Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tip for new players: Streamline your fleet for specific tasks.  (Read 2208 times)

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
Tip for new players: Streamline your fleet for specific tasks.
« on: September 03, 2023, 09:19:37 PM »

Money, money is great, who doesn't just love the stuff. It lets you buy cool ships and guns, get fancy colonies, and pay off annoying space fundamentalists.  8)
That's why players will often undertake repetitive tasks that might not be so stimulating, so that they have the financial ability to undertake more entertaining tasks, like firing reapers at everything that moves.

For that reason its important to remember that every single decimal digit of supplies or fuel per day spent, means a considerably longer grind.

In order to avoid that, consider your fleet composition, do you really need to drag a cruiser all the way to the edge of the sector to scan a derelict ship? Probably not. The more you bring only the ships you really need, the more efficient the tasks undertaken.
A smaller fleet might be more vulnerable, but it will also be harder to spot. So remember that you can easily modify ships thinking in the task they will perform.

S-modding logistic ships should be a priority, since if you don't do anything particularly wrong, you will be using them for the whole game, and they'll never blow up. There's also the issue that you can normally only add 2 logistic hullmods per ship, but S-mods don't count, so you can have a colossus, phaeton and salvage gantry that have solar shielding, insulated engines, surveying equipment, and augmented drive or efficiency overhaul. The earlier you get these, the more money they make you throughout a playthrough, and you might use them until the very end of it.

You can have a fleet for exploration, where even the warships have logistic S-mods like Solar Shielding to make you life easier, or efficiency overhaul to diminish your expenses, while having separate ships with more optimized builds for harder combat.
Insulated Engines is very recommended for any exploration fleet as well, since you don't need to have firepower against enemies that can't see you.

When doing sneaky beaky things:
You can grab only a few shepherds and a valkyrie with insulated engines, and go around the entire core, doing raids, spysat deployments and smuggling with extreme ease, while leaving the rest of your fleet in a station somewhere. Later on in the game you can improve this setup by exchanging them for a Revenant and Phantom, making things even easier.
A neat thing to have in mind when raiding, is that patrols can be distracted by sensor bursting with you transponder off, causing them to come investigate, then you sneak around them with go dark, avoiding having to fight them, and in doing so, the need for bigger rep hits and having to bring along combat ships to.

Finally when optimizing combat:
You just need to read every post regarding ship loadouts in the forum since 2015, try and fail building a decent aurora 10 times in a row, cry in a corner after getting rushed by an LP eradicator, spend 300 hours in the combat simulation, and have a knife fight over the lategame viability of your favorite destroyer. Or maybe it isn't that hard. But it sure is harder than optimizing the campaign so you have the cash money moollah to simply throw fleets against a wall until you get good at combat.

So all in all, make your resource acquiring easier and more efficient, so you can enjoy the juicier part of the game without frustration. There will be time once you're good enough  to do all the challenge runs you want.  ;D
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
Re: Tip for new players: Streamline your fleet for specific tasks.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 06:45:46 AM »

While it is optimal to have specific fleet compositions for specific tasks or even specific fights it also gets really old really fast. Travelling to your storage colony/abandoned station, switching around ships, officers, then doing it again after you are done. If you don't want to bother with that late game, and just want to swim in supplies - consider plopping down a com sniffer in any system with a heavy industry/orbital works and raid their next export caravan. Or just stick around core worlds and you will run into one eventually. They are well guarded, usually by several cruisers, but this shouldn't be a problem for your mid game/late game fleet, and they carry around massive quantities of supplies, I'm talking several thousands units, more than enough to supply you for months, be sure to bring salvage rigs 1-2 Atlas haulers.
Wiping out such caravan with transponder off is only -5 relation points, you can also sell heavy armaments and machinery you just acquired to their own colonies, that are experiencing shortages by now and will pay you generously above market rate. You can use open market for a reputation boost or black market for even more money.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:50:22 AM by Nettle »

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 09:02:39 AM »

When im about to get really broke i bring only a single Apogee for expeditions. When i got some money i bring a multi purpose Paragon and the Ziggurrat with an Atlas. Yes my first Atlas gets allways S-Modded first because it will stay mostly with me.

When im rich i add Ox and Prometheus to get faster and safer from A to B.

For special purposes and stealth i use S-Modded Revenants (Insulated Engine!) and Ziggurrat or even just a single Revenant. These things are actually almost invisible.

BFEL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 07:09:47 AM »

And then you have madlads like me who edited files to be able to throw all the logistics mods on at once because *** balance :P

Early game you can do a bunch of the survey contracts with a single dram with very little risk. It's tiny, so stealthy and fuel efficient, and has so much fuel storage it can lap the entire sector a dozen times before needing to refuel. You can also revert back to this playstyle if you ever get really really broke.
Problem is, it doesn't have enough crew and storage space to survey most planets, so eventually you'll have to grab a Venture or something that can do so.
Beyond even THAT to get the juiciest loot from things you explore, you need to beat up derelicts or remnants, which means you need at least enough combat ships to reliably take out stuff like that, which will start to run your costs up a bit, depending on how efficient you are at making combat vessels.

I've personally grabbed enough mods and edited things enough that I can kinda skip some of those issues, while having new ones.
For example, I use Nexerelin, which has planet mining, and also have grabbed Forge Production, so even on the fringes my fleet can grab basic stuff from planets and refine it into supplies and fuel.
Of course the hullmods that let you do that come in three flavors, can only apply to cruisers/capitals, and tank max CR in addition to costing as much OP as Augmented Drive Fields.
So I need at least 3 "forge" ships to be truly self sufficient, and the chance of breakdowns and accidents mean that the "timer" for staying out of the core shifts from supplies/fuel to Credits/Crew

As for other things I've edited that I'm sure several veterans will think are unbalanced.
I've raised the ship limit in my fleet from 30 to 300 (the most I think I've used at once was 76 or so ships) because if I can afford to maintain that many ships I should damn well be able to use them without magically losing supplies for literally no reason. And it's relatively easy to get jumped by 2+ fleets of 30 allied ships but nigh impossible to organize the reverse situation, even with things like Deployments from IndEvo. So I just set it up so I can keep that many ships around.
I've thrown the DP limit up to 1200 or so because thats about the limit my computer can stand FPS wise
I've increased the officer limit to...I forget, something huge because once again if I can pay that many dudes to fly for me I should have the option.
Also increased their max level to 10 because why not.

You may or may not be surprised that I actually had major cashflow problems in my last several playthroughs.
At least until I discovered the magical ability LunaLib allowed to switch crewed ships into automated ones, removing the need for me to pay 250000+ credits every month in salaries.

Er, got a bit far off topic there. Yes, streamlining is very good advice :P

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 09:43:29 AM »

Combat-savvy players would claim that S-modded combat ships have outsized performance penalty at the part of the game they're good at and enjoy.

Logistics-pilled players will recognize S-modding support ships lets you do more combat, longer, and spend less time traveling through hyperspace.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 09:59:42 AM »

Logistics-pilled players will recognize S-modding support ships lets you do more combat, longer, and spend less time traveling through hyperspace.
Having fewer and better combat ships does the same thing.

Travelling to your storage colony/abandoned station
I do this every time I come back to the core worlds. It helps that hoarding is the best way to ensure you will have enough good weapons to fit your ships reliably.

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 05:49:25 PM »

I guess it depends on your definition of 'new'. I've only been playing a month or so. Had a couple of false starts just trying to figure things out, but this last play through (I'm not done with the story yet), I established a colony on a habitable world, and just left it alone to grow (defending it as needed) and kept running missions and gathering ships for spares while it grew. I had to take commissions occasionally to cover costs, but I didn't usually need to stay with any one for more than a few months (I did a commission with Heg, Perseon, and Tri-Tach). I established a second colony in a different system to focus on industry where I could use my artifacts.

Now I'm clearing $400k/month from my colonies, so I don't have to worry about supplies. Both colonies have waystations, and I just resupply there as needed. :)

I'm trying to get my fleet to the point where I can take out the Remnants and complete that part of the storyline. I'm trying to learn this part on my own, just trying different builds and combinations of ships. I can win in a fight against a single Ordo or less, but I take a lot of losses, so I have to whittle down the system fleets and usually go back and re-supply every couple fights. I haven't figured out if the base manufactures new ships or not. I'm still trying to get a reliable count of all the fleets in the system while trying to fight only one at a time...

coldiceEVO

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 08:20:18 PM »

Just kill fleets for supply and fuel anywhere you want.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 10:39:35 PM »

My problem with swapping out to small fleets is that if I run into sweet, phat lewt on the way I have no way to bring it back and that is UNACCEPTABLE.  ALL LOOT BELONGS TO ME.  Besides, I ain't no yellow belly; some pirate or AI wants to chase me, I've got a whole fleet screen full of hands they can catch.  Which means EVEN MORE LOOT.  What's that?  I stumbled on an orbital habitat with tons of cash crops, sweet weapons and colony items?  You bet your ASS I've got cargo space for it!

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 08:22:38 AM »

How do i optimize my fleet for maximum pilum saturation
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 09:39:18 AM »

Condors

Lots of Condors

If you're not going all-in, 1-2 Ventures spew slightly more and survive better. The Ventures also bring their own Salamanders for a front-and-rear omni shield bypass combo.

However a critical mass of Condor-launched Broadswords provides enough kinetic pressure and flares to start getting Pilums through. You'll either want Salamanders on your front line or some mixed-in Claws for the EMP. The front line needs to be mobile ships good at exploiting flanks, flamed out targets, and frigate leakers trying to sneak past them and pick off a Condor.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 02:19:59 PM »

Condors

Lots of Condors

If you're not going all-in, 1-2 Ventures spew slightly more and survive better. The Ventures also bring their own Salamanders for a front-and-rear omni shield bypass combo.

However a critical mass of Condor-launched Broadswords provides enough kinetic pressure and flares to start getting Pilums through. You'll either want Salamanders on your front line or some mixed-in Claws for the EMP. The front line needs to be mobile ships good at exploiting flanks, flamed out targets, and frigate leakers trying to sneak past them and pick off a Condor.
What about that fancy new large slot pilum catapult?
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 02:33:41 PM »

Hear me out - Support Doctrine, Pilum armed Vigilance, 20 of them for 80 DP, and you still have 160 DP and 10 fleet slots to play with.

BFEL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 06:57:02 PM »

Why would you want to though?

...am I the only one who finds Pilums to be nigh worthless?

I mean I love the idea of an artillery type missile to launch from beyond normal range, but the Pilum just massively underperforms in every way imo
And this is now that it's better then it was a few versions back, where I had never once seen one actually hit anything because even a disabled Onslaught could outrun them.

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 07:58:27 PM »

Why would you want to though?

...am I the only one who finds Pilums to be nigh worthless?

I mean I love the idea of an artillery type missile to launch from beyond normal range, but the Pilum just massively underperforms in every way imo
And this is now that it's better then it was a few versions back, where I had never once seen one actually hit anything because even a disabled Onslaught could outrun them.
I agree. They are so slow in their primary boost phase, and not much better during the secondary. As much as Squalls are wasted and miss their targets, they are infinitely better, even at finishing.
Pages: [1] 2