Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Holes  (Read 272 times)

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Black Holes
« on: December 30, 2023, 11:11:14 PM »

https://imgur.com/a/SvkIkgg

I believe this speaks for itself.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
Re: Black Holes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 11:21:48 PM »

Embeded your pic for convenience.
Also I believe Alex mentioned that AI fleets will become better at avoiding black holes in the next patch, and will e-burn to unstuck themselves if it happens.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »

Just to be clear, what's the object that's in there? I'm having a hard time making it out.

Also I believe Alex mentioned that AI fleets will become better at avoiding black holes in the next patch, and will e-burn to unstuck themselves if it happens.

Thank you! And, yep. Though certain fleets (such as [REDACTED]) don't normally have access to e-burn, so are still more susceptible to this sort of thing.

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 07:46:56 PM »

Just to be clear, what's the object that's in there? I'm having a hard time making it out.

Thank you! And, yep. Though certain fleets (such as [REDACTED]) don't normally have access to e-burn, so are still more susceptible to this sort of thing.

My bad. It's a derelict drone bounty fleet. As you've already discerned, some fleets are prone to getting sucked into the black hole.

Now I know that bounty fleets typically hang out around a terrain feature; either a jump point or a planetary body. For whatever reason (probably related to how the game engine loads in systems) bounty fleets of any kind routinely end up smack dab in the center of the black hole, even if, logically, they should have at least sometimes been loitering near a planet far enough away from the black hole to not be inexorably drawn in, e-burn or not.

Just one of those unforseen edge cases, most likely.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 04:07:36 PM »

Thank you!

I see what you mean about it being related to how they are loaded in - that makes sense, but I don't think that's it. Even if they spawned at (0, 0), whatever code moved them elsewhere would absolutely not care about them being in a black hole at that point.

I think rather it might have to do with the larger simulation step when the player is not in that location - iirc it's around a second per "step" - so essentially the fleet's AI is trying to avoid the black hole while playing something that's a bit of a slideshow for it. Let me actually turn off the black hole effect while the player isn't in the same location - that seems like the most sensible solution.