strength isn't tied to their colonies, unless you've got some big heavy industry with nanoforges.  Heck, if you've been investing into colonies, into expensive industries and infrastructure, you haven't been spending that money on buying more ships.

(I'd been intending to try a stress test of this and see how hard things would be if I rushed a colony ASAP, avoiding all rapid cash schemes.  It didn't work out as I got crazy luck that left me with three alpha cores and two salvaged capital ships within the first year and no passable colony targets in the some 30 systems I'd explored.  I've got two AI ships piloted by alphas and an alpha on my colony just to boost accessibility for growth rate and the game is barely more than two years old at this stage!)

chennitoa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 13, 2024, 10:27:24 PM »

Hmm, I'm not seeing this on my end. It might happen if your flagship is the ship that's destroyed, but it's definitely not happening for me for just random ships in your fleet being destroyed.

I've been using the tactical view a lot (the one you open with TAB) and I noticed it doesn't seem to happen when you are just viewing another fleet ship. So in summary, the issue I am facing happens when I have the tactical menu open, while viewing from another ship's perspective (yes it's a bit strange).

Edit: Ok, the issue seems to be more specific. It only happens when your flagship is in view or somehow near the ship that is being destroyed. When having the tactical menu open, your view resets back to the flagship's perspective, but if you don't have the tactical menu open, the view flickers to the flagship's view but goes back in an instant.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 10:30:50 PM by chennitoa »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 13, 2024, 10:36:45 PM »

... but from the screen shots i've seen unless i have medium fleets up in my system i won't stand a chance.

Honestly, I think that might be the problem - you're looking at screenshots and making some assumptions that don't hold up. I personally handled TT and PL events through combat with a fleet that had like, 4 or 5 cruisers in it and was pretty blah overall, and with zero other support. You might need to experiment a bit to figure out what the possible approaches are, but frankly that's just to be expected with any new challenge, and it's not like the game ends if you fail!

And, a bit ironically, if you put down a bunch of colonies in the same system, the downside of failing actually goes way up, since crises target a single system. Some of the "this is how you do it" common wisdom from prior releases doesn't work the same way anymore.

What difference would it make to scale the events with colony sizes where the final event was the same size regardless? I could then continue to grow my colonies and have a fighting chance with the talking option being there.

I'm sorry if what I said wasn't clear, but the "final" 600-point crises also do scale to some degree with colony presence!

I've been using the tactical view a lot (the one you open with TAB) and I noticed it doesn't seem to happen when you are just viewing another fleet ship. So in summary, the issue I am facing happens when I have the tactical menu open, while viewing from another ship's perspective (yes it's a bit strange).

Edit: Ok, the issue seems to be more specific. It only happens when your flagship is in view or somehow near the ship that is being destroyed. When having the tactical menu open, your view resets back to the flagship's perspective, but if you don't have the tactical menu open, the view flickers to the flagship's view but goes back in an instant.

Hmm. Does it need to be a friendly ship, or do enemy ships also cause this? And, are you running with mods?

chennitoa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 13, 2024, 10:40:34 PM »

Hmm. Does it need to be a friendly ship, or do enemy ships also cause this? And, are you running with mods?

I am not running with mods. I haven't really seen any friendly ships be lost, so for now it seems to be happening with only enemy ships.

chennitoa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 13, 2024, 10:49:44 PM »

Also noticing that the issue where ships ball up in response to a phase ship? is acting strange. The Paragon in the image was never given a defend order.
https://imgur.com/a/yuO1EdT

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 13, 2024, 11:19:39 PM »

Maybe he's cold.

Anyways this is a bit random but has anyone seen Luddic Church bounty fleets? From the start of my playthrough I've been doing bounties, both intel and contact ones and I'm yet to see a fleet with Invictuses and Retributions, and I really want to fight them. Everything from other factions normally spawns, Paragons, Onslaughts, Pegasuses, Executors... Have I just been that extremely unlucky?
Please don't take me too seriously.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 14, 2024, 12:24:37 AM »

Anyways this is a bit random but has anyone seen Luddic Church bounty fleets? From the start of my playthrough I've been doing bounties, both intel and contact ones and I'm yet to see a fleet with Invictuses and Retributions, and I really want to fight them. Everything from other factions normally spawns, Paragons, Onslaughts, Pegasuses, Executors... Have I just been that extremely unlucky?
You've just been unlucky.  I've definitely seen them.  Staring at a 200k Luddic church bounty right now.

So in the interest of testing, I modified my Starsector game and changed a few settings.json lines to speed up the crisis meter by a factor of, oh, 10. Its warm and fuzzy feeling when blowback pays out at 1000% instead of 5%, and goes in at a multiple of 10 as well. :)

Anyways, got a 2nd Hegemony check and then finally the Persean League fleet.  First off, I kind of just laughed at the penalty at first, which was simply -60% accessibility, when my accessibility scores were 240%, 165%, and 155%.  I'm not sure I'd actually notice it.  If you're over building your colonies (Alpha cores everywhere, Megaports everywhere, the occasional Fullerene Spool), you can literally just ignore it until you're strong enough to deal with it.  And Alex is right, going forward, if you want to minimize effects, splitting colonies up into different systems will literally reduce the lost income by a huge factor.

As for dealing with it, their supply fleets did not impress me much (Sorry Alex). I deployed 78 DP, a third of my end game fleet, and just wiped it off the map without a sweat.  I definitely think a human piloted Aurora and like 3 Eagles, maybe an omen or two, could take this thing down without losses in the mid-game.

Well since that was so easy, I decided to try something harder, and took on a Supply fleet, a patrol, and 3 detachments simultaneously, with the full 240 DP fleet (425% XP was nice).  Still not a problem. At which point the invasion was over, and didn't even see the big enemy fleet thats supposed to also show up.

Still, one of the biggest Persean League fights I've ever had in vanilla, so that was kinda cool.

So, I'm not seeing an real problems with the event.  It can be chased off with a mid-game fleet via the combat route.  Like, 200k bounty level of difficulty.  Certainly could do it you handed me 2 million credits and told me to go shopping for ships (and maybe did some fighting before hand to get some XP for myself and officers).

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 14, 2024, 02:31:53 AM »

Also noticing that the issue where ships ball up in response to a phase ship? is acting strange. The Paragon in the image was never given a defend order.
https://imgur.com/a/yuO1EdT
see
Weird AI behaviour with eliminate and my destroyer and frigate swarm (autofit with some even worse replacement mods and weapons I guess):
They sometimes, more or less collectively turn into cowards and blob up, far away from the enemy.

1. Wrapping up the fight, my fleet of 2 Sunders, 2 Hammerheads, 2 Brawlers vs one Gremlin and one Enforcer, my ships are maybe(?) out of missiles. Both enemies are surrounded, each one by half of my fleet, so one Sunder, 1 Hammerhead, 1 Brawler for each one of the 2 targets, and the fights are at least 1k su apart, each group has an eliminate order for their respective target (not full assault, maybe I could've done that too I guess) -> suddenly the destroyers (at low flux) while chasing the Gremlin decide they must back off by going through (???) the other brawl group with the Enforcer.
Autofit, badly equipped Dmod vessels, but basically no hull/armour damage on my ships in this one.

2. Wrapping up another fight, even more Sunders, Hammerheads and Brawlers and who knows what else against one pirate Shade and a Manticore, I think I gave eliminate orders for the 2 targets, probably some ships to play with the Shade and the rest on the Manticore, I don't remember how many missiles my ships had left, suddenly my whole fleet backs off and blobs up, dunno at what distance, 1.5k-2.5k su away?
Autofit, still badly equipped and Dmodded, and some ships lost their armour and are at around 50% hull strength.

That Shade trashed me real good, I think it killed 2 ships... And I love it.

Just, real quick - this sounds like the (relatively, since 0.96a) new behavior where ships will try to counter phase ships by forming up into a ball. You can indeed order a full assault to cancel it.

Well...

-----------------------

Vanilla 0.97a-RC8 (all I did is ingame settings stuff like like adjusting the sound volume, battle size 400 and so on).

I shuffled marines around on the Asharu abandoned station, occasionally I get the wrong xp displayed for the marines in storage, the actual xp is still correct, shuffling them around fixes it again.

The abyss is nice and an excellent basis to expand stuff, I like it. I like the new bounties,  reverse polarity is dope and slipsurges, damn I love 'em.

The round mini radar on the bottom right doesn't show asteroid fields, I kindaaaa wish it would.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 02:56:25 AM by Dadada »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 14, 2024, 03:49:39 AM »

And, a bit ironically, if you put down a bunch of colonies in the same system, the downside of failing actually goes way up, since crises target a single system. Some of the "this is how you do it" common wisdom from prior releases doesn't work the same way anymore.
On the other hand, more colonies in a system also means more patrol fleets to soften up the invaders (provided they are hostile enough for them to seek-and-destroy them).  You wrote that they scale based on colony presence, but if it is measured globally, then it is probably better to stack them in one system to make it easier for the player to defend it (higher chance of success).  Again, this is part of overpreparing for the unknown.  That said, I would prefer spreading out my colonies, having at least three systems (two, two, one; or three, one, one) instead of one or two.

Of course, if resolving Hegemony and Pather crises militarily means I can use cores without whack-a-mole or cells breaking stuff, then all of that goes all the window; just throw extra alpha cores into colonies and keep expanding the empire.  Maybe alpha cores sticking around should do more bad things beyond refusing to be removed (but why would the player want to right now)?  Of course, if that happens, maybe let the player remove it cleanly himself with enough story points and marines (similar to creating a stable point in a system).

In my game, I had to choose whether to put one of my worlds in the same system as two others (higher hazard, but more resources plus Domain relays) or a different nearby system (less hazard, no atmosphere for synchrotron or converter items).  In the end, I take the former to exploit the Domain relay for more stability and to reinforce the two other colonies in my system.  Also, having all three worlds in one system made it more convenient and faster to grab all of the fresh marines from my bases before raiding the core worlds for blueprints.

PotatoFarmer1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 14, 2024, 05:21:47 AM »

Hi Alex,

I have a question; I want to see if it is worth it getting both top tier tech skills (automated ships + cybernetic aug) but I don't really know if it is worth it.

I see in the text for cyber aug that it benefits all ships w/ officers (but not AI cores) which I guess makes sense (how do you give implants to an AI core lmao), but can I get some clarification on the part that says "the damage dealt bonus is doubled for the flagship"?

What exactly counts as a flagship? If I was to use the neural link skill to link an Eradicator (where my captain would technically physically be) and another ship - particularly a certain oversized automated Wolf variant; would both ships benefit from the extra dmg from cyber aug at the same time no matter which one you are technically controlling at the time?
Or would the bonus apply only to the ship that you are currently in command of at the moment (like the one you are piloting in game)?
Or does the skill only count your flagship where your captain is actually physically sitting at the moment?

I presume that if you transfer command to another ship (as in physically leave it in the shuttle) then the new ship would become the flagship for the purposes of this skill also right???

I hope you understand my question. I'm not even sure how to accurately test this in game!

Gris

• Commander
  • Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 14, 2024, 06:11:12 AM »

Good day Alex Im Sorry If Im Rude is hotfixing still ongoing on 0.97a?
Thank you!  :-\
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:27:23 AM by Gris »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 14, 2024, 10:00:20 AM »

Thank you for all the feedback, everyone :)

I am not running with mods. I haven't really seen any friendly ships be lost, so for now it seems to be happening with only enemy ships.

Very odd, I'm just not seeing this happen at all! Spent a whole battle watching a Tempest assigned to escort the flagship, and plenty of enemy ships blew up right next to the flagship.

You wrote that they scale based on colony presence, but if it is measured globally

It's not - it's based on player colony presence in the targeted system.

What exactly counts as a flagship? If I was to use the neural link skill to link an Eradicator (where my captain would technically physically be) and another ship - particularly a certain oversized automated Wolf variant; would both ships benefit from the extra dmg from cyber aug at the same time no matter which one you are technically controlling at the time?
Or would the bonus apply only to the ship that you are currently in command of at the moment (like the one you are piloting in game)?
Or does the skill only count your flagship where your captain is actually physically sitting at the moment?

Both ships would benefit from the doubled damage bonus at all times.

I presume that if you transfer command to another ship (as in physically leave it in the shuttle) then the new ship would become the flagship for the purposes of this skill also right???

Correct!

Good day Alex Im Sorry If Im Rude is hotfixing still ongoing on 0.97a?
Thank you!  :-\

If something comes up that warrants a hotfix (i.e. a major issue/crash/something along those lines), then that's still possible. Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be, but we'll see!
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98