Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game not using Dedicated GPU  (Read 356 times)

Popert

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Game not using Dedicated GPU
« on: October 27, 2023, 05:14:42 AM »

Hi, I have a pretty decent laptop with a 3060 GPU and an integrated AMD graphics card. But for some reason, the game refuses to use the dedicated GPU. I've done everything from setting the game exe and the Java exe to high performance mode on Nvidia control and on windows as well. But the game is stuck on the integrated card. The task manager shows that it's still use GPU 0, which is the integrated card. I'd appreciate any help.

vitowns

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Game not using Dedicated GPU
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 07:48:58 AM »

I need help please i think i got the same issue.. the game keeps warning me that my VRAM is low when im flying around or unpausing.. I don't know what to do im on gtx 1050 ti + integrated crap intel card... I feel it uses the intel one... I don't even know what to do i directed nvidia control panel to Star Sector.exe but nothing helped!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 08:18:28 AM »

Hi, I have a pretty decent laptop with a 3060 GPU and an integrated AMD graphics card. But for some reason, the game refuses to use the dedicated GPU. I've done everything from setting the game exe and the Java exe to high performance mode on Nvidia control and on windows as well. But the game is stuck on the integrated card. The task manager shows that it's still use GPU 0, which is the integrated card. I'd appreciate any help.

Hmm. Just to be clear, are you setting the java.exe found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre\bin (or wherever you installed the game)? Just in case you're setting it for some other java.exe elsewhere on your system.

Also, are these instructions at all helpful? Apologies that I can't really be more clear/specific, this is not something I have any experience with doing myself; my PC doesn't have an integrated card.

Popert

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 02:02:48 AM »

Thank you for your reply.

I have indeed set the Java.exe that is in the game's JRE folder to High Performance in both the Nvidia control panel and windows graphics settings. But task manager still shows that the game is using GPU-0, which is my integrated GPU. MSI also doesn't the temps of dedicated GPU when playing the game, meaning that it's not being utilized. I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 04:13:42 PM »

The only other thing that comes to mind - are the power management options set to some kind of power-saving mode? If so, I'd suggest setting it to best performance/whatever the "don't try to be smart about power use" option is.

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 01:13:40 AM »

You can check which apps are allocated to which GPUs if you go into the registry at this address

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX\UserGpuPreferences

You should see a list of entries based on full path (in my case "T:\Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe" - quotes are necessary if the path includes spaces, best to use them always)

GpuPreference=1 is usually the integrated card and GpuPreference=2 is the dedicated card. (Task manager reports them as GPU0 and GPU1)

You can use the command line to add the entry if you enter the following into the admin command prompt

reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX\UserGpuPreferences /v "T:\Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "GpuPreference=2;" /f

The path should be changed to yours, most likely this is where the issue lies. To be 100% sure you can Shift+right click the java.exe file and choose "copy as path" to make sure you have the correct path.

Hope this helps

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 01:18:06 AM »

i directed nvidia control panel to Star Sector.exe but nothing helped!

The game is run using Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe so try that instead in the nvidia control panel

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 01:24:12 AM »

Assuming you have installed Starsector to the default location

Copy and paste the following into an admin command prompt

For iGPU
reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX\UserGpuPreferences /v "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "GpuPreference=1;" /f

OR

For dGPU
reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX\UserGpuPreferences /v "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "GpuPreference=2;" /f