Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seed ...finder? Mapper?  (Read 591 times)

woodsmoke

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Seed ...finder? Mapper?
« on: September 09, 2023, 07:46:53 PM »

I started a game a while back with a vanilla seed I really liked. I don't remember details but I wanted to restart the run for some reason or other and, because I'm an idiot, after copying the seed and deleting the save file I went to the character map to get a special character for my character's name. One which didn't have an alt code. So I copied it to the clipboard then immediately realized what I'd just done and commenced the self-kicking.

I've generated what I should probably consider an embarrassing number of new games since then, hoping to find that particular seed again. A fool's errand, to be sure, but as I'm obviously a fool...

Suffice to say I haven't had any luck, so I thought I'd ask here if there's any sort of seed mapper for the game I might use to find the one I'm looking for. I don't suppose anyone's put together a program or perhaps a website that might help me in my witless endeavor?

Or, hell, I'll describe what I remember of the seed (not much, but should be enough for identification purposes) and hope I'm far more fortunate than I've any right to be and one of you actually has it on hand in one of your games. More or less immediately north of the Core was the Rotanna constellation. One of the stars therein was Gream, which I believe was a red giant. Possibly a dwarf. East of that (so east-northeast-ish of the Core) was Telephassa as a yellow star. I don't recall whether it was part of the Rotanna constellation. East of the core Sawal and Diyu (or was it Dawal and Siyu?) comprised a binary star system sat all by its lonesome, not part of any constellation. I don't rightly remember anymore than that but I expect that should be enough to determine whether it's the seed for which I'm looking.

I'm keenly aware of the probability I'm being irrational about this; the whole bloody point of the random seed generation is to have fun exploring a whole new Persean Sector. If, as I strongly suspect will be the case, it turns out I've no recourse but to continue banging my head against the wall of near-infinite new game creation or simply admit defeat at my own stupid hands, I'll make peace with the latter and move on. But I figure it can't hurt to ask here first.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Seed ...finder? Mapper?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »

There exist undelete utilities; that's probably your best bet. Not that this is actually guaranteed to work, mind you - it depends on whether the deleted file has been overwritten yet or not, which is effectively random.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

woodsmoke

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 08:45:30 PM »

Butts. This happened sufficiently long ago I suspect the file having been deleted is all but certain, particularly given my starting and deleting dozens of new games afterward.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 11:25:48 PM »

Depends on how your OS deals with deleted files, and somewhat also on how much free hard drive space you've got. I'd say it's still worth trying.

That said, if you can't recover it, you aren't getting that seed back - the number of possible seeds is far, far too large to do anything resembling a comprehensive search on.
(As in, if you had an automated mechanism that was able to check a million seeds a second, finding the one seed you were looking for would probably still take tens to hundreds of thousands of years.)

A better choice than just re-rolling over and over would be using something like console commands (or perhaps some other mod?) to try and re-create the conditions as you remember them. Building up an entire star system via just console commands is a bit tricky, but not impossible, especially if you start with a system that's already got some of what you're looking for.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

woodsmoke

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 10:50:28 AM »

That sounds like way more effort than it's worth, particularly given I don't remember much more about that seed than what I described above and it having at least two terran planets... somewhere in the larger sector. I thought I'd seen missions offered for three of them in different systems but I can't be confident I wasn't counting one twice, given the length of time between the missions offered.

I tried an undelete utility and didn't find anything beyond the currently active game. It's entirely possible I was using it wrong and/or looking in the wrong place for deleted saves but, at this point, I'm comfortable accepting that save is simply lost. Which is unfortunate but I've been flummoxed by my own clumsiness before; life will go on as it always does.

At any rate, thanks for humoring me. Now I can start exaggerating the Legend of the Lost Seed. Four terran planets! Ten! A hundred! Ultrarich rare ore on every rocky world! Rivers of resources just lying there, waiting for the PC to pick them up and put them to work! The makings of a New Domain! All lost... all lost...

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 11:37:21 PM »

If you happened to have ever taken a screenshot of your character screen, the seed can be found on the lower right of the screen.