Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Requesting High-Tech Fleet Advice  (Read 1977 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting High-Tech Fleet Advice
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 07:20:54 PM »

Actually, which carriers would you use? I personally do like the Astral because of the recall system, but I understand why some people don't. Just... No Legions. They're not that good.

I like the Astral myself too. Just that they're a bit hard to justify for 50DP because other capitals that cost the same DP can get a whole lot more done than the Astral. I think a fleet of Astrals is more interesting than just a single one, but then you're basically running into monofleet territory.

I'm surprised that Furies didn't get more love in recommendations; I personally use them as a flexible backbone with supporting frigates (excluding wolf) and an anchor of your choice. I typically field four or five of them and use two or three at a time to strike the edges and ships that are out of formation, although you have to be careful with those orders. I also tend to support these strikes by driving a wedge between the target in question and the enemy fleet with my flagship. This synergy favors mobility over all else I believe, but the shields can absorb quite a bit before backing off.

Fury is good, but when you start encountering stronger fleets and larger capital battles, they can easily get wasted by a poorly timed engage. The Aurora has both forward and backward mobility, especially with SO, and thus has far better survivability for 50% more DP. I also think the Aurora is the only high tech cruiser that can realistically take on a capital 1v1.

Excretusmaximus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2023, 08:16:59 PM »

Any advice on load-outs for the Auroras?

I've got my Paragons nailed down pretty well (one EMP/Shield, one Armor), and when I have my Astral deployed it does well enough, but I don't think I'm fitting the Auroras correctly.

EDIT:
I looked up some old advice and am currently running my Auroras with: Safety Overrides, Hardened Shields (S), Hardened Subsystems (S), 2 IR Pulse Lasers, 2 Ion Cannons, 3 Heavy Blasters, and 5 PD Burst Lasers.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 10:32:07 PM by Excretusmaximus »

Cruacious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2023, 02:10:46 AM »

I've got my Paragons nailed down pretty well (one EMP/Shield, one Armor), and when I have my Astral deployed it does well enough, but I don't think I'm fitting the Auroras correctly.

EDIT:
I looked up some old advice and am currently running my Auroras with: Safety Overrides, Hardened Shields (S), Hardened Subsystems (S), 2 IR Pulse Lasers, 2 Ion Cannons, 3 Heavy Blasters, and 5 PD Burst Lasers.

Try running a Kinetic Blaster in place of one of the Heavy Blasters. It's actually a good swap in. But the general build I use is 1 Kinetic Blaster, 1 Heavy Blaster, 1 (rear) Sabot Launcher, 5 Ion Cannons, and a Proximity Mine Launcher. Hardened Shield (S), Stabilized Shields (S), Extended Missile Magazines. I don't usually run SO unless I have to.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2023, 07:06:04 AM »

EDIT:

This is what I use. It is the loadout I have painstakingly optimized so that my Aurora could handle as many different opponents and fleet compositions as I could encounter until I started needing a Capital fleet.

4 AM Blasters, 3 Ion Pulsers, 3 Burst PD Lasers, 1 Sabot SRM Pod. S-Modded: Expanded Magazines, Shield Conversion - Front, Stabilized Shields. Mods: SO, Hardened Shields

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2023, 07:29:50 AM »

Speaking of Furies...this seems like a good thread to ask my question. I usually reserve a couple of Furies and Medusas for my pursuit fleet. With fleet doctrine set to steady, my Furies will often use their burn drive while already at near point blank range (every weapon is already firing) and ram the target vessel, often sending it spinning safely out of range and requiring it to be chased down again to re-engage. Is this a 'bug' in the AI? I know ramming can do damage, but it doesn't seem to be used to that effect in any of the instances I've seen.

It can cause some amusing results on occasion, but usually it just helps the enemy more than it hurts.

Excretusmaximus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2023, 11:40:01 PM »

I found the [HIGHLY REDACTED] ship and have been using that, two Paragons, an Aurora, and whatever I can shove into any remaining deployment points.

I can literally just walk away now.  Even against Hypershunts and [REDACTED] stations.  I think I may have to mothball that ship...

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 07:35:26 PM »

I found the [HIGHLY REDACTED] ship and have been using that, two Paragons, an Aurora, and whatever I can shove into any remaining deployment points.

I can literally just walk away now.  Even against Hypershunts and [REDACTED] stations.  I think I may have to mothball that ship...

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

How are you liking the Aurora?

Excretusmaximus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 07:55:56 PM »

It's amazing.  I lug around a few of them, and when the enemy fleet isn't full of capitals I skip the Paragons and use five Auroras instead.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 03:51:30 AM »

It's amazing.  I lug around a few of them, and when the enemy fleet isn't full of capitals I skip the Paragons and use five Auroras instead.

Yeah, they really became the workhorse of my fleet after I understood how to unlock their potential!  ;D

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 07:55:59 AM »

EDIT:

This is what I use. It is the loadout I have painstakingly optimized so that my Aurora could handle as many different opponents and fleet compositions as I could encounter until I started needing a Capital fleet.

4 AM Blasters, 3 Ion Pulsers, 3 Burst PD Lasers, 1 Sabot SRM Pod. S-Modded: Expanded Magazines, Shield Conversion - Front, Stabilized Shields. Mods: SO, Hardened Shields

What kind of officer? Field modulation, combat endurance, energy weapons, target analysis, ???

Systems expertise and missile spec seem unnecessary on this build. And it seems that dumping AM blasters burst damage is the core of the build?

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 11:01:54 AM »

What kind of officer? Field modulation, combat endurance, energy weapons, target analysis, ???

Systems expertise and missile spec seem unnecessary on this build. And it seems that dumping AM blasters burst damage is the core of the build?

Actually, when I pilot this ship, I use the triple Ion Pulsers as the main damage in this build. I use the Sabot Pod to bring stronger opponents to a flux level where they cannot meaningfully threaten me with their weapons. And the AM Blasters are there either to pierce heavily armoured targets OR to tactically cause an overload.

Note that the key is to bring down an opponent's shields as quickly as possible, because then the EMP will prevent that opponent from ever being able to return fire.

An advanced technique is to use your Plasma Jets to push and isolate a single ship.

As for officer, you have the main ones, and I like to use either Helmsmanship or Systems Expertise. Both can be situationally very valuable.
Pages: 1 [2]