Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Market price differs from reported price  (Read 272 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
Market price differs from reported price
« on: July 26, 2023, 06:01:58 AM »

I wish I could provide a screenshot here, but for whatever reason, Print Screen screenshots of Starsector do not capture pop-up menu contents. I hope the following description will suffice:

I am currently on Asher. When I go to buy supplies in the Open Market or Black Market, the price is 82/unit. Never leaving the dock, I press F1 to view more details about the best places to buy, and Asher is listed as 3rd cheapest place to buy at **84/unit**, behind Chicomoztoc at 83/unit and Kazeron at 84/unit.

When in reality, of course, Asher should be ranked first at 82/unit.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Market price differs from reported price
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »

If you take a look at the (admittedly a bit hard to read) text at the bottom of the tooltip, it'll explain what's going on. Also, the column heading says "Price/750". Basically, it's showing you the price if you buy X amount of a commodity, not just one unit. So while Asher is the cheapest place to buy one unit, it falls behind in per-unit price if you buy a lot of it.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 09:07:48 AM »

Aha, thanks for the clarification, Alex! That'll teach me not to read the fine print  ;D

Karma Chimera

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 11:33:06 PM »

TLDR: Asher is a small economy so its prices change quickly in response to changes in supply, while Chicomoztoc is a huge economy and you can buy and sell heaps of stuff while the price only changes a little in response to your trade activity.