Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: List of mechanics questions from a new player  (Read 1369 times)

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
List of mechanics questions from a new player
« on: September 25, 2023, 07:39:07 AM »

New player here. First off I want to thank the devs for making an absolutely incredible game. This game was gifted to me and has been non-stop fun. 5/5

My understanding of ship builds is really bad and I want to learn more about the underlying reasons why certain builds are good and bad. I have read the newbie guides, CapnHector's threads and guides, and read and re-read threads like "ballistic balance is the inverse of energy balance" and the recent SO Eradicator thread. It feels like the pieces are slowly coming together for me but I still have more questions.

First off, I have seen many references to SO Aurora. In my first playthrough I found the Aurora to be a very capable ship compared to other cruisers, to the point I was using two of them. What is it exactly that makes the Aurora so good and worth 50% more DP than a normal cruiser? Why is SO really good on an Aurora but not a typical 20 DP cruiser?

Other random questions

---

I see s-modded Expanded Magazines recommended on the Onslaught, but I think it only helps the built-in TPC on that ship. Is it worth spending an S-mod to help only one weapon?

---

I saw in Gryphon discussion that this ship is only good when you link the missiles to a single firing group. Are there other ships where there are unintuitive linking groups that make the ship perform better? There was a post on one of the Executor threads referring to linking a flak cannon to some of the weapons to make them fire better. What is going on mechanically when you do that?

---

Besides LP Brawler, what are other good SO ships?

---

Why is the Hyperion so good? For 15 DP it seems to have really low weapon space.

---

It seems destroyers are pretty bad overall. Are there any destroyers that are standouts in a good way?

---

What weapons are high-value for early game fleets? On my new modded playthrough I find mostly low-tech ships and ballistic weapons. Are there generally useful combos of weapons I should be looking to use in the early game for low-tech fleets?

---

I usually go for the yellow tree in the early game. I know missile and fighter ships do well with Derelict Operations. Are there any good ballistic ships that work well with DO? My fleet is all junkers and clunkers right now. I like the yellow tree early on because it helps with money, so if there is some way to optimize it for combat early on I would like to know.

---

Is there a good discussion of XP mechanics anywhere?

---

Can someone explain to me the use cases for the various large energy weapons? I know they are supposed to be the center piece of builds. I tried the dual HIL on Executor (I half figured out a useful Executor build on my own--this ship doesn't work without Ordnance Expertise) and I basically got that ship to perform OK. I understand that the HIL is an armor cutting weapon and needs to be supported with kinetic hard flux damage from other mounts. That's why the Executor uses it so well, because it is one of the few ships that has a balance of energy and ballistic mounts.

I don't understand the use cases for the remaining energy weapons:

Tachyon Lance - when and why to use this? on what ships?
Autopulse Laser - this looks like a close-range, expanded mags weapon?
Plasma Cannon - when to use this?

I gather that the Paladin and Gigacannon are bad weapons and should be avoided in most cases.

If there are any detailed discussions on the pros and cons of other weapon categories (e.g. large ballistics, small energy, whatever), use cases, good synergies with other weapons and s-mods, good ships to use them on, can you point me to them? Most of the discussion is from older versions and I assume the stats on a lot of these weapons have changed.

---

Are there other s-mods like Expanded Mags or SO that drastically change how a ship plays?

---

Overall what are the strongest cruisers and destroyers I should be keeping an eye out for in .96?

I have seen Jang have a lot of luck with Moras, but I find this ship to be trash and has never performed well. I like the Aurora and the Champion, although I never see any discussion of the Champion so maybe it's overcosted for what it does--only upside being that it will perform halfway decently for a new player. Falcon P gets a lot of love but I think that's for people who are good pilots. I still don't know the hotkeys. What about things like Fury and Eagle? These ships are all kind of a blur to me--20 DP for a bunch of medium weapons.

I want to like Venture and its variants but mine don't perform anywhere close to CapnHector's.

---

I think I am not using the aggression mechanics properly. I feel like some of my ships are built like berserkers and the other half are built for standoffs and pot shots. Without a cohesive fleet doctrine, my ships probably perform worse?

---

Which missile types are good in this update? What missiles should I be putting in which size of mounts, from all the choices? I gather the DEMs are pretty bad. I see Draba and Jang dominating with Reapers but mine always seem to miss. I see people talking about Squall, Locust, Pilum, in what situations are these missiles good? What weapons do they need to be paired with to be effective?

What missiles are worth putting in small mounts? Small mounts basically only carry 1 shot, right?

---

Thank you for reading my questions. As a new but not brand-new player, what would be really helpful is not generic advice like "make sure your weapon ranges match up", but rather any detailed discussion of builds, like "I built this Eagle and I used 1 Mauler and 1 HVD, here's why instead of 2 HVDs". Is there anything like that out there?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: List of mechanics questions from a new player
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 07:51:45 AM »

s-mod Exp.Mags can be worth it.  NPC Onslaught likes to over-rely on TPCs.

Hyperion was good.  Now, Delicate Machinery guts it.  Too little PPT even without SO, but it needs SO because 1) flux dissipation to support three good weapons and 2) AI not wasting too much time backpedaling when it does not teleport.  In older releases, it could get slow CR decay and stay on the field for several minutes.  Now, with Delicate Machinery, Hyperion (and phase ships) can have all the CR decay reduction it (or they) can get, yet CR still ticks down faster than ordinary ships without any CR decay reduction.

Besides, Afflictor flagship piloted by a skilled enough player can outperform Hyperion for less cost.

Tachyon Lance (and Omega's Rift Cascade Emitter) are hitscan burst weapons and are semi-unblockable under certain conditions.  It is a punisher weapon to hurt things with brief vulnerability windows (like picking off Radiant while it jumps away from your fleet).  Great on Ziggurat with Phase Anchor (because Phase Anchor speeds up reload times, giving lance faster kill times than plasma cannon if fired as fast as possible).

Autopulse has huge alpha-strike (well, huge when two or more are stacked), and it is flux-efficient.  Combos well with IR Autolance.  Someone posted a Paragon build with autopulse and IR autolance, and it seemed very effective when I tried it.

Plasma Cannon has high sustained damage and is good against everything if the ship can support it.  It has respectable armor penetration, unlike pulse lasers.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:05:54 AM by Megas »

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 08:26:47 AM »

First off, I have seen many references to SO Aurora. In my first playthrough I found the Aurora to be a very capable ship compared to other cruisers, to the point I was using two of them. What is it exactly that makes the Aurora so good and worth 50% more DP than a normal cruiser? Why is SO really good on an Aurora but not a typical 20 DP cruiser?

Lasher, Vanguard, Monitor, Hammerhead, Medusa, Falcon, Fury, Eagle, Champion, Eradicator are worth considering for player/AI SO builds at various points in game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 08:52:06 AM »

Are there other s-mods like Expanded Mags or SO that drastically change how a ship plays?
s-mod IPDAI turns most small weapons into PD.  That means +200 range when combined elite Point Defense skill.  (Does not apply to Antimatter Blaster, despite no apparent disqualifications that would deny AMB the +200 range.)  Also, IR Pulse Lasers and Railguns (and Omega's Rift Lance) are decent PD weapons when enabled.

One downside is when ballistic become PD weapons through sIPDAI, they no longer qualify for the benefits from Ballistic Rangefinder.

Should add that the s-mod effect (of enabling PD on small weapons) used to be default part of IPDAI in previous releases, but now it requires s-modding to get that effect, so for this release, IPDAI was nerfed, and now it needs an s-mod to get that effect.  OP cost for IPDAI may been reduced, but overall, the s-mod requirement to enable PD on small weapons (and the removal of +200 range from IPDAI+ePD AMB) is a net nerf.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:56:56 AM by Megas »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 11:06:16 AM »

I see s-modded Expanded Magazines recommended on the Onslaught, but I think it only helps the built-in TPC on that ship. Is it worth spending an S-mod to help only one weapon?
Yeah, TPCs are pretty good.

I saw in Gryphon discussion that this ship is only good when you link the missiles to a single firing group. Are there other ships where there are unintuitive linking groups that make the ship perform better? There was a post on one of the Executor threads referring to linking a flak cannon to some of the weapons to make them fire better. What is going on mechanically when you do that?
The mechanic is that the AI can only fire/turn the autofire for the entire weapon group on or off. I don't know the tricks myself, besides that linking missile and non-missile weapons is often done to force the ship to use missiles more often.

Why is the Hyperion so good? For 15 DP it seems to have really low weapon space.
Its flux stats are incredible for a frigate, closer to a cruiser. You get only 3 weapons, but you can keep firing them for a long time. And teleporting is pretty good, you can instantly get in or out of danger. That said, teleport cooldown is fairly long, so it's not as convenient as when it was reworked initially. You can always fly it for fun.

It seems destroyers are pretty bad overall. Are there any destroyers that are standouts in a good way?
I think Sunder and Manticore is pretty okay.

What weapons are high-value for early game fleets? On my new modded playthrough I find mostly low-tech ships and ballistic weapons. Are there generally useful combos of weapons I should be looking to use in the early game for low-tech fleets?
I hold on to rarer weapons less so because they are better (which may or may not be the case), but in case I want to make a loadout work and it requires that rare weapon.

I usually go for the yellow tree in the early game. I know missile and fighter ships do well with Derelict Operations. Are there any good ballistic ships that work well with DO? My fleet is all junkers and clunkers right now. I like the yellow tree early on because it helps with money, so if there is some way to optimize it for combat early on I would like to know.
Any ship can work well enough with DO, but the more missile focused it is, the less offensive power it loses due to various d-mods.

What do you wish to discuss?

Can someone explain to me the use cases for the various large energy weapons? I know they are supposed to be the center piece of builds. I tried the dual HIL on Executor (I half figured out a useful Executor build on my own--this ship doesn't work without Ordnance Expertise) and I basically got that ship to perform OK. I understand that the HIL is an armor cutting weapon and needs to be supported with kinetic hard flux damage from other mounts. That's why the Executor uses it so well, because it is one of the few ships that has a balance of energy and ballistic mounts.
HIL is good when you have other sources of hard flux damage (non-beams). Tachyon Lance is better as a general purpose weapon, as its bursty and deals energy damage (overcomes shields easier) and its EMP provides it some good value, even if it doesn't kill a given ship. Both of these beams are to be used if you want 1000 range for a fire support ship or because you can combo it with ballistics.
Autopulse Laser and Plasma Cannon are similar weapons, in that you get them if you want to deal damage without special use cases. APL is cheaper, burstier and better against shields, but PC has more sustained damage and deals with armour better.
I haven't used Gigacannon to good effect myself. Its DPS is too low, even though the weapon has pretty decent stats otherwise.
Paladin PD is an excellent PD weapon, which can be pretty bad for it. Since it requires you to have spare large energy turrets (a rare find), it can be hard to find a place for it.

I have seen Jang have a lot of luck with Moras, but I find this ship to be trash and has never performed well. I like the Aurora and the Champion, although I never see any discussion of the Champion so maybe it's overcosted for what it does--only upside being that it will perform halfway decently for a new player. Falcon P gets a lot of love but I think that's for people who are good pilots. I still don't know the hotkeys. What about things like Fury and Eagle? These ships are all kind of a blur to me--20 DP for a bunch of medium weapons.

I want to like Venture and its variants but mine don't perform anywhere close to CapnHector's.
Champion is actually a solid ship, it's just that it isn't busted and it isn't new or changed recently. Aurora, on the other hand, is fairly costly and can be difficult to get its worth out of. Fury is in a similar spot, I would say. They are individually good ships, but using many of them eats into your DP budget. A bunch of medium weapons that are fast and can keep firing even if you really wouldn't like them to is a pretty good deal overall.

I think I am not using the aggression mechanics properly. I feel like some of my ships are built like berserkers and the other half are built for standoffs and pot shots. Without a cohesive fleet doctrine, my ships probably perform worse?
Probably. The issue with a lack of cohesion is that your ships are likely to separate naturally, as aggressive ships close in and slower ships stay in the back.

Thank you for reading my questions. As a new but not brand-new player, what would be really helpful is not generic advice like "make sure your weapon ranges match up", but rather any detailed discussion of builds, like "I built this Eagle and I used 1 Mauler and 1 HVD, here's why instead of 2 HVDs". Is there anything like that out there?
Ideally you would post your loadouts and ask if someone can improve them. Or ask about a ship for a role, or how to make an X ship fit Y role.

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »

Thank you, these replies are very helpful.

@Megas - what does hitscan burst weapon mean? Does the AI know how to use the Tachyon Lance when the target is most vulnerable?

What's an example of a ship where the IPDAI+Elite PD build is good? Probably a cruiser or destroyer with many small mounts? Point noted that antimatter blasters don't benefit from this combo. In general, what's worth putting in to a small energy mount? For small ballistics I know people like the LDAC and the railgun, but most of the guns here are good (?).

@Nettle/SCC - Thank you--I want to ask more about ships I find a lot in the early game, with or without SO.

I find a ton of junk frigates fighting pirates. Are there any good builds for these? Cerberus/Hounds etc? Should I put a point in Wolfpack Tactics, put SO and reinforced bulkheads (for recovery), whatever small ballistics I find, and treat them like zerglings?

I find a lot of Eradicator Ps available for sale in black markets for about 97k. I have been leaning on it when I can afford it, even though it looks like it was nerfed recently and perhaps not necessary (https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=25774.0). This ship has 15 weapon mounts, 7 small ballistics and 3 medium and 5 missiles. What are some good missile/gun combos to use on this ship? Early game I could slap SO on it, and small ballistics drop in large numbers. Medium ballistics are harder to find, but would SO+Reinforced Bulkheads+7x kinetics+3 Assault Chainguns be a good build? What small missiles are worth using here?

Vanshilar has a video on building Brawler LPs, which I'll look up. I haven't found a lot of these for sale--do I need to be fighting LP fleets to get them?

---

I found a good post on SO Aurora:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/16icz2t/help_me_build_an_aurora_in_096/

I need to try out using heavy blasters and antimatter blasters more. It sounds like these weapons are very good against armor.

---

I think I'll start a new playthrough and start posting about ships as I find them. Is it OK to discuss modded ships on the main forum?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 01:18:42 PM »

what does hitscan burst weapon mean? Does the AI know how to use the Tachyon Lance when the target is most vulnerable?
Hitscan has zero time-to-target - an instant-hit weapon.  If you point the gun at the enemy and the enemy is hit the moment you press the fire button.  Tachyon Lance might take a frame or two before it hits, so it is not quite hitscan like pistols and shotguns in early FPS games like Doom, but it is the closest Starsector has to instant-hit weapons.

You may notice that it takes a few moments for Tactical Laser or High Intensity Laser to extend fully.  Tachyon Lance extends fully instantly, or nearly so.

A burst weapon does much of its damage in a few frames immediately after it is fired, followed by a long reload.  Lance as a hitscan burst weapon means the moment the player pushes the fire button, it does a bunch of damage immediately the moment the fire button is pressed.

I do not think AI does any special tricks to maximize effectiveness of lances, but it does not really need to.  If your shields are down and the AI decides to fire a lance or (burst PD or Paladin PD) at that given moment, you will get hit.

What's an example of a ship where the IPDAI+Elite PD build is good?
Such loadouts are not so great as to be no-brainers because of s-mod and skill requirements, but I have used sIPDAI+ePD on various ships.

On high-tech ships up to cruiser-size with no large weapons, I have used IR PLs (and maybe an Ion Cannon) as primary assault weapons and boosted their range with sIPDAI+ePD to give them more range than 600 range medium Pulse Lasers.

For ships with small hybrid or universal mounts (like Centurion and Medusa), that do not benefit from Ballistic Rangefinder, I use sIPDAI+ePD as a Ballistic Rangefinder substitute to give small weapons more range.

The biggest barrier to this is requiring elite Point Defense, although IPDAI requiring s-mod can be a problem at times (because of s-mod limits).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 01:21:37 PM by Megas »

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 01:19:13 PM »

I think I'll start a new playthrough and start posting about ships as I find them. Is it OK to discuss modded ships on the main forum?

It's not strictly forbidden, I don't think.  If it's a crime I'm guilty of it myself dozens of times over.  I'm a major league Safety Overrides Enjoyer, especially on the Aurora.  Right now I'm playing with the Alfonzo Mod suite and a few others, but I'm going to boot up StarSector and modify my current "Smash Twenty Times Its Mass In Pirates And Solo 200000 Cred Bounties" SO Aurora build into something vanilla-friendly and post it here in a little bit.

I also have a Eagle build that is the backbone of my fleets.
Spoiler
[close]
You can build the regular Eagle this way and just leave off the missiles if you don't have the XIV version.  Either way, this is my ideal fleet filler for midgame before I have my own faction and expenses are a concern.  I deploy my flagship first, then a line of these, then a second line of whichever carriers are necessary for the fight I'm facing.  They don't do tremendous damage to anything on their own (that's what my flagship is for) but they consistently stay alive and drive up the enemies' shields and can easily swat flanking frigates.

(edit)  Okay, here's a picture of my current SO Aurora and the character build to make it work.  The Chimobuko Mining Lasers aren't relevant to the build, you can replace them with regular lasers or ignore PD entirely, this build is about smashing into things at close range and firing at them until they're vapor while grinding your shields into their face like a grappling character in a fighting game.  Call this Perfect King or Demon Form Zangief, same general idea.  The Cryoblaster is a lucky find from the Highly Shielded Cache after I complete the tutorial, if I got a Disintegrator instead I would have used that.  Likewise with the rear Shock Repeater.  My point is you don't NEED Remnant tech, the truly important bits of this are the Safety Overrides, Hardened 360-Degree Shields (with an amazing flux to damage ratio), and the triple Blasters.

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 01:41:37 PM by Network Pesci »

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 01:23:02 PM »

In general, what's worth putting in to a small energy mount? For small ballistics I know people like the LDAC and the railgun, but most of the guns here are good (?).

There is no single right answer, what you are going to put into X slot depends both on the ship itself and the build you have in mind, there is far more than one possible way to build any given ship.

@Nettle/SCC - Thank you--I want to ask more about ships I find a lot in the early game, with or without SO.

I find a ton of junk frigates fighting pirates. Are there any good builds for these? Cerberus/Hounds etc? Should I put a point in Wolfpack Tactics, put SO and reinforced bulkheads (for recovery), whatever small ballistics I find, and treat them like zerglings?

Specifically pirate ships? Personally I would only consider recovering pirate repaints of base ships that are otherwise functionally identical (like Vanguard, Manticore, Enforcer) or some atypically effective models like pirate Falcon, that can serve as missile boat flagship.

I find a lot of Eradicator Ps available for sale in black markets for about 97k.

Pirate Eradicator has Burn Drive instead of Accelerated Ammo Feeder, which is the main appeal of base Eradicator, so its not nearly as desirable. Base Eradicator are frequently found in Luddic Church markets, all low-tech ships in general for that matter.

Vanshilar has a video on building Brawler LPs, which I'll look up. I haven't found a lot of these for sale--do I need to be fighting LP fleets to get them?

Yes, either fighting LP fleets or visiting the two markets they have in core worlds/randomly spawned stations around the map. Don't expect pristine condition, you will have to settle for what you get then restore.

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 03:26:52 PM »

On the small ballistic weapons, am I correct in the following:

There are 9 light ballistic weapons in vanilla. 6 do kinetic damage, 2 HE, 1 fragmentation.

HE weapons - Light Mortar and Light Autocannon - in most cases these are useless because of low hit strength against large ships' armor. Their only use is the early game for small ships to fight other small ships. I can safely sell them if I find enough good kinetic guns.

Frag weapon - Vulcan - this is a dedicated PD weapon. Frag is good against missiles and fighters. Maybe good for the back slots on ships.

Kinetic PD - Light Machine Gun and LD Machine Gun - basically the same weapon, LMG is more OP efficient and LDMG is more slot efficient. Is there ever a reason to use these over a Vulcan? With elite PD they would be 500 range and extremely flux efficient. But I guess no ship has enough slots to put 30 of these forward-facing.

Regular Kinetics - LAC, LDAC, Railgun, Light Needler - All of them look decent. Lots of discussion of how good LDAC is in this patch but even then I see lots of builds preferring railguns for range and accuracy. The Light Needler looks like a decent substitute for a Railgun, with more efficiency at the cost of accuracy. Light autocannon is the 700 range budget choice in terms of OP spent.

Overall all of these guns look reasonably similar. 700 range, flux efficient shield DPS. I can probably use any of them in the early game, and switch over to railguns and LDAC depending on the ship's job as I loot more of them.

---

Is this the right way to think about these weapons? I find the medium ballistics even more confusing as there are 11 choices.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 08:48:53 PM »

The Aurora combines good offensive power (high flux dissipation), good defensive power (good flux capacity and very good shield efficiency -- at 0.6, the best in the game (the lower the better)), and good maneuverability (high top speed and maneuverability, including from its shipsystem), all in one package. Safety Overrides helps it lean into its advantages more; energy weapons tend to have shorter ranges anyway so it's not as hampered by the range decrease, and SO doubling the flux dissipation and greatly increasing its speed means it can get in to do a lot of burst damage where it counts and get out more quickly.

It can, it depends. TPC has good range and is very flux-efficient, and s-modded Expanded Magazines means it'll end up doing 50% more damage (the limiting factor is usually ammo recharge, not rate of fire). Depends on how you run your Onslaught but for me, using it as flagship, with s-mod Expanded Magazines TPC usually does around 20% of the total damage, meaning that s-mod Expanded Magazines adds about 7% to my overall damage output.

There are actually two different mechanisms going on here, although they're for the same purpose -- making the AI fire the weapons more. The AI controls each ship similar to the player, i.e. one weapon group is manually controlled (presumably with an imaginary cursor to aim it), while all other weapon groups are on autofire on (each fires if a target gets in range) or autofire off (none of them will fire).

For a typical Squall/Harpoon Gryphon, both of those missiles have 2500 range, but the Harpoons, being High Explosive, will usually not fire unless the target is at high flux. Ships at high flux tend to back off though, and since the Harpoons aren't that fast, it means the target may get away by the time the Harpoons arrive. By putting them in the same weapon group, the Harpoons start heading to the target as it comes under fire from the Squalls, increasing the chance that the target dies before it gets away.

The AI is generally overly conservative about running up its own flux levels; it'll start turning off autofire on weapon groups pretty quickly, i.e. when its current flux gets to say 30-50% of its total flux. (You can think of flux as "waste heat" in some sense.) But once its turns off its weapons, if the enemy ships keep firing, they'll continue driving up its flux, meaning it'll keep turning off more weapons instead of pressing the attack and driving up the flux on the enemy's ships to get them to stop attacking. This leads to a bad feedback loop where the AI will just sit there, take damage, and then die.

To prevent this, you can mix some PD weapons in with your weapon group(s). The AI is very loathe to turn off weapon groups that have PD on them, letting them stay on even up to 90% flux or higher, so this ensures that those weapons are always on and firing. A Flak Cannon is a PD weapon so it ensures that weapon groups with it will stay on even when the AI would have normally turned them off.

However, you need to use this with care, since the AI really will keep those weapons on (almost) all the time, which means the AI will overload more easily. I usually recommend grouping kinetic weapons which have good flux efficiency together with PD weapons, but not weapons in general -- only the ones that should absolutely always stay on to keep flux pressure on the enemy and help win the "flux war".

I like the LP Manticore, and for player piloting, the Medusa. Once you reach the late game though SO tends to fall off in effectiveness so you'll want to explore other options, but for the early- and mid-game, it's great.

It's basically a light cruiser masquerading as a frigate. You want to look at flux stats more than number of weapon slots. It's also very small and maneuverable (and thus hard to hit), and its shipsystem is to teleport around meaning it can easily get away, making it very hard to kill. As a frigate, it also benefits from frigate skills (most notably, Wolfpack Tactics), and frigate OP costs. Putting SO on it only costs 15 OP but you get 500 (or more) flux dissipation out of it, which is a very good deal.

The base XP that you get is based on the sum of the FP (not DP) of each enemy ship multiplied by (5 + level of officer on that ship) * 100. If a ship has no officer then its FP is multiplied by 600 (i.e. as if it had a level 1 officer). This product is then rounded down to the nearest 500, and then all of these products are added together. So it's basically static per enemy fleet -- not particularly interesting.

What's more interesting is that you can get a % bonus to that XP if your fleet is relatively "small" compared with the sum of the fleet(s) that you're facing. You can get up to a +500% XP bonus, meaning you can get up to 6x more XP by having a fleet that is good at killing lots of enemies quickly. I've written about the XP bonus formula, for example here. The basic gist is that it compares your fleet's total DP with the enemy fleet's total DP, noting that officers also add to each side. Enemy officers count double in terms of the XP bonus you get, but the overall enemy fleet score is multiplied by 0.67, so it kind of evens out. So if the enemy's DP for XP bonus purposes is double yours, then you get a +100% XP bonus, if it's triple then you get a +200% XP bonus, etc.

So having unused ships in your fleet can hurt your XP (but you should be throwing them in storage anyway -- there are some free storage locations in abandoned spacedocks such as in Corvus near Asharu), thus in general you want a relatively "lean" fleet where each ship contributes a lot to each battle, and have a fleet that can take on numbers if you're going for maximizing your XP bonus.

For your fleet, you can roughly estimate your fleet's DP score for XP bonus purposes by adding up each ship's DP, then adding each officer as 7.5 + 3.75 * level to that, noting that you the character at level 15 counts as 7.5 + 3.75 * 15 = 63.75 DP. Civilian ships only count as 1/4 of their DP. At the higher end of faction fleets, level 10 and above bounties are usually around 650-700 DP for XP bonus purposes (not the DP of the fleet), so that amount divided by your fleet's DP for XP bonus purposes will tell you how much bonus you get. Then once you hit [REDACTED] fleets, they average around 1100 DP for XP bonus purposes (and close to 700k base XP) so you can easily get millions of XP per fight from them. My endgame fleet hits the +500% XP cap at double [REDACTED], netting about 4 million base XP per fight, meaning up to 16 million XP depending on how much SP XP I've saved up -- all for a fight that lasts around 4 minutes (according to the Detailed Combat Results mod). So there are certainly ways to increase your XP gain once you hit the endgame.

If there are any detailed discussions on the pros and cons of other weapon categories (e.g. large ballistics, small energy, whatever), use cases, good synergies with other weapons and s-mods, good ships to use them on, can you point me to them? Most of the discussion is from older versions and I assume the stats on a lot of these weapons have changed.

You basically have 3 types of defenses for the weapons to go through: shields, then armor, then hull, generally in that order. So it's not about which one is better but having a mix of weapons which together can deal with all 3 defenses. Kinetic weapons are anti-shield, High Explosive (HE) weapons are anti-armor, and fragmentation weapons are good against hull but tend to be bad against shields and armor. Energy has no particular damage bonuses. Shields and hull are relatively straightforward (it's basically just the sum of the individual weapons), but armor depends highly on the weapon with the highest hit strength. Hit strength for projectile weapons is the per-shot damage, and is modified by weapon damage type (kinetic = /2, HE = *2, frag = /4). So generally speaking, you'll want to have one or maybe two good HE weapons, and the rest would be kinetic/energy/frag weapons.

Small ballistics are usually kinetic, because the hit strength is so low that they can't really function as anti-armor weapons. For medium ballistics, I tend to favor the Hypervelocity Driver (HVD) since it has good range, good hit strength (despite being kinetic), and decent damage. The good hit strength means that it also doubles as good anti-hull, not just good anti-shield, compared with most other kinetic weapons. But if the ship has no other source of HE damage, one of the medium ballistics would be a Heavy Mauler. I tend to use HE on large ballistics, because chances are the ship also has plenty of medium and small ballistics to put kinetic weapons on those. So I generally use Hephaestus on large ballistics, although sometimes I'll use Mjolnir if the ship has enough flux to support it (i.e. Conquest).

For missile, if the ship has one large missile slot I almost always use Squall, which deal kinetic damage at very long range and disrupts enemy formations, putting them on the defensive before the ships get in range. But if there are two large missile slots then I usually put Locust on the second one, to help clean up trash around the ship. The Locust would be linked in the same weapon group as the Squall to ensure that it's always firing.

For medium missile it really depends on the situation, though I've typically used Harpoon Pods, Annihilator Pods, or Proximity Charge Launchers. PCL's are great on the player flagship, the AI doesn't spam them enough.

For small missile, it's generally not going to be the star but it helps fill out the weapon complement. Note that there is also now the Missile Autoloader hullmod which helps boost small missile ammo. I've generally used Harpoons, Annihilators, or Swarmers. The Annihilators really help to throw a bunch of "stuff" at the enemy to fill up the space between ships with your stuff that can help take down enemy missiles, make enemies scared, etc.

For energies, small energy is generally going to be IR Pulse Laser for its decent anti-shield capability, for energy weapons, anyway, since high-tech ships tend to be weaker at that. Some people will prefer Antimatter Blaster for its strike capability, which works too. This is also where I might stick some PD for midline ships, to have PD and also to force autofire on. Generally that ends up being LR PD laser.

For medium energy, if you're going SO or mid-range then you can choose between Heavy Blaster (good damage but very flux-inefficient), Pulse Laser (good for anti-shield), or Ion Pulser (good for initial burst damage and disabling weapons). Kinetic Blaster is good anti-shield damage but tends to be too inefficient at anything else compared with Pulse Laser. If you're going long range, then right now it's a tossup between Graviton Beam and IR Autolance. Graviton increases anti-shield damage of all other weapons on the target as well, but IR Autolance is killer against stripped hull. It's hard to tell which is better.

For large energy, I've generally used HIL, but will sometimes use Autopulse or Plasma if I want to close in. But if there are other sources of anti-shield hard flux weapons to make them drop their shields, HIL is a good choice.

So for example, for Conquest, the weapons I use are Squall, Locust, 2 Harpoon Pods (all linked together so the others will fire whenever the Squall fires), then 2 Mjolnirs, 2 HVD, Graviton Beam, and 4 LR PD Lasers all on one side, all linked together. The Conquest has plenty of flux so I'm not concerned about overfluxing it from linking weapons to PD, and I want them firing at all times. It's a long-range ship and shouldn't take much damage anyway. Yes the Harpoon Pods will run out, but I want it to be firing a lot at the beginning, which is the most critical phase of battle, and don't mind that it runs out later on when the enemy fleet is streaming in rather than arriving as one big mass.

For Eradicator, I use 2 HVD, 1 Heavy Mauler, 4 Railguns, 4 Annihilators, and 1 Breach. The Heavy Mauler provides that one main anti-armor, with Breach as backup in between (since the fire rate of the Heavy Mauler is low), the Annihilators provide a lot of distraction, and the rest are general anti-shield. The HVDs also contribute a lot to anti-hull. In this case, I use Ballistic Rangefinder, despite it just giving the base +100 base range bonus, because it helps the Eradicator stay a bit farther away and take less damage. The less damage you take, the more flux you can spend on damaging the enemy fleet.

For Champion, the large missile is Squall, the large energy is HIL, the mediums are HVDs, and the smalls are LR PD Lasers or Tactical Lasers. The Squalls and HVDs provide enough anti-shield damage for the HIL to be very effective here.

For my flagship Onslaught, the 3 large ballistics are all Hephaestus, the 3 front medium ballistics are Heavy Autocannons while the inner 2 medium ballistics are HVDs to match range, while the small ballistics are Light Needlers and Light Autocannons on the side, with Ballistic Rangefinder. Some people prefer LDAC but I prefer Light Needlers and LACs for the greater range. The medium missiles are Proximity Charge Launchers.

The ship has a lot of frontal firepower, but its highest anti-armor/hull damage is actually when it's facing to the side of the target, so that the side Hephaestus can also fire at the target. It turns out that the Onslaught can have so much firepower that one Hephaestus is simply not enough damage, so the second one is also used. So the way I use it is that it faces its current target with its kinetics (Hephaestus weapon group turned off), then once the target's shields go down, I turn on the Hephaestus weapon group and then start pointing the nose at the next target, so that its TPCs and kinetics start firing at the next target while the HE weapon group finishes off the current one. In this way I can keep killing targets without stopping, except to vent because the flux rise is pretty extreme.

The Hephaestus is so-so at anti-armor, which is good enough up to cruisers (and its high DPS is good against hull). For cruisers and capital ships, I burn drive into them with the Proximity Charge Launchers, which makes pretty short work of capital ships. Me running in also ensures that I'm the one tanking the capital ships, so that the rest of my fleet can continue doing damage instead of being under attack, since the Onslaught is one of the best ships at soaking up damage.

It's pretty advanced, and definitely player-only, but I've found that it makes the best use of all the Onslaught's advantages, as a big wrecking ball diving into the heart of the enemy fleet.

I don't know if it's "drastic" but ITU is definitely needed for cruisers and capital ships, s-mod Advanced Turret Gyros is good for capital ships, and s-mod Armored Weapon Mounts is good for many ships since it increases their weapon rate of fire by 10% (increasing their damage output by 10%...and also their flux usage). Front shield conversion is awesome for some ships like the Aurora, and s-mod Extended Shields is also good for ships like the Medusa, etc., in closing off the engine gap.

Overall what are the strongest cruisers and destroyers I should be keeping an eye out for in .96?

I think hands down the strongest cruiser is the Gryphon, because of its sheer damage output. The build that I would recommend for it is Squall/Harpoon Pod/Harpoons, all linked, plus an HVD. Get Missile Autoloader (s-mod is fine), ITU for the HVD to help the Gryphon stay at the correct range, then load it up with defenses like Hardened Shields, lots of flux capacity, etc. Officer skills would be CE, TA, MS (elite), then I usually take Helms (elite) and FM. I don't bother with Systems Expertise because usually it's simply not needed, most battles are over before it gets used anyway, at least up to double [REDACTED].

The Gryphon is very much a glass cannon though so it can get overwhelmed easily, but if you have a pack of them they can clear out almost anything in the game. The fastest fleet I've found for killing enemy fleets is the aforementioned player Onslaught along with 8 Gryphons.

Other than that, there are plenty of decent cruisers, such as Eradicators, Champions, and Apogees. I haven't played much with the Mora but apparently carriers work really well with Derelict Operations, since for fighters, having a lot of them is more important than how strong each individual fighter is.

I think an SO fleet is a good way to start out, and a fleet of LP Brawlers is very easy to make. The LP markets reset their wares every 30 days or so, so I'll go to the LP markets (transponder off) once a month, buy any LP Brawlers I find, then go out looking for any LP fleets around it to kill to get more LP Brawlers. (Once you kill their fleets in the vicinity of their market, you'll need to wait awhile before using the market again, and hence you go to the market first.) You'll need to restore each LP Brawler after you get it to get rid of Ill-Advised Modifications, but it's only ~36k credits which is really cheap. So it's easy to gradually build up a fleet.

If you're adventurous, you can also go to the LP bases scattered throughout the sector, and again go to the base first to look for ships to buy before killing any fleets nearby.

HE weapons - Light Mortar and Light Autocannon - in most cases these are useless because of low hit strength against large ships' armor. Their only use is the early game for small ships to fight other small ships. I can safely sell them if I find enough good kinetic guns.

Think you mean Light Assault Gun but yeah, you'll probably be using something else. Keep 1 or 2 of them on hand in case you have no HE weapons whatsoever but I've never really found a use for them.

Kinetic PD - Light Machine Gun and LD Machine Gun - basically the same weapon, LMG is more OP efficient and LDMG is more slot efficient. Is there ever a reason to use these over a Vulcan? With elite PD they would be 500 range and extremely flux efficient. But I guess no ship has enough slots to put 30 of these forward-facing.

They're good for SO ships, in which case they're actually serving as anti-shield rather than PD. For example, they're useful on the LP Brawler.

Regular Kinetics - LAC, LDAC, Railgun, Light Needler - All of them look decent. Lots of discussion of how good LDAC is in this patch but even then I see lots of builds preferring railguns for range and accuracy. The Light Needler looks like a decent substitute for a Railgun, with more efficiency at the cost of accuracy. Light autocannon is the 700 range budget choice in terms of OP spent.

Yup. LDAC is more flux-efficient but has less range, so it depends on if you need more flux or range. LAC is less damage but better damage/OP so it's useful if you have lots of mounts but are tight on OP. Railgun has higher hit strength so it does more damage to hull, but it also is less flux-efficient, so it depends on if you want that extra hull damage. So each has their uses.

Generally speaking, though, if you're still collecting weapons, they're generally interchangeable, it won't matter that much.

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 08:51:08 AM »

@Vanshilar - thanks for all this, extremely helpful. Couple quick questions

1) Can you link your LP Brawler video? I can't find it.

2) The XP post is very helpful. Do you know how bonus XP for getting killed works? CapnHector had a post about a Colossus fleet he lost against Ordos and he gained 307 million bonus XP from that. How does that work?

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 02:54:07 PM »

For Champion, the large missile is Squall, the large energy is HIL, the mediums are HVDs, and the smalls are LR PD Lasers or Tactical Lasers. The Squalls and HVDs provide enough anti-shield damage for the HIL to be very effective here.

I've also used HIL/TL-HVD-Squall Champion a lot, but it always felt a bit too slow, lacking punch and rather passive in AI hands, even though Champion is not exactly a glass cannon and can afford to brawl in mid-range. Nowadays I prefer Plasma Cannon Champion with Squall and Arbalests for kinetics. I've used HAC for a while, but its just a bit too flux hungry to leave on auto, and Champion already struggles to go flux-neutral with Plasma. I wanted to try out Hurricane-centered build, but since recently AI seems to treat it more like a strike missile and generously overuses it.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 05:49:10 PM »

Aurora is worth 50% more DP than a normal cruiser because if it were worth any less, SO Aurora would be completely gamebreaking, to the point that the optimal strategy might be to run a monofleet of them. SO is extremely good on Aurora for the simple reason that the weapon configurations that make the Aurora shine are short range and bursty. Without SO, the Aurora can't maximize its potential as a hit and run cruiser (yes, you read that right ;D ).

If you want to experiment with a very strong SO Aurora build, try this one: 4 AM Blasters, 3 Ion Pulsers, 3 Burst PD Lasers, 1 Sabot SRM Pod. S-Modded: Expanded Magazines, Shield Conversion - Front, Stabilized Shields. Mods: SO, Hardened Shields. If you pilot this with your main character, you can get a Shield Efficiency rating of 0.35! Which is more than enough to solo most capitals.

I recently discovered that adding even 1 Thumper to an Onslaught to take advantage of S-EM is quite lethal!

What Vanshilar said.  ;D

SO TT Brawler and SO Scarab are AMAZING.

I no longer find the Hyperion to be good. There are simply too many disadvantages now, for the gimmick that it offers.

Harbinger. Its system allows you to deliver burst damage even when a Paragon has its shields fully raised and is in no danger of needing to vent. In my experience, there are no other destroyers in the game that a frigate or a cruiser cannot do their job better.

As I mentioned above, SO TT Brawler and SO Scarab are extremely strong. You only need 2 Ion Pulsers to make that TT Brawler be able to punch above its weight class, while the SO Scarab requires even less: 4 IR Pulse Lasers and an Ion Cannon.

It's funny that you ask specifically about ballistic ship synergy with DO, because in my mind, possibly the most interesting use of DO is to lower the deployment cost of really expensive High Tech ships, like the Paragon. See CapnHector's Paragon video.

Not sure what kind of mechanics you're talking about here, but if you have specific questions about XP calculations, Alex is very transparent about answering these.

I don't understand the use cases for the remaining energy weapons:

I gather that the Paladin and Gigacannon are bad weapons and should be avoided in most cases.

Tachyon Lance - Best in Slot on Ziggurat, great on Paragon. Think of this as a flux sniper. If you slap 4 of them on a Paragon, you can nuke most smaller vessels in 1 shot before they can even make it in range to shoot you. This is a huge advantage because you don't need to spend flux keeping your shields raised in that case.
Autopulse Laser - Think of this as the natural upgrade to Ion Pulsers, great on things like Odyssey and Paragon, or even a Champion
Plasma Cannon - You can have a lot of fun with this on a Ziggurat with Phase Anchor, because you can almost completely negate the cooldown, while losing flux in phase, so you can easily win a flux war, even against a Paragon with those Plasma Cannons
Gigacannon - Has a bad reputation, but is surprisingly good on the Executor (see CapnHector's video)

Converted Hangar, High Scatter Amplifier and Phase Anchor come to mind.

Cruisers - Aurora, Gryphon, Dominator, and Doom (if your name is SCC)
Destroyers - Harbinger

That's because not everyone can be CapnHector (myself included)  ;D

Which missile types are good in this update? What missiles should I be putting in which size of mounts, from all the choices? I gather the DEMs are pretty bad. I see Draba and Jang dominating with Reapers but mine always seem to miss. I see people talking about Squall, Locust, Pilum, in what situations are these missiles good? What weapons do they need to be paired with to be effective?

Squall is very strong and will be nerfed to kingdom come by Alex next patch, so you better enjoy it while it lasts! Dragonfire is considered by many to be very bad and unreliable, but in my experience, they can be very strong against High Tech ships with extremely good shield efficiency. Just make sure to pair it with consistent ballistic damage like Heavy Needlers. The idea is that the AI is extremely bad at knowing when to drop their shields, so they will tank your ballistic shots as the Dragonfire charges up, and then drop the shield just as the Dragonfire comes online. Even good against Paragons!

What missiles are worth putting in small mounts? Small mounts basically only carry 1 shot, right?

Breach SRM and Sabots are what I gravitate towards, because they both provide multi-shot high impact conditional utility. Something like a Swarmer has a lot of shots but has very negligible impact unless we're talking super early-game, or a Torpedo has only one, and if you miss the shot, you've wasted the OP investment in that slot.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 12:03:56 AM »

1) Can you link your LP Brawler video? I can't find it.

Yeah there's a couple of them, here's one:

LP Brawlers are fairly squishy, so I basically load them up with as much shields as I can. So I max out their flux capacity, get Hardened Shields, etc. I actually wouldn't recommend a full Brawler fleet, it's better to toss in a few bigger ships to help deal with bigger enemy ships. If Brawlers are Zerglings, then this is like sticking some Hydras with the Zerglings. A lot of other ships could work here, i.e. LP Manticores, Falcons, etc.

2) The XP post is very helpful. Do you know how bonus XP for getting killed works? CapnHector had a post about a Colossus fleet he lost against Ordos and he gained 307 million bonus XP from that. How does that work?

Don't know, I only looked at XP from winning battles, and there are other sources of XP (for example, from trading). When you lose a ship, you get the remainder of the SP XP back, i.e. if you got 25% of the XP initially from using a Story Point, you'll get 75% back if the ship is lost. The Colossus fleet thing was a bug, where the XP was multiplied if multiple ships were lost:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=27116

I've also used HIL/TL-HVD-Squall Champion a lot, but it always felt a bit too slow, lacking punch and rather passive in AI hands, even though Champion is not exactly a glass cannon and can afford to brawl in mid-range. Nowadays I prefer Plasma Cannon Champion with Squall and Arbalests for kinetics.

Yeah Plasma can work too, but has to get too close in for my taste. HIL Champion gets 1000*1.55 + 200 = 1750 range on those beams, while Plasma Cannon gets 700*1.55 = 1085 range. That extra range means that HIL Champions can do damage from relative safety, or combine their damage on a single target more easily, etc. I tend to go for long-range weapons for this reason; I've found that they tend to work the best. It seems like long range weaponry (i.e. missiles, long-range ballistic weapons, maybe fighters) is the current meta in Starsector; I haven't found a faster way to chew through enemy fleets.

You generally want kinetics to be longer range than HE, whereas the Hurricane is very long range. Also, if the large missile is Hurricane, it's hard to get enough anti-shield damage on the Champion that matches up to the Hurricane. Thus in this case I'd use Squall over Hurricane, but Hurricane may work if you're using Autopulse or maybe Plasma.
Pages: [1] 2