Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New simulation mode?  (Read 4132 times)

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
New simulation mode?
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »

How about having a simulation mode on the main menu that allows you to use and customize any ship in the game with any weapons and test it out against some enemys? I think many people would enjoy this so that, instead of having to refit and test ingame, people could try out any combination and then if they like it make it into a variant to use in campaign.
Hound=Troll machine

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New simulation mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »

This would be taking the Refit Simulation a bit further.  But, I think we can do better than this.  How about an Instant Action mode, that would double as this suggestion but also allow you to build two fleets (or import presets) and have them go at each other?  You could customize everything; objective layout, astroid level, AI intelligence, and so on.  You would be able to refit any ship you like.

Presets would govern general battle setup, like "Large Fleet battle" or "Strike Force v. Capital Ship."  Like missions, only more customizable, and sans backstory.

I was going to make a post about this, suppose I might later.

Bambamdas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »

How about having a simulation mode on the main menu that allows you to use and customize any ship in the game with any weapons and test it out against some enemys?

Great idea :D so you don't have to buy weapons try them on Simulation And See that they don't work Good enough so you buy other weapons => Big loss of credits Till you find the best option ;D

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »

Yea, being able to customize both sides would be fun, is there any way in the current simulation mode to get different enemys?
Hound=Troll machine

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »

I would like to see this feature get in game.
It would probably help to make this game more versatile when it comes to what you want to do when you start the game.

MrCoffee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »

How about having a simulation mode on the main menu that allows you to use and customize any ship in the game with any weapons and test it out against some enemys?

Great idea :D so you don't have to buy weapons try them on Simulation And See that they don't work Good enough so you buy other weapons => Big loss of credits Till you find the best option ;D

That's already in the game on the refit screen, you can buy weapons, try them out in simulation and if you don't like them the game will refund the  credits.

Problem is if the weapon isn't in stock or you don't have the ship you want to try out.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

But also if  you mess round for too long it wont refund you
Hound=Troll machine

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »

But also if  you mess round for too long it wont refund you

Just quick save right before doing it.  The only time it won't refund you is if you go to another screen or ship, at which point the financial transaction will be completed.

If you want to go to another ship, use Undo, or Strip, or just remove the parts you don't have in your cargo.

Whenever I want to figure out a new variant, I go find it in a mission and Refit it there.  Then I export the variant.  It'd obviously be nicer if there was just a Refit mode on the main menu.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »

I don't like the idea of having every ship and every weapon available from the start. For me, part of the fun is to discover new ships and I'm proud when i earned the money and can fly it for the first time.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »

hmm in that case howabout you can only use ships that you have in your fleet?
Hound=Troll machine