Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shield orientation in fleet refit  (Read 414 times)

HackerGamesZz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Shield orientation in fleet refit
« on: September 08, 2023, 10:48:23 AM »

Static shields and static shield mods such as "shield conversion - Front" and "Makeshift Shield Generator" are great for ships with a facing forward orientation of the hull and weapons. They are not so great for moduler, asymmetrical hulls, or for risky-brawler play styles that means enemies are on either side of you.

My proposed change to allow more customization and applicability of static shields, is to be able to orient the shield direction in the refit menu. This way you can orient the static shield ark around the unique shape of your hull and increase decision making on defense for what you want to protect more.

Examples of player use:

A ship with a 'A' shaped hull with a front facing shield isn't always what you want, but you could say this ship gets surrounded a lot so I am going to orient the shields to cover his engines so he can keep moving.

Someone could play a style where they asymmetrically deploy guns heavily on one side of the ship and some light PD on the other, because they are going for the classic ship drive by firing style. You orient your shields to that side of the ship and you can maintain driving speed perpendicular to your preferred firing direction.

Lastly there are lots of ships/modded ships that section of the hull are in fact their own little hull, having some of those mini hulls given a static shield oriented as needed would greatly increase the defense configuration.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
Re: Shield orientation in fleet refit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 11:55:32 AM »

What's wrong with Omni-shield conversion, doesn't it solve this specific issue?

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 07:37:57 AM »

Honestly, while I don't have any particular objections to this, I also don't really see that it has all that much of a point in unmodded Starsector; there aren't any modular hulls, at least not that are available to the player, and about the only ships I can think of off the top of my head that might actually want to use something like this are Conquest and Odyssey, possibly Fury and Eradicator, and maybe Heron - but all of those already have Omni shields, all but Conquest have big enough shield arcs that Front Shield Conversion will cover pretty much anything you want to cover and isn't going to be much if any worse in general than a variant of it which can be configured to move the center of the shield away from the bow of the ship, and of these only Eradicator is all that likely to actually want to engage anything like a peer opponent without its shields up while boom-and-zoom is unnecessary when punching down.

What's wrong with Omni-shield conversion
Reduced shield arc, reduced shield deployment speed, and control limitations - omni shield orientation, active-group weapon aiming point, and camera are all controlled by cursor position.

dragoTwos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 02:44:49 AM »

I once saw a video, making the shield of Onslaught face backwards and i think it do have some advantages, like totally immune to smaller attacker.
And as a conquest lover I think it would surely be a cool function. Support