Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Skill Tweaks  (Read 13975 times)

Sorbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Tweaks
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2023, 04:18:05 AM »

Ordnance Expertise increases the ship’s flux stats (in brief, flux builds up when you fire weapons, the more of it you can dissipate, and the higher your ship’s capacity, the more weapons fire you can sustain). Its elite effects isn’t flashy, but it’s good enough. The baseline effect, +2 flux dissipation for every ordnance point spent on weapons, though… well, it’s too strong. This skill is almost an auto-pick on an officer, but more problematically, it changes the balance of the game by letting ships fit too many offense-focused weapons and making things like point-defense less valuable. There are other factors involved here, for sure – some overall reduction in weapon flux generation, a few new low-flux weapon options, other means available for improving flux stats – but Ordnance Expertise is part of the picture, too. So the baseline effect gets a modest reduction – 1.5 instead of 2 points. It doesn’t need to be nerfed into the ground, just enough that other skills might be more competitive against it, so I think it makes sense to start with a conservative change.

Tbh, I grew to resent this skill because of flux dissipation gains. Its practically enslaved me. I always grab it on every single officer or I just can't help myself but feel like I am missing out. Winning flux war is always useful, no matter the build or ship design. Doesn't matter if you build for offense or defense (shield elite allows to vent hard flux with raised shield so more dissipation = better). For the same reason, I never leave any weapon slots empty anymore. This skill made me obsessed and I definitely enjoyed tweaking builds way more when it was not a factor.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2023, 04:50:30 AM »

Hello! Figured I'd give my thoughts as the local Skills Enthusiast!

On combat effects:
First, it's great to see the skill effects getting cleaned up. I also made my versions messy until the last patch and it feels much better again when they're focused; I think it'll be a great improvement here too. 
I notice there's a lot of things switching to use +damage and -damage taken. I have some experience (read: hundreds of hours of @_@) testing and tweaking these specific interactions and have some suggestions. When every offensive effect gives a bonus to flat damage then it stops mattering which combat skill you or an opponent have; flat damage vs HP flattens the shield/armor/hull system entirely. In my experience it is very engaging when an opposing officer is strong or weak against your specific ship based on their personal skills - I actually look to check in combat! Damage taken/dealt vs hull size could also have a fun dynamic, and it's very easy to read during gameplay, but there'd have to be new effects to fill it out from both directions.
I think stock skills would remain approachable and be more engaging if they provided damage and defense bonuses to one defense layer at a time. You could even make the effects interlocking across different skills!

On Helmsmanship:
My overall preference is for the old zero-flux gameplay, I also find the new effect frustrating in practice. I agree right now Helmsmanship feels underpowered even in the old configuration (QC's default). My thought is that the current effects should be rolled into the base tier and a new elite bonus given; that would at least make it feel like a decent option for a fast officer (or else it costs an SP + elite slot to be useful). That elite effect could be the maneuverability bonus (from IM) or perhaps a defensive effect, the first would make taking the skill really impactful and the latter would be an easily-justified way to spread out the -damage effects.

On ECM:
The push-pull effect looks great to me. When I was approaching ECM I ended up mixing and matching about every effect I could think of, but autoaim and recoil penalties felt the best in gameplay to me. I tried to spread the pain of ECM out beyond -range and I think there are a lot of options there if you're looking to change it up. The instant capture bonus might make the skill a must-take and reduce other builds, though.

Cybernetic Augments:
The new effect is interesting, I don't have a good sense of if it'll feel strong or weak in vanilla builds. I'm somewhat cautious that it'll make mods with skill changes (inc. just more levels) very inconsistent suddenly. Could the effect be something more dynamic, say +1% per deployed officer?

Neural Link:
I'm in the boat of wanting skills to always be at least a little useful even when not specialized. This one frustrates me because unless you're using specific ships with specific hullmods, it's dead weight on your character. Skills shouldn't be something you respec to and from to fly, it adds a huge activation burden to try those playstyles. Short of removing the skill gate entirely, could it get a secondary effect? Something that boosts officers or the fleet would make it worth keeping around.

Nice to see the skill set polishing and evolving :D

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2023, 05:44:41 AM »

Starting out with my favorite part, the "there are actual numbers in this post please don't make me regret it" tag :)

Overall I don't like the power creep: officers lose 1 elite if you had cyber aug but get up to 3 big boosts. Range, damage output/mitigation, speed are all options so not something minor.
Cyber aug also gives a minor damage output/mitigation combo to officers only on top of that (at least you can't get it very high without giving up something important).
Non-officered ships without support doctrine were already pretty bad, making them worse makes some fleet compositions and ship types feel weak.
Now they will wander around with a much bigger stat disadvantage, +less range, +less speed.

If this is the direction you like I think officer counts should be increased and support doctrine buffed more, so there are more good options without having skilless dead weight.
Or just remove elites from all officers, officers are weaker and player ships stand out more (but people who are good at piloting sleepwalk over the AI, tough problems all around).

Individual skills:
  • Impact mitigation, damage control: impact mitigation was pretty useful, but often not in the top 5-6. Damage control was plain bad IMO. Now they feel less like a "want to make full use of armor" tax, really like this change. Downside is that every Radiant has both of these elited, so the base effects are less useful
  • Target analysis: love this change, destroyers get a minor boost and frigates a minor nerf
  • Combat endurance: great change, elite regeneration is still situational but its use is not as narrow as before
  • Helmsmanship: needed a boost, and also helps out support doctrine a bit
  • Missile expertise: duh, needed a kicking. It's too strong even without the elite
  • Ballistic mastery: I think it was already very strong (both the base and the elite), another boost seems too much
  • Gunnery implants: it was already strong, don't think it needs a buff. Further increasing range difference between skilled/unskilled is tough on the AI, officerless ships will get slaughtered much harder

Glad to see buffs for Hull Restoration
I think this was a nerf, previously you could pick up hull restoration for another 15% CR (reaches 100% with support doctrine, frees up an officer skill otherwise).
DP cost reduction is a very strong effect ofc, but at 10% it's at most a sidegrade to a fleetwide damage/durability buff (Alex regretting posting numbers right around at this point).
Like the new version better thematically, no way to get deployment cost reduction on pristine officered ships any other way.

I gave it a bit of a whirl earlier and their fleets seemed to have ECM in the 30's, at least on initial deployment, not 40+. Though I guess this will vary with battle size; mine's at 400 which is the vanilla max.
IIRC you mentioned changing deployment rules to fix Radiants mostly spawning in big waves at the end, that could've changed it.
In the current version they basically never have <40 ECM rating for me on initial deployment (10/10 was >45 with a single fleet, default battle size).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 05:50:59 AM by Draba »

SoSD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2023, 06:00:38 AM »

I think the changes are quite interesting overall and I am eager to try this out.

That said, I do agree that the offensive elite bonuses to the defensive skills feel a bit weird.

If that ends up being rolled back, perhaps Damage Control could provide a reduction to engine and weapon damage taken as well (or a boost to engine and weapon durability if that would be difficult) in addition to the repair time bonus.

I also agree with the earlier comment lamenting the lack of carrier enhancing skills - as it stands, it feels like a waste to put an officer in a carrier.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 09:34:48 AM by SoSD »

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2023, 06:12:58 AM »

mine's at 400 which is the vanilla max.
Could've sworn the vanilla max was 500...
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2023, 06:18:13 AM »

I just realized that, at least in my specific case, officers will get nerfed twice: once because they lose an elite skill, and again because I will now have to start taking Combat Endurance since Hull Restoration doesn't give me CR anymore. So it's like they're losing a regular skill as well.

Support Doctrine on the other hand looks stronger then ever... time to switch?

Could've sworn the vanilla max was 500...

The vanilla max is actually 480. 400 is just the initial deployment(because one side can get 240 and the other 160) But after that the "losing" side can grab objectives to get themselves to 240.

Sir Arcana

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2023, 06:36:13 AM »

Hello. I don't interact much because I prefer being a bit of a ghost, but I feel like I should say a few things, even if some of them are mimicry of things previously mentioned.

First, my frame of reference. I like fleets that consist primarily of high tech ships (Furys, Shrikes, Omens, the occasional Medusa, Heron, or Astral as my flagship) with a pile of [REDACTED] ships serving alongside the human-piloted ones (Mostly Fulgents and Lumens but sometimes a Brilliant, I don't really like using the Radiant too much despite it definitely being the fan-favourite). I try to stay under the limits set in Crew Training and Automated Ships because I don't enjoy seeing the bonuses degrade, same with Carrier Group, Fighter Uplink, and Phase Coil Tuning. I like beams in general, and I genuinely adore High Scatter Amplifier in concept (though the specific and current implementation is a bit weak). I don't really build optimal fleet compositions and that's fine to me. My skill choices tend to be fleetwide bonuses, as in my eye you can always hire someone to give a ship Polarized Armor and Field Modulation, but only the player can grant Field Repairs and Makeshift Equipment. Sometimes I do make a combat aptitude character though, and those memories are particularly relevant here and now.

Firstly, things I like. Important to recognize. I like the changes to ECM. Being more easily accessed and less all-or-nothing is great. Cybernetic Augmentation too, curiously useful bonuses. Neural Link/Integrator will finally be something I can justify to myself using, it will be good fun to use.

Ballistic Mastery is a odd buff. I understand the desire to pair a soft buff with a hard one, but projectile speed already seems like a hard buff to me. Autocannons, the Mortars, and Flak Cannons all become noticeably more responsive and accurate. I'm not upset about it getting extra damage though, move faster and hit harder makes sense.

Impact Mitigation, Damage Control, and Field Modulation were strange changes, I think. After all, the intent of the skill point investment in each case was to improve a specific defensive aspect of the ship behind the pilot. Improve your armor-tanking and damage spreading, shrug off a potentially lethal torpedo, bolster your primary (at least for high-tech) line of defense. The Elite bonus is an amplified version of what is already your choice/intent.

For Damage Control in particular, the ability to look at an unavoidable Reaper and choose to take it on armor is an amazing ability. Even if it's not being actively used in combat, the security of having the skill just in case is really nice. It lets you be a little less cautious, a little more aggressive. Maybe you can jump in after a retreating enemy, or lower your shield to save on upkeep with particularly hot weapons. With the safety net that is Elite Damage Control, you can afford to play a bit more flashy, just like the narrative of an elite starship pilot suggests. Removing would be a real shame, especially because the issue doesn't seem to be numerically related, but with feedback. A small flash, a different explosion sound or shape, something recognizable to show on both sides (dealing and receiving) that the skill activated would be a good fix, I think.
Otherwise I don't think these three skills should change.

Similar (but lesser) thoughts on Elite Systems Expertise. I liked how it lets you run you ship just a bit harder/longer, skirting the edge of burning yourself out. I agree that a grab-bag of random effects are uninteresting, but I don't think you were far off with your initial design. The only change I'd suggest for E-SE would be to swap the +30 seconds to PPT to a reduction in CR degradation, something similarly small like 10%. Interacts nicely with the reduced malfunction chance. The overload duration reduction is mechanically and thematically fine too, at least to me. Overloading is not something you want to happen, but it is an inevitability, if not for you then for your fellow pilots. Being the one source of reducing it is valuable, even if it's reducing something you want to avoid in the first place.

Lesser still, thoughts on Hull Restoration. I'll miss the CR bonus, but the DP reduction is far better. My only question is when/where is it applied, before Crew Training, Automated Ships, Phase Coil Tuning, and the like, or after? Does Hull Restoration reduce the DP impact of a Harbinger on Phase Coil Tuning?

For Support Doctrine, it's a little hard to consider as it's nearly opposite to how I play. I have a similar reaction though, "see how it goes".

A few scattered thoughts to close.
Energy Weapon Mastery. I like energy weapons a whole lot, so it's an obvious pick for me. However, I don't like how low the range limit is. I am very biased and know it has been analyzed to death, so all I can say is that not needing to hug the enemy would be great.
High Scatter Amplifier. Not a skill, but it's included with EWM so it counts a little bit, right? Anyway, similar thoughts as with EWM, but the biggest thing for me is the interaction with PD weapons. A 50% range cut past 200 is already significantly painful for main weapons, but crippling for the only (Very Redacted ignored) available energy point defense. PD Lasers drop to 300, Burst PD to 350, Paladin drops to 475, and the slight increase to beam damage doesn't make up for the loss in tracking, both because missiles/fighters need to be closer before turning to target and closer targets travel faster relative to turret traversal. It'd be nice to have the range cut start a bit later, like at 400, to have PD weapons exempt from HSA entirely, or to have beams inflict only part of their inflicted damage as hard flux instead of cutting their range (maybe for between max and half range, deal between X% and 100% of damage as hard flux?).

That got a little ramble-y at the end, sorry about that! First post in mostly forever, last was a bug report, and none before that. I hope at least something here was insightful, even if it's just about how some game systems are used by a particularly niche captain. I'll respond if mentioned (or at least I'll try) but otherwise this might be all I'll say.
Thank you for your time and attention.

ZePumpkinKing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2023, 06:42:47 AM »

Seems like a bunch of interesting changes but I have one very major problem:

Automated ships isn't mentioned or tweaked, and is in fact made pointless to a portion of players by the Hull Restoration CR improvement removal.

See the problem I have is that I get that skill purely for a single fully integrated alpha radiant, or in modded cases something larger. This makes the scaling angry, and CR goes below even malfunction risk range without 2-3 S mods. What's the point of getting this skill for one ship if it isn't gonna be maxed out?

I would even go far as to say it's a bit against the fantasy that you can't just have a Remnant allied fleet to come back and smash the Hegemony with! I feel like CR reduction is too much of a downside to using automated ships, especially to the degree it invalidates them now...

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2023, 06:44:39 AM »

Impromptu writings are the best - they always offer a detailed insight into one's thought process  :P

More seriously, though, this is much, much more that I'd expected when I saw prior mentions of a skill rework, and reading about it all is hugely unexpected for me.

First I'd like to note, re:
...A player that’s better in piloting will get a lot of mileage out their flagship being stronger. A player that’s not so good at it – or one that just elects to command their fleet and doesn’t even try to pilot a ship themselves – won’t...
I would argue that this "mileage gap" is not nearly as large as this statement (presumably) makes it out to be. I've first played this game in ~2015 and, unless a player plans on never flagshipping a combat ship (or, at least, one that would never see action outside getting pursued), investing into combat skills had always been a worthwhile investment, as even the "first tier" of bonuses would go a long way to make the player's ship more survivable and more effective, especially if it's on autopilot. A player skilled at manual piloting can make do with their overall piloting ability, knowledge of controls and knowledge of AI behaviours and quirks, while combat skills go a long way to compensate for AI's shortcomings. The performance difference between an officer-less ship and the same one with, say, a level 7 officer is very noticeable, but a sufficiently skilled player in an appropriately-equipped ship (i.e. which doesn't simply get hard-countered and shut down, but is actually able to deal damage - the specifics of which are not the point of this post) will be able to overcome and defeat both. One will just be a harder/more time-consuming process than the other.
To clarify, I do understand that the Combat skill tree will hold the most appeal to players who prefer to manually control a (souped-up combat) ship, I just believe there's also significant appeal for it for players that elect to let autopilot handle it. I apologize if this comes off as too hair-splitting.

As for combat skills themselves? This is what surprises me the most, out of everything mentioned in the blog post. I thought combat skills were strong enough as-is, and that the focus of the rebalance would be on other skill trees. Still, I don't have any gripes with it, either - now I'm looking forward to revisit the viability of soloing enemy fleets a lá certain older versions of Starsector, like back when Augmented Engines was just a better Unstable Injector  8)

I'm glad about the ECM rating changes! You're definitely right, the binary nature of the system definitely makes investing into ECM skills not very appealing, if I'd rather get some other skills instead - the 15 level limit is too restrictive to have players go "oh, I'll just pick up ECM skills along the way as I level up trying to achieve my desired build". I believe the added granularity will go a ways to have more people consider getting the EW skill now. I also agree with your assesment of the Gunnery Implants skill's elite effect - have you considered making it so it gives you an effect akin to a lesser s-modded ECCM Package? I think something along the lines of conferring a partial (not full, we wouldn't want to make the aforementioned mod obsolescent) negative ECM effect negation and/or enabling autofiring weapons to ignore flares? (preferably not both at once, same reason as before) Otherwise I agree that further range increases would be overkill - but I believe something along the lines of my suggestion would be more interesting than simply dividing the existing bonus between regular and elite skill tiers.

Last but not least, regarding changes to Neural Integrator, there's a lot on my mind about this, and my post is already getting fairly long, so I'll try and keep this short.
So: instead of having an extreme OP cost, let’s change NI to increase the ship’s deployment points instead, say by 20%.
Could you clarify how not-extreme the OP cost would now be? Does this also mean this mod can be built-in, or has that stayed as-is?

Also, more pressingly, would you please consider retouching the skill's effect prerequisites so that the player can transfer command to the neurally-integrated automated ship pre-battle, and not need a non-automated ship with neural link deployed alongside it? (Or, make it so that the player can just permanently assign themselves to a neurally-linked automated ship, should they have both the prerequisite skill and hullmods installed? Could handwave it that the player character is physically present on another, non-automated ship.)
My personal gripe with this skill is that, while the Radiant is indeed incredibly powerful in player hands, the effort and resources required to actually get to the point of being able to pilot one are rather enormous - and while the currently described changes to the technology tree alleviate a part of this cost, I believe this entire setup is still, frankly, underwhelming because of the requirements for this hypothetical neurally-integrated Radiant build to work. I could handle the severe OP penalty neural integrator placed on the Radiant itself, but needing your 'regular' flagship deployed on the field as a controller proved too harsh a requirement for me. Deploying a Radiant already takes up a large amount of points, even moreso with these changes, and whatever else I deploy alongside the required 'controller' flagship just isn't going to be up to par to defend itself against the inevitably overwhelming enemy ships, the dealing with which is, frankly, the sole consideration for me to go through the process of acquiring a pilotable Radiant in the first place. And, if one could manage to defeat a Radiant and all the other Remnant ships accompanying it in a fleet, I believe it's not a stretch for a player to reach the conclusion that they don't really need a pilotable Radiant in their fleet at all, as there's very few combat encounters in the game more dangerous than defeating such a fleet. (and if a player, manually piloting their flagship, was able to beat such a fleet, then they could just keep on flying that fleet, with their skill points spent in skills of their choosing, instead of reserving a large portion of points in skills they might not want to get otherwise (again, subject to change with the described changes which I'm very much looking forward to! But which also doesn't touch on the sheer effort needed to get to the point of actually owning a Radiant) for this one very, very specific, niche, ultimately entirely optional thing!)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2023, 07:09:56 AM »

As a player that has done pretty much every run with multiple combat skills and have also done "only one ship" type of challenges, I am extremely excited by these changes. Especially the ones that will impact the Nova, I really wanted to use it during the last patch but it was really crippled by the OP from the required hullmod. Good changes all around.

Alices

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2023, 07:47:46 AM »

Neural interface is one of my favorite skills. I always have 2 afflictors with it late game. Really nice to see ECM getting a rework too.

IChugCrispix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2023, 08:03:22 AM »

Interested in seeing how these changes shakeout in the next update. I enjoyed Support Doctrine + Automated Ships + Hull Restoration to field a large group of uncored drones. SD/HR changes look like a solid buff.

Talk about balancing Automated Ships always centers around the Radiant but will we ever get the ability to adjust AI ship/officer personality? Player automated ships being locked into Fearless+ often just makes them suicidal unless you build the human part of your fleet around maximum aggression. I regularly see entirely preventable losses due to droneships refusing to back off despite high flux and explicit orders.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 08:32:26 AM by IChugCrispix »

Tranquility

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2023, 09:26:04 AM »

In general, I do like the direction these "skill tweaks" are taking, with more understandable and more concrete bonuses to enhance the existing skill-set. With all the buffs to combat skills, though, it does make having unboosted unofficered ships to support your fleet a little less enticing, and it makes unofficered ships from any faction - besides the Hegemony, who has the soon-to-be-buffed Support Doctrine as a possible commander skill, and the Remnants, who have a bunch of AI cores instead (maybe too much cores, actually) - comparatively weaker. However, the changes to ECM (which favor a wide fleet with more ships than officers) and Hull Restoration (which minimizes the penalty for losing smaller ships, which tend to be deployed without officers) probably balances this out in the player's favor, so I guess we'll have to see when the update releases.

Also, since I did notice a couple of people being worried about the elite skill effect changes heavily favoring the Remnants even more than usual, I think I'll list out the effective stat changes to the default skill-set as used by AI cores and, thus, Remnant officers:
  • Gamma Cores gets these elite skills:
    * Helmsmanship - Buffed, with +5su flat boost to speed (and +5% more top speed from base effect)
    * Impact Mitigation - Buffed, with +10% increased hit strength for armor calculation purposes
    * Combat Endurance - Buffed, with hull regeneration starting at 100% instead of 50%
  • Beta Cores get the above skills, plus these ones:
    * Target Analysis - Buffed, with +5% more damage to frigates (and will still keep the +10% more damage to destroyer bonus, since it's elite)
    * Gunnery Implants - Buffed, with +5% more range
  • Alpha Cores on non-capital ships get the above skills, plus these ones:
    * Field Modulation - Buffed, with +5% more damage to shields
    * Damage Control - Buffed, with +15% more damage to hull
  • Alpha Cores on capital ships get the above skills, except they replace Combat Endurance with:
    * Polarized Armor - Unchanged
So, basically, in combination with the incoming ECM changes, yes, these changes will make Remnants overall more deadly and harder to pin down without effective burst damage. My initial thought before doing this was thinking that thematic damage bonuses as elite effects for defensive skills, while somewhat weird to see, makes sense because taking these kinds of skills normally comes at the opportunity cost of not getting the more powerful weapon skills like Ballistic Mastery or Gunnery Implants. Unfortunately, it turns out Remnant AI cores, who are forced into defensive skills anyways, now get basically a skill-and-a-half worth of damage effects from these incoming changes, as compared to the current skill stats. Since Ordos spawned from fully-functional Remnant stations usually have most of their ships decked out with AI cores, the elite skill changes will make the power disparity between them and the human factions higher than what it is currently, which - now that I think about it - could be fine if Remnants are intended to be an end-game challenge (with smaller Ordos from half-functional stations being the stepping stone to that). Of course, if they're not intended to be that, then it'll be worrying to see what the real end-game challenge will be (Is the Domain coming back with godlike officers rivaling that of [VERY REDACTED] cores? Are those [VERY REDACTED] ships going to appear as actual, proper fleets, with a gazillion of those [VERY REDACTED] cores? Or are aliens gonna show up at the Gates to blast everyone with OP weapons? Who knows!?!?!?)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 09:27:39 AM by Tranquility »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2023, 09:52:29 AM »

Hm. While there's some sense in the damage output buff changes being added to defensive skills, I can also see the arguments against it. So I started writing up some suggestions of an alternative - and found that my suggestion list had grown a bit past just that. Still. Here are some thoughts that might be useful.

• Damage Control: Just straight-up steal the hull regeneration from Combat Endurance. (In its upgraded form, so, regen starts at anything below 100% hull.)
• Field Modulation: Add in the 25% overload reduction that Systems Expertise won't have anymore.
• Impact Mitigation: Cut the maneuverability bonus to 25% for all hull sizes. Add: Increases minimum armor strength for damage reduction calculations from 5% to 10%. (As an extra bonus, this tells players that there's a minimum armor strength! Which they might not otherwise know.)
• Combat Endurance: Now this skill needs a new elite bonus. Simple enough: Malfunctions do not start until below 20% CR; additionally, after combat ends, restore one-half of any CR lost to extended deployment.
• Helmsmanship: Cut the maneuverability bonus to 25%. Retain the increase to 15% speed from base skill. Retain the +10 max speed for elite skill. Cut the existing zero-flux-boost modifying thing, replace with: "The zero-flux boost provides an additional +50 top speed. (For ships with Safety Overrides, this bonus only applies when actually at zero flux.)"

And a freebie bonus suggestion:
• Cybernetic Augmentation: Explicitly cap the effect at 10%. This gives some encouragement to not just go all-in on 12 flagship skills with it, and, more importantly, means that its balance isn't going to get too absurd for players with modded skill cap increases. (Why 12? Well, you need Sensors to unlock rank two tech, and Cybernetic Augmentation itself isn't elitable either, and Crew Training is just too good to pass up even if you're going all-in on your flagship.)

I'm also, the more that I think about it, not entirely happy with the plain 10% damage reduction as the Systems Expertise elite effect. On the other hand, while I do have ideas for what one might replace it with... none of those ideas fit into the paradigm of "things you can do real fast and are unlikely to break".
For example: x1.5 flux dissipation for six seconds after activating your ship system. Powerful, feels more thematic to me, but probably complex to code, difficult to balance the numbers, and would promote a "flicker fortress shields to keep the flux buff rolling" playstyle that we probably don't actually want to encourage. So. Uh. Don't do that. It's an idea, that might maybe lead to more good ideas, but certainly isn't a good one on its own.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

nukularpower

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2023, 10:17:24 AM »

It's always really bothered me that there are just 3 "logistics" skills really that improve your fuel and supply use (including derelict ops, which is silly not to take imo), and that all can be acquired very early, and then you never ever see another benefit to those areas again.   Personally I would prefer the old 3-tier skill system, where you cant get the "max" benefit until your character is level 10, or even 15 - late game skills to allow you to field bigger/more expensive fleets at that point in the game.   

Currently once you get to level 5 or so you already have the max benefit to what size fleet you can realistically operate and that just feels wrong to me
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17