Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frigate With Fighters Does Not Engage  (Read 239 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Frigate With Fighters Does Not Engage
« on: October 11, 2023, 05:47:25 PM »

If a frigate without the CARRIER tag has fighters with >0 roam range, it will avoid enemies while all its fighters are alive. If one dies it will move in, but if its wing gets back to 100% then it retreats again.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Frigate With Fighters Does Not Engage
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 10:28:58 AM »

Hmm, I just tested this by removing the CARRIER hint from the Shepherd, and it seems to move in fine with all 6 drones still up.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 01:38:55 PM »

Now the mod-ship I was having trouble with isn't doing it >:( It was doing it consistently for me yesterday.

And the AI seems to be working substantially better with the ship in general even though the only thing different is a script for a PD weapon that makes it hit more reliably, which some of the variants I tested don't even have...

And after restarting the client the mod-ship did it again... even moving outside its 4000 su fighter range. But sometimes it attacked with its fighters even when the wing was full.

Okay, maybe I am seeing multiple AI issues that look alike, IDK, but I've got one semi-vanilla test case with extreme back-off that should be simple to reproduce:
- give Hyperion a single flight deck
- in Edit Variants with the Attack Hyperion:
  - remove 2 caps
  - remove Flux Distributor
  - install Gladius wing
- in sim deploy Mule (with Salamanders) and put Hyperion on autopilot

First test for me: the Hyperion attacked as it should at first, but then it backed off avoiding a Salamander, got flamed out, floated away, blocked another Salamander once its engines came back on, and proceeded to stay way back on purpose.

Second test: stayed way back on purpose after backing off to vent and had Salamanders shot at it (blocked them this time, though).

Third test: continued to back off after venting, even after teleporting forwards, but then it got flamed out by a Salamander so I did not get to see if it would have kept running away.

Fourth test: vented, jumped in, seemingly ignored 2 Salamanders circling it but managed to block them anyways, then backed way off for no reason.

Fifth test: vented and backed off almost 3000 su.

Restarted with absolutely zero mods (other than flight deck on Hyperion):

Sixth test: did not do it.

Seventh test: backed off almost 4000 su, partially due to evading a Salamander that caught up with it after it started backing off. Also backed off when it was at 0 flux, Mule was very high, but all fighters were dead, but that seems almost reasonable. Sometimes it attacks in that situ, though.

Eighth test: backed off at beginning, don't know why bc I wasn't watching. Then backed off again after venting, continuing to back off even after teleporting into weapon range. Backed off again later to almost 4k, might have started moving again when Mule started venting but I could not tell the exact timing.

So not exactly the same as what my mod-ship was doing, but similar. Did get my mod-ship to do the same thing as the Hyperion, though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »

Hmm - could you try this vs an opponent that does not fire off Salamanders? What you're describing sounds like it involves a big dose of "avoiding Salamanders" which at best is obscuring the actual issue and making your test results inconsistent.

Edit: also, have you tried CARRIER, COMBAT as a workaround? Might be worth a shot.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 05:30:53 PM by Alex »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »

Ugh, still can't reproduce the initial bug at all. Tried many times with the same SO variant of the mod-ship (that has no PD so it is exactly the same as yesterday) that I first saw the bug with (and saw it several times), but now it won't happen at all against a variety of sim enemies.

What I saw yesterday FTR:
- ship backed off for no apparent reason against inferior solo sim enemy
- ~0 flux (fighter engage was on, ofc)
- no CARRIER or COMBAT hints
- all fighters alive in 1 wing
- 100% replacement rate
- switched from hanging back to advancing the instant a fighter went down/replacement rate fell below 100%

Hopefully someday this bug will pop up again in a way that is consistently reproducible.

Excessive backing off against Salamander-armed enemies is definitely a different bug. Pure vanilla Hyperion demonstrates it.