Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ramming always works  (Read 11380 times)

Killyama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ramming always works
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »

What do you think about increasing collision damaged(when both sides have their shields down) or introducing a special battleship class dedicated to ramming tactics.It pains me to see how little damage does ramming inflict,considering that your ship IS the biggest and strongest projectile you can possible get.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Ramming always works
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:46:27 AM »

Hmm... it would be nice to see more damage from collisions but this could cause problems with accidental hits, so maybe like flux supercharge of energy weapons there could be a collision damage multiplier for your speed.
Hound=Troll machine

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 02:28:41 AM »

agreed, as is the ships give a distinct "bumper cart" feel
mmm.... tartiflette

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »

Let us stick ramming spikes on our ships!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »

Ramming speed!

Thunk

Damage report!
The galley reports two marshmallows have exploded!
DAMMIT

Ramming works one way and one way only: if you peel off armour, it can do about 300 pts of damage usually
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »

Stratosphere had nice ramming mechanics back in the day, you could stick spikes on your fortress and if you rammed those into exposed systems they did massive damage, on the other hand if you hit a wall (fortress equivalent of heavy armor) your spikes would get blunted long before the wall goes down. If you were particularly crazy you could just ram your fortress's exposed structures into the enemy and simply hope that yours had more HP left than his. Also if you destroyed the core of a fort it would explode and rip a chunk out of you if you were in melee. You could even get giant drills but I think you couldn't ram too hard with those or they'd break, you'd have to hover in drill range of the enemy for a while which is why I never bothered with them (spikes, wall and boosters! Who needs sanity?).

Killyama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:14:09 AM »

Ramming works one way and one way only: if you peel off armour, it can do about 300 pts of damage usually

Well,ramming also works when you've got a limited supply of torpedo/missiles(which you always do) and you absolutely don't want to miss.
I also once used the carcass of the destroyed enemy carries as the cover from the swarm of the incoming missiles,by pushing it in front of me until I got into the firing range of my heavy maulers and burned the bastard to crisps.Though it doesn't really count as ramming  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:18:00 AM by Killyama »

Karmashock

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 06:38:27 AM »

Accidental hits shouldn't do damage especially between friendly units.

But deliberate collisions should mutually disastrous... unless the ship has some kind of a special hull mod that makes it designed to collide. The big ships are so slow that they can't collide with anything that doesn't want to collide with them. But frigates might be interesting rammers.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »

I don't think it would do all that much damage, considering the generally large contact areas and relatively low speeds of the ships outweigh the mass increase from the projectiles that are shot. The best one could hope for with ramming I think would be to knock a ship's aim off for a few seconds

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »

Well for the modders out there that might know what I'm talking about, would it not be possible to implement some sort of special bounds for a ship that specifically have higher ramming damage potential, such as you make sword like ship, and instead of a regular bound at the tip, it could have a "ramming" bound with say whatever multiple of extra damage dealt but maybe only when shields are down?

Something like that :P

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »

I don't think it would do all that much damage, considering the generally large contact areas and relatively low speeds of the ships outweigh the mass increase from the projectiles that are shot. The best one could hope for with ramming I think would be to knock a ship's aim off for a few seconds

I think that depends on how durable this armor is. Look at what a car can do when it crashes into things. The frontal armor would have to absorb enough force to bring the mass of the entire ship to a standstill.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »

I think that depends on how durable this armor is. Look at what a car can do when it crashes into things. The frontal armor would have to absorb enough force to bring the mass of the entire ship to a standstill.

Cars have crumple zones. Spaceships might not.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

Alex said before that spaceship armour is spaced to stop impacts, which is why kinetics don't work. So yes they have crumple zones.
There's a new mod out with a super-short range kinetic weapon called a mining drill. That sounds good.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »

Now I feel like designing a fire ship. A suicide cruiser with an explosive warhead that it can only fire at point blank range.

Ramming speed!

Killyama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

Oh yeah,and we already got an equivalent of the ramming speed.

Just lower you shield,turn off all you weapons and row ahead to the glorious victory!Glory or Death indeed.
Pages: [1] 2 3