Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Doom can't keep getting away with it  (Read 2360 times)

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Doom can't keep getting away with it
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2023, 08:29:12 AM »

I will still hope there will be a "disable all phase ships" setting at some point that also makes sense in the lore context and replaces these parts (so story doesn't mention phase nor there are any story phase fleets like the one when looking for Alpha Site). It's unfun and unfair to fight them, I fear a 4 DP shade or worse, pack of them more than a single Onslaught, against phase have to have 360 degree shields to feel safe and then there's the Harbinger who disables them and all guns, need heavy guns and flak pointing in all directions and can't chase them bcs of their disgusting speed (a Shade can still cross the whole map in mere 3 seconds despite the speed debuffs). Having to just sit there and wait for their CR to run out while curling into a defensive PD pointing everywhere ball is so much fun, or the fact they have literal invulnerability so you can't punish overextending unless AI is being dumb and I would rather not have AI be dumb, I want it to be smart and just not have access to phase. Phase and generally end game simply break how the game plays in an unfun way favoring high-tech, anti-shield, long range and constant damage at all times to either keep phase at bay or hit these stupid doritos who just zoom away if they want to. Once 1.0 hits it probably gonna be unfun teleporting, phasing and speeding time dorito battle station that also disables your everything and surrounds you with 20 mines while you can't touch it unless your entire fleet points at it with tachyons from all sides, even loot from them is unfun for low-tech enthusiast, it's all energy pew pews that mostly fit only in energy slots and are usually close range so only fit for fast high-tech ships and phase. I beat all of that on first try without S-modding everything with any kind of fleet but it is clear I do vastly better with high-tech ships and when being a cannons barrage enthusiast playing only low-tech ships fleets and listening to the ASMR, it makes sense low-tech is "low" but it's also sad Ziggurat will always be the best option, story expects you to have it and future end-game is going to be a chore unless played a certain way. Hopefully at least the lore will be fun (and a last ditch to get a low-tech tanky broadside ship).

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2023, 09:43:11 AM »

I will still hope there will be a "disable all phase ships" setting at some point that also makes sense in the lore context and replaces these parts (so story doesn't mention phase nor there are any story phase fleets like the one when looking for Alpha Site). It's unfun and unfair to fight them, I fear a 4 DP shade or worse, pack of them more than a single Onslaught, against phase have to have 360 degree shields to feel safe and then there's the Harbinger who disables them and all guns, need heavy guns and flak pointing in all directions and can't chase them bcs of their disgusting speed (a Shade can still cross the whole map in mere 3 seconds despite the speed debuffs). Having to just sit there and wait for their CR to run out while curling into a defensive PD pointing everywhere ball is so much fun, or the fact they have literal invulnerability so you can't punish overextending unless AI is being dumb and I would rather not have AI be dumb, I want it to be smart and just not have access to phase. Phase and generally end game simply break how the game plays in an unfun way favoring high-tech, anti-shield, long range and constant damage at all times to either keep phase at bay or hit these stupid doritos who just zoom away if they want to. Once 1.0 hits it probably gonna be unfun teleporting, phasing and speeding time dorito battle station that also disables your everything and surrounds you with 20 mines while you can't touch it unless your entire fleet points at it with tachyons from all sides, even loot from them is unfun for low-tech enthusiast, it's all energy pew pews that mostly fit only in energy slots and are usually close range so only fit for fast high-tech ships and phase. I beat all of that on first try without S-modding everything with any kind of fleet but it is clear I do vastly better with high-tech ships and when being a cannons barrage enthusiast playing only low-tech ships fleets and listening to the ASMR, it makes sense low-tech is "low" but it's also sad Ziggurat will always be the best option, story expects you to have it and future end-game is going to be a chore unless played a certain way. Hopefully at least the lore will be fun (and a last ditch to get a low-tech tanky broadside ship).
Beams, SO ships with chainguns, fast frigates (tempest), devastators and HAG large ballistics all counter phase ships really well. Long range weapons to make them stay in phase longer so they build up more flux and slow down are also good.

I do agree that the main end game opponents being high tech is quite annoying. Either give factions mega fleets or swap some remnant systems with buffed derelicts so there are end game low tech fights. I suggested a sentinal style fleet made of Invictus and such ships because that would be scary as hell.
Omega composite weapons would be cool as well.

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2023, 10:55:34 AM »

Beams, SO ships with chainguns, fast frigates (tempest), devastators and HAG large ballistics all counter phase ships really well. Long range weapons to make them stay in phase longer so they build up more flux and slow down are also good.

I do agree that the main end game opponents being high tech is quite annoying. Either give factions mega fleets or swap some remnant systems with buffed derelicts so there are end game low tech fights. I suggested a sentinal style fleet made of Invictus and such ships because that would be scary as hell.
Omega composite weapons would be cool as well.

I do use HAG on my Dominators and my Retribution (latest build), it puts pressure yes, but, phase ships are so extremely fast they can just circle around you or kite you, all low tech ships are too heavy to just turn around and the game is made for all guns on face so unless you are piloting an Onslaught, you kinda don't have much butt protection. Retribution is a ship about flanking and stuff but every time I spot a phase ship I have to change the side of battle assuming there is one without phase or simply have to stick with the ball till all phase retreats or is killed off bcs the moment you split away they just keep pounding you from behind bcs it takes 0.1s for them to phase thro you and launch torpedos into your engines or AM blasters. I just hate phase so much. As Onslaught I just had enough guns pointing everywhere that phase explodes anyway even when backstabbing (if AI was smart then not even Onslaught would survive just like how player can obliterate any ship that isn't 360 degrees shield cover). Had same experience when I had a more balanced fleet of mid-laners 1 update ago with Conquest, Champions, Monitors, back when phase was not nerfed yet and the phase story fleet was not nerfed too, I spent hours trying to beat them bcs not even curling into a ball and having point defense in all directions was enough to stop all the mines from Dooms and Harbingers disabling and entropy, zapping and all that. I suffered many many hours fighting both omegas and phases in the past as low, mid and mix tech, strangely, having just a bunch of Apogees and an Odysey trivalizes the game bcs I had beams in all directions, high flux/shield efficiency, speed, range, 360 degree shields on all and later all the omega loot was compatybile with my ships unlike lower techs, not to mention I had 0 loses with that fleet, it was just a free real estate, I even made a post asking if doritos were nerfed back then when I made this fleet bcs it was so extremely easy compared to low and mid tech. Even taking damage was a stretch with a high tech fleet, doritos didn't even overflux any of my ships back then.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2023, 02:25:17 AM »

Bring fighter cover or a Pilum carpet with your Low Tech. Bam, phase ships harassers pressured out.

I think the most obvious gap between AI and player use of Doom is minestrike on fighters to hit ships. If AI turned every recuperating fighter swarm hanging out near the engines, or every returning bomber flying past an allied ship into a bomb half as well as players do, Doom would be terrifying.

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2023, 09:08:55 AM »

I have 4 Moras and 2 Manticores, all of them equiped with 2 pillums for total of 10 medium pillum spam, Mora captains also have missile skill to spam them more. It's not that I can't deal with them, it's that I despise them and I have 0 problem dealing with them as high-tech with 360 degree shields and high speed, it's just not fun for me.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »

Interesting things about the Doom video:

Tourney fits without officers use Monitors with no guns. However, *with* officer skills you can probably get a very nasty kinetic pressure build (thanks for the idea Alex) with a single ion cannon to force shields up. The question is "are these guns giving more survivability than spending that flux and OP on defensive hullmods would?"
- The flak is too short range to get a significant number of missiles and won't kill fighters without something to break their armor or shields.
- Kinetic damage landing on enemy shields or EMP disabling enemy weapons is way better than tanking them. (Not as good as Fortress Shield tanking - but without 1st person view of what the SO Monitor is doing it's hard to say what fraction of the time it was FS tanking.)

There's room to be more efficient with mine usage. They're a large chunk of the Doom's damage output and having to spend more than one on a fighter wing due to missing is a significant damage output loss. In other words, Peak Performance Doom would be even *more* terrifying than this.

It's neat to know that an Alpha Core in charge of a phase ship could wreak utter havoc on the sector and destroy the Hegemony's fleets solo. Actually... Now that I think about it, why aren't there Remnant phase ships? What do the AIs know that we don't??

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2023, 11:02:47 PM »

There's room to be more efficient with mine usage. They're a large chunk of the Doom's damage output and having to spend more than one on a fighter wing due to missing is a significant damage output loss. In other words, Peak Performance Doom would be even *more* terrifying than this.
It's impossible for Monitor to deal that well or that quickly with fighters. A single mine can clear out an entire Flash bombing run, while it would take probably upwards of 10 seconds for Monitor to do this. This doesn't sound bad, until you realise that's time when Monitor won't be using fortress shield to absorb damage, and Monitor's job is to absorb damage. To put it differently, I never died because of fighters, but I frequently died because Monitor either wasn't close enough, or I was trying to do this without a Monitor.

xWeedman420x

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »

Soloing with the doom woild be pretty based though What about Aurora? To make less than 37 points.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »

Mines are for killing fighter wings, but every missed mine or missed opportunity to double-dip damage on a passing ship adds up. Mines can be top damage over shunt weapons.

Matching Doom's applied damage output with less DP is a tough but interesting benchmark.

Kaphraxus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2023, 11:45:14 AM »

Now that I think about it, why aren't there Remnant phase ships? What do the AIs know that we don't??

At the risk of going off topic, I expect there will be a story update that addresses this very thing. Either with a remnant phase ship or (I hope) something far more redacted.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 11:46:59 AM »

Alex was asked about Remnant phase ship and he said there's no reason for it and that it would be fun to try it out one day. Maybe if he remembers about it.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2023, 03:07:48 PM »

In a thread about the Doom being utterly unstoppable in the hands of skilled pilots, asking why skilled Doom pilots don't exist in-universe is interesting!

Luddites spread rumors about their immortal souls being eaten. Personally I don't think it's the souls.
Pages: 1 [2]