Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 98

Author Topic: Starsector 0.97a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 178154 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.97a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1005 on: February 11, 2024, 06:50:53 PM »

Maybe it should be an option from the menu right after you salvage it to try and idiot proof it or salvaging it triggers a mission to deploy the wormhole and see where it connects?

Hmm. I'm actually completely ok with this being possible to screw up somewhat or something not being obvious etc. This is intended to be something you investigate and figure out, not follow a series of overly explicit signposts for. A few things in the game are like that, and this is one of them.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 11, 2024, 11:49:29 PM »

I've noticed looking around at other player's experiences in Limbo that some people are completely missing that you're suppose to immediately deploy the wormhole in the Limbo stable location.  So they get stuck on the quest and have no idea how to proceed.  Maybe it should be an option from the menu right after you salvage it to try and idiot proof it or salvaging it triggers a mission to deploy the wormhole and see where it connects?
This happened to me. I spent about a year just wandering the abyss looking for anything with wormhole in cargo.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 12, 2024, 06:57:46 AM »

I think the game gives you enough nudges to deploy it. The whole “usually this takes a month but it would work immediately here” thing is a pretty strong signpost.

I admit, I almost did put a sensor relay up just to see if overloading it did anything special in the Abyss.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 12, 2024, 09:08:36 AM »

Maybe it should be an option from the menu right after you salvage it to try and idiot proof it or salvaging it triggers a mission to deploy the wormhole and see where it connects?

Hmm. I'm actually completely ok with this being possible to screw up somewhat or something not being obvious etc. This is intended to be something you investigate and figure out, not follow a series of overly explicit signposts for. A few things in the game are like that, and this is one of them.
It may have just been me sad that the one person who uploaded a let's play of the Abyss to Youtube didn't do it and I couldn't see their reaction to seeing what was on the other side.

On the other issue, a small thing that could be done is to make the stable location uninteractable until after the supply cache is opened.  Just so people don't make the entirely reasonable choice of putting something like a sensor array there to speed up looking around the system before they choose to take on the guardian fleet or if they try going there before they're ready to fight the Guardian fleet.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 12, 2024, 10:24:07 AM »

I'm running a ton of mods not even sure if i should make a bug report for this but i ain't seen it before haha!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 12, 2024, 10:29:00 AM »

Definitely a mod issue :)

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 12, 2024, 11:02:50 AM »

I think the game gives you enough nudges to deploy it. The whole “usually this takes a month but it would work immediately here” thing is a pretty strong signpost.

I admit, I almost did put a sensor relay up just to see if overloading it did anything special in the Abyss.

+1 for it was very clear to me. I hadn't read any spoilers here yet; but reading the text in the game made it very clear that I should try installing the wormhole anchor in the stable location I found it next to!
Sure, if you skip through all the conversations in the game you can miss that. It feels like that should be OK, otherwise you lose much of the sense of discovery and wonder from connecting the remaining dots yourself.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 12, 2024, 11:10:08 AM »

+1 for it was very clear to me. I hadn't read any spoilers here yet; but reading the text in the game made it very clear that I should try installing the wormhole anchor in the stable location I found it next to!
Sure, if you skip through all the conversations in the game you can miss that. It feels like that should be OK, otherwise you lose much of the sense of discovery and wonder from connecting the remaining dots yourself.
Isn't the wormhole empty when first entering the system?  I thought about building a comm relay on the empty spot first (for new intel) before trying to loot the object next to it (and trigger the Guardian fight).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 12, 2024, 11:12:26 AM »

Another hotfix is out! Changelog in the OP.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21:52 AM »

Isn't the wormhole empty when first entering the system?  I thought about building a comm relay on the empty spot first (for new intel) before trying to loot the object next to it (and trigger the Guardian fight).

Yes, the stable location is empty, and the hangar/storehouse with the Guardian fleet was orbiting it. (I assume it always does?)
From reading the wormhole anchor description, which mentioned that you need a pair of them, and that it was orbiting a stable location, I had the assumption "the drones were supposed to set up a wormhole here".
Then interacting with the stable location, it had unique text; said something about how the location had already been prepared and so setting up the wormhole would be instant.

It was pretty clear to me that the other half of the wormhole was already set up and I just had to complete the link!
I enjoyed that it was present in clues from the anchor location + text on the stable location, and wasn't too explicitly spelled out. It made the experience of connecting those dots feel great.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 12, 2024, 11:24:14 AM »

(Also: The music when interacting with the Gate Hauler! The same motif as the title screen music, but vastly slowed down to have such a grand and monumental feel. That really got me.)

TuxedoCatfish

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 12, 2024, 12:02:14 PM »

With the reduced cost of neural link / neural integrator, would you consider allowing those to be built-in?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 12, 2024, 01:02:29 PM »

(Also: The music when interacting with the Gate Hauler! The same motif as the title screen music, but vastly slowed down to have such a grand and monumental feel. That really got me.)

That's awesome - passed this along to Stian! (The composer/sound designer.)

Glad to hear of your overall experience with the Gate Hauler and related, sounds like it landed right :)

With the reduced cost of neural link / neural integrator, would you consider allowing those to be built-in?

Hmm, maybe? At this point the cost is low enough that it'd need an s-mod bonus and it's not exactly clear what that might be. Part of the reason for not s-modding this one in is it makes it harder to swap around ships etc since the ship basically only becomes good for this specific purpose (as an NL ship), and is otherwise hobbled with a useless s-mod. Which, I mean - if the player wants to do it, that's fine. But it seems like with the low cost you wouldn't unless the s-mod bonus was compelling, and that gets more involved.

Altogolik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 12, 2024, 01:09:55 PM »

Please add the game to STEAM with support for mods, I will immediately buy again (I think it will greatly increase the popularity of the game and bring a lot of money).

Kuroe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 12, 2024, 01:39:56 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug or not but when visiting Jangala after the tutorial, shrine event only triggers if you goto the station instead of the planet. Planet did have 2 bar events (military bounties and buying codes) not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 98