Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Flagship  (Read 18061 times)

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
Re: Flagship
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »

I like to start out with a Hyperion and move up to an Odyssey. I really like high tech with all of the lasers and such. I just hate going slow. And I like ramming Hounds with my shielded Hyperion. I kind of feel like its revenge.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »

I usually fly an Enforcer and wreck things solo, but I'm also a fan of the dual-HMG Hammerhead, and the newly buffed Eagle is a blast.

At the top end of things, I love the versatility, speed, and outright firepower of the Conquest.

However, I'll change it up. I've been having a lot of fun with a Tachyon Lance/Railgun Sunder.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 12:32:30 AM »

I like to start out with a Hyperion and move up to an Odyssey. I really like high tech with all of the lasers and such. I just hate going slow. And I like ramming Hounds with my shielded Hyperion. I kind of feel like its revenge.

Are you sure that's a good idea? When I ram into things with my Onslaught (it's a close combat ship with terrible brakes, go figure!) I take single digit armor damage but the shield I hit takes about a thousand damage points. Kinda logical that ramming is kinetic damage.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »

Are you sure that's a good idea? When I ram into things with my Onslaught (it's a close combat ship with terrible brakes, go figure!) I take single digit armor damage but the shield I hit takes about a thousand damage points. Kinda logical that ramming is kinetic damage.
Technicly, it's "energy" damage.  Something as massive as an Onslaught would crush armor and hull as well as shields, no doubt. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »

Energy? but how?
Hound=Troll machine

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 07:23:33 AM »

Energy? but how?
Well, there isn't any other "universal" damage is there?
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »

I prefer some thing fast and versatile. Like a medusa or an Ajax. That way i can stop gaps in my lines and intercept, sneak capping points is fun.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »

Energy? but how?
Well, there isn't any other "universal" damage is there?
is it just a guess then, or did you actually figure out its energy damage?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »

is it just a guess then, or did you actually figure out its energy damage?
-_-
Really think I did that? ;D

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »

I have a few preferred Flagships
Astral, when I'm rolling fighter pwnage.
Odyssey, when I'm rolling tactical supremacy.
Onslaught, when I'm rolling mixed fleet.
Apogee when I'm rolling solo ownage.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 01:41:17 AM »

The Conquest is assuredly my favorite vanilla ship, hands down.  In general I love expansion tech, but something about the Conquest appeals to me in every way.

I think a large part of my love for it is that the stock "Elite" variant is so atrocious (front torpedoes on a broadside fighting ship!?  what?!)  >:(

Mine is similar to what someone mentioned earlier, though it took a ton of trial and error to find a variant that fits, and LORD does it fit.  A storm needler, two heavy maulers, and a hephaestus assault gun on each side, burst PD lasers all over, with two MIRVs on front and two Sabot SRM pods on the side.  I leverage my maneuverability and speed at long range with an Integrated Targetting unit, and cut a swath in any fleet.

If I get anything bigger than a Conquest like an Onslaught, I let the AI handle it.  I'm too attached to it.  But before the Conquest I'll generally helm my biggest ship, be it an Eagle or whatever.  And anything I fly needs to be fit for Assault.

enigma74

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »

Buffalo is a fun poor man's flagship. Wouldn't pay for one, though. WINK!

Ugh, the buffalo.  I made the mistake of trying to captain one, and it's just terrible in almost every way.  No shields, no speed, no survivability.  I think every single frigate in the game is a better choice than a buffalo as a flagship.  The only thing the buffalo can be is a glass cannon missile boat WAY in the back of your lines.

When I see the enemy fleet use buffalos, they're pretty much as good as dead.  Most stock buffalos run out of missiles really fast, so they are literally floating liabilities after a few minutes of fighting.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »

Yeah, in starfarer terms, "Buffalo" means piñata to me

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »

If I get anything bigger than a Conquest like an Onslaught, I let the AI handle it.  I'm too attached to it.  But before the Conquest I'll generally helm my biggest ship, be it an Eagle or whatever.  And anything I fly needs to be fit for Assault.

You can keep the Conq in the second row of the attack then, since it's a Capital it should get enough range from the ITU to let other ships get closer and draw the Onslaught's attention while you give it the broadside.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 01:30:22 PM »

Yeah, in starfarer terms, "Buffalo" means piñata to me

There should be roughly six buffalos just for our enjoyment in run sim
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4