Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: N00b questions  (Read 6060 times)

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: N00b questions
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2023, 05:39:08 PM »

Dumb question only tangentially related to Starsector: How do I take screenshots in game (Or record?) Do I need special software or is that something windows (11) can do native?

Thanks
Hit prtscr button and check \Starsector\screenshot folder

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2023, 06:29:52 AM »

Ah, thanks.

One thing I noticed: Some of my officers don't seem to get the full benefit of Crew Training, and their max CR is only around 74-78% or something in that range. I can't figure out anything in their skill tree that negatively affects CR, and the ships don't have any D-mods on them. I tested this by switching officers around, and the CR will actually go down when moved to a ship with higher CR (85 is the default).

Is that something that happens to the level 7 officers? Or is it something else?

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2023, 07:38:42 AM »

Ah, thanks.

One thing I noticed: Some of my officers don't seem to get the full benefit of Crew Training, and their max CR is only around 74-78% or something in that range. I can't figure out anything in their skill tree that negatively affects CR, and the ships don't have any D-mods on them. I tested this by switching officers around, and the CR will actually go down when moved to a ship with higher CR (85 is the default).

Is that something that happens to the level 7 officers? Or is it something else?

Base CR is 70%, Crew Training increases it by 15% fleet-wide for all combat ships, assigning an officer with combat endurance will increase it by additional 15% for the maximum of 100%.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2023, 08:20:33 AM »

Or is it something else?
Huh.

Your fleet isn't over 240 DP in combat ships, right? And we're not talking about AI ships?

I can't actually think of any way adding a captain to a ship should ever reduce its CR, unless by captain you mean AI core because of the specific way the Automated Ships skill works.

If you do mean AI cores, though, it's that; ships with cores in them count against that skill's limits more heavily, and you're getting a CR penalty for going over.

Nettle

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2023, 09:24:58 AM »

Your fleet isn't over 240 DP in combat ships, right? And we're not talking about AI ships?

I can't actually think of any way adding a captain to a ship should ever reduce its CR, unless by captain you mean AI core because of the specific way the Automated Ships skill works.

Crew Training doesn't have a DP soft-cap. Also, I can think of one specific scenario - if you have both Crew Training and Support Doctrine (which will apply additional 15% CR to all ships without assigned officers due to simulated Combat Endurance), assigning an officer without combat endurance will result in 85% CR total instead of 100%.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:27:24 AM by Nettle »

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »

Crew Training doesn't have a DP soft-cap. Also, I can think of one specific scenario - if you have both Crew Training and Support Doctrine (which will apply additional 15% CR to all ships without assigned officers due to simulated Combat Endurance), assigning an officer without combat endurance will result in 85% CR total instead of 100%.
I do have both those skills. I'll get some screen caps for you to see. It seems like it only happens on the two officers that are level 7. Neither has Combat Endurance unfortunately, but their max CR is still lower than some of my other officers (level 6 max) that don't have Combat Endurance, either. One of them is max 74%, which is barely over the default 70%, and that's with the 15% boost from crew training.

Another question that occured to me: I have one colony with Commerce. Where do the taxes go when I sell or buy stuff there? To me? I don't see them showing up in income, or do they vanish into the ether? :D

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2023, 11:34:18 AM »

Crew Training doesn't have a DP soft-cap.

Yes it does. 15% up to 240 DP of combat ships, then dropping proportionally.  Combat ships essentially is everything without the civilian hullmod (and the two phase logistics ships).  Although militarized subsystems will make civilian ships count as combat ships for this as well.  However, this CR bonus is completely unaffected by the presence or absence of officers.  So should be flat across the board.

In a pure vanilla game, CR bonuses can come from:
Crew Training: +15% (up to 240 DP and scaling down, applies to all combat ships)
Support Doctrine: Effect of Combat Endurance on unofficered ships, so +15% to all unofficered ships
Hull Restoration: +5% per s-mod
Combat Endurance: Officer specific, +15%

Max CR Reductions only can come from lack of crew or d-mods.

You can't have 85% max CR on some ships due to crew training and only 74% max CR on another, unless that other ship has d-mods or is not a combat ship.  In any case, you can go to your skills screen, hover over Crew training, and it will tell you the current % being applied (along with the DP values).  The example screen shot shows a full +15% since I have only 236 DP out of 240 DP combat ships at the moment.

Is this a pure vanilla game, or you running any mods, like Starship Legends?  That mod in particular has some traits which are related to CR and can be affected by how many battles a particular officer has been at the helm of a ship, and whether the ship survived or had to be salvaged from those fights.

Edit:
Taxes paid disappear into the ether.  It is gamified so that a commerce colony you own doesn't default into the best place to sell stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 11:36:36 AM by Hiruma Kai »

Nettle

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2023, 01:11:05 PM »

Yes it does. 15% up to 240 DP of combat ships, then dropping proportionally.

Oh yeah, explains the numbers. I somehow missed this tooltip for Crew Training in-game, and it wasn't mentioned on the Wiki page either, edited it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 01:13:06 PM by Nettle »

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2023, 07:50:28 PM »

Crew Training doesn't have a DP soft-cap.

Yes it does. 15% up to 240 DP of combat ships, then dropping proportionally.  Combat ships essentially is everything without the civilian hullmod (and the two phase logistics ships).  Although militarized subsystems will make civilian ships count as combat ships for this as well.  However, this CR bonus is completely unaffected by the presence or absence of officers.  So should be flat across the board.

In a pure vanilla game, CR bonuses can come from:
Crew Training: +15% (up to 240 DP and scaling down, applies to all combat ships)
Support Doctrine: Effect of Combat Endurance on unofficered ships, so +15% to all unofficered ships
Hull Restoration: +5% per s-mod
Combat Endurance: Officer specific, +15%

Max CR Reductions only can come from lack of crew or d-mods.

You can't have 85% max CR on some ships due to crew training and only 74% max CR on another, unless that other ship has d-mods or is not a combat ship.  In any case, you can go to your skills screen, hover over Crew training, and it will tell you the current % being applied (along with the DP values).  The example screen shot shows a full +15% since I have only 236 DP out of 240 DP combat ships at the moment.

Is this a pure vanilla game, or you running any mods, like Starship Legends?  That mod in particular has some traits which are related to CR and can be affected by how many battles a particular officer has been at the helm of a ship, and whether the ship survived or had to be salvaged from those fights.

Edit:
Taxes paid disappear into the ether.  It is gamified so that a commerce colony you own doesn't default into the best place to sell stuff.
Maybe it's the D-mods. I tend to grab a 'spare' ship or two and fly around with them until all their D-mods are repaired, so maybe that's what's going on. Thanks for the detailed explanation. And yes, just vanilla. I haven't even looked at mods yet. I want to complete the story line before I even look at mods. :)

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2023, 02:51:39 PM »

I saw a screenshot someone posted showing their ship stats (kills and things like that). I can't find it now, but is that a mod, or is there a way to access that in the game?

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2023, 12:01:16 AM »

I saw a screenshot someone posted showing their ship stats (kills and things like that). I can't find it now, but is that a mod, or is there a way to access that in the game?
That's either Detailed Combat Results or Fleet Action History.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2023, 05:37:51 PM »

Another dumb question: What affects the odds of getting to recover enemy ships (with or without story points)? Sometimes I will go after a bounty fleet because I see it has one or two ship types that I've been looking for, usually at a significant personal risk to my fleet, as I'm typically going for larger capital ships that I don't have yet.

For instance, if I try to mostly hit it with beams or blasters instead of missiles and ballistics, does that make a difference? I had a recent fight where the bounty fleet had 2 Champion class cruisers and I was hoping to recover one or both. I know at least one was only disabled, and not destroyed, but it didn't show up in the list of possible recoveries.

On the other hand, the Pegasus, which I didn't expect to even defeat, was able to be recovered. :D

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »

Well, the ship getting exploded into pieces instead of simply made inoperable (but remaining in one piece) seems to be a pretty big driver of what makes stuff recoverable.
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2023, 09:39:10 PM »

That's what I would have thought, but the correlations seems pretty weak, at least for enemy ships. Even when my ships get blown into little pieces, I get to recover them. I do have the skill that pretty much guarantees that, though (Derelict Operations?).

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2023, 07:13:16 AM »

That's what I would have thought, but the correlations seems pretty weak, at least for enemy ships. Even when my ships get blown into little pieces, I get to recover them. I do have the skill that pretty much guarantees that, though (Derelict Operations?).
For your ships, having an officer, smod, or reinforced bulkhead/rugged construction makes them "almost always recoverable". I don't think there's anything you can do to make enemy ships more likely to be recovered. It's probably just luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]