Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ramming always works  (Read 11379 times)

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Re: Ramming always works
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:18 AM »

I usually crush my heavily damaged ships (that are either way doomed) at the enemy. I try to get as close to enemy hull as it is possible with all guns blazing. Death explosions are nasty, you know :)

A single death of a frigate could cripple a DE or even CR (at least by disabling weapons for some time). Just don`t allow your prey to raise shields.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »

Hmm theres an idea, you could fit out a relitivley cheap ship with as many kinetiks as possible and send it on an engage order at some thing giant, so it takes down shields then explodes, a fast destroyer would be good for this. although they may in later releases that when a ship is destroyed it would lose suppliezs/fuel stored inside ( although this could make for a better explosion) so it might not be worth it. another way to go could be that they make it so the more flux you have the bigger the explosion, :)))) Then i would most definatly have a suicide paragon wirth high flux but low damage kinetics and let it wipe out half the battlefield.
Hound=Troll machine

Karmashock

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »

I don't think it would do all that much damage, considering the generally large contact areas and relatively low speeds of the ships outweigh the mass increase from the projectiles that are shot. The best one could hope for with ramming I think would be to knock a ship's aim off for a few seconds
You'd think, but imagine a WW2 battleship crashing into the side of another WW2 battleship.

Sure, those big guns do a lot of damage if a ship went bow on into the side of another one it would probably end it.

Also, I think there were ships intentionally built to ram ships in one of the ancient greek versus persian wars. How fast were those boats going? We're talking about oar driven boats with brass tipped rams.

So speed doesn't matter much if you've got a lot of mass behind it.

I'd keep the idea only because it would be interesting.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 12:02:27 AM »

Also you can still fire the engines when you're in contact.

As a crazy alternative, a hullmod to turn a ship into a flying bomb: The ship uses only 20% of its normal crew complement but weapons and shields cannot be operated. When the bomb is activated the remaining crew will eject, giving enemies a warning that the ship is about to explode. After a few seconds it deals damage based on the ship's OP (potentially the damage of mounted weapons as well) and cargo space in a massive blast that can likely obliterate a ship of the same size as the bomb ship. The bomb ship is destroyed and nothing can be salvaged. Using a big ship as a bomb would be really devastating but you'd need a lot of money to be able to throw cruisers or battleships around as bombs.

Karmashock

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »

A frigate that can take out a capital ship would be pretty awesome... all be it at the cost of it's own existence. Maybe that's too extreme but whatever... use a cruiser if you have to.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »

I think a much more interesting route would be a short-range mining beam or drill, which has high damage but you almost have to be touching the opposing ship or its shields to work. That's something you could easily mod in though.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 06:06:37 AM »

I think that the Antimatter Blaster filled the role of close range capital ship pwn'er already. I wouldn't mind a weapon with a higher DPS with an even smaller range though.

I'm indifferent to the ramming ship idea. It would be cool, it just don't fit my own style of play. However, a ship self destructing to do massive damage I'm entirely opposed to. Units like that have always *** me off in games. Watch as I take a frigate that costs 5000 credits and ram it into your capital ship that costs 160000, destroying them both.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »

I don't think it would do all that much damage, considering the generally large contact areas and relatively low speeds of the ships outweigh the mass increase from the projectiles that are shot. The best one could hope for with ramming I think would be to knock a ship's aim off for a few seconds
You'd think, but imagine a WW2 battleship crashing into the side of another WW2 battleship.

Sure, those big guns do a lot of damage if a ship went bow on into the side of another one it would probably end it.

Also, I think there were ships intentionally built to ram ships in one of the ancient greek versus persian wars. How fast were those boats going? We're talking about oar driven boats with brass tipped rams.

So speed doesn't matter much if you've got a lot of mass behind it.

I'd keep the idea only because it would be interesting.

The way I see the collisions working like is if a tank crashes into another one. Sure the people inside both would be disoriented for a while, to say the least, but I don't think (could be very wrong, just going by shaky theory here) the tanks would be much worse off themselves. And take into consideration there wouldn't be friction from the land/sea to worry about to keep the opposing craft "anchored" in the collision and that would mitigate the damage quite a lot.

Take into consideration the Ramming Frigate in Homeworld Cataclysm, the damage the ramming itself does is rather low, though it does cart ships miles away from the fight, though it's the cutting beam that does the majority of the hurt on the ship. I do see a use for ramming, like for desperate last attacks and separating enemy ships, though I don't see it as a cinematic sacrifice for the ages kind of thing

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 07:09:57 AM »

Watch as I take a frigate that costs 5000 credits and ram it into your capital ship that costs 160000, destroying them both.

I don't think a frig would be able to one-hit-kill a capital ship, maybe strip the armor around the impact site provided the shields aren't up.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »

I'm thinking a close range weapon about 25 to 50 rang with mega damage unlimited ammo and low fix high op. that way you could ram effectively not kill team mates and look awesome.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »

Sounds a bit OP, but whatever. Good idea.

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »

Watch as I take a frigate that costs 5000 credits and ram it into your capital ship that costs 160000, destroying them both.

I don't think a frig would be able to one-hit-kill a capital ship, maybe strip the armor around the impact site provided the shields aren't up.

I think it all depends on the exact situation.

An example similar to that of a frigate taking out a capital ship would be that of the kamikaze planes in WWII that took out aircraft carriers... Granted you had to hit the ship just right (preferably below the water line), but the chance was still there that you could cripple those massive ships with just a wooden plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze

Edit:  I do agree that it is kinda messed up and probably beyond the scope of this game (seeing as it isn't about macro warfare) to include.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:38:16 PM by GankedToast »

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:27 AM »

Well, the alternative is sticking a pair of reapers on a Lasher and firing them at point blank.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »

Another point to bring to bear is the speeds involved.

If you consider average, standard combat speeds, yeah they're pretty damned slow and impacts would be minimal.

However, if you're actually intending to use your ship as club, engines would be on absolute max (think about the emergency speed mentioned when you retreat).

Karmashock

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »

it does cart ships miles away from the fight
This is a very good point.

The point of ramming might not be to do damage to a ship so much as break up an enemy formation. Just separate the enemy fleet by sending in a few ships to ferry them away so that other ships can destroy the core of an enemy fleet without interruption.
Pages: 1 [2] 3