Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sprite cycling  (Read 4304 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
Sprite cycling
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »

By wich I mean multiple sprites cycling at a set speed

This would be to either add some animated details to ship hulls like radar dishes, or reactors/tubines....there's other possible examples !

Also the ability to have this trigger when the ship is using certain maneuvers like straffing or firing a certain weapon

Seems rathers simplistic but hell that'd be appreciated

If I can do that I'll consider trying to make mods myself...

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:19:44 AM »

I think this is an awesome idea. Gives lots of flavor animations just to have a couple of couple of frames running. Blip Bloop carrier landing deck lights etc.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:57:18 AM »

It's come up before.
Too much animation and it'll become obvious the damage decal overlay is static

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:02:01 AM »

Then the damage decal overlay would also have to be animated, or at least each animated sprite would need come with its own damage overlay - with would also mean modders could use it, so long as the damage overlays look the same as vanilla ones.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:42:05 AM »

Honestly, this is most aesthetic icing. This would require more time and effort than the devs could possible put into this game and still get it out the door in finished form within a reasonable timeframe. The graphics are nice enough as-is and it's still in alpha/active dev. While some more eye-candy would be nice, I'd probably hold off on it until the beta stage unless adding the feature in the future would require working out the system now.

I agree it would be nice and add some personality to the ships, but I'd rather the devs work on stuff that adds to the gameplay first.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »

Agreed, but i honestly cannot see something like this taking very much time at all, because the backbone for it already exists in the game.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »

maybe I'm just not very technically sound... but won't that take too much memory?

Basically instead of loading 1 sprite ur loading god knows how many...

one or two would just look out of place against the high fps of the rest of the game, and 30-50 would be overkill, no?
mmm.... tartiflette

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »

From what I can tell, this is a sprite-based game. Imagine all the overhead you'd need to make another set of sprites for every ship. Even if you share sprites, imagine the coding needed to position the same sprite correctly on different ships. The damage decal issue was already brought up as well. You'd have to take those into account when creating and setting the animation sprites.

Many things look simple at first glance until you dig into it and start accounting for everything.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »

one or two would just look out of place against the high fps of the rest of the game, and 30-50 would be overkill, no?

You'd need about 6 or 8 sprites to do something looking fairly decent and even then its still going a tad overboard

For example a spinning radar dish would take 9 sprites if its doing a 360 spin

Besides I never said it HAD to featured in the vanilla content, I was meaning it to be doable mainly for mod purposes

Also you don't NEED to put doodads all over your damn ship you could do something like ONE part of your ship who'd need to made multiple times, besides peoples wil most likely get lazy and just kit-bash them things

Instead of taking you 5 minutes it'll take you an extra 2 or 3 minutes to make the animations....

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »

doodads sound nice tho...

think, instead of superimposing the radar dish over many sprites, what if it's just one sprite for the radar dish, coded onto the hull (like any other turret, engine, or launch bay) and set to rotate at a certain rate (or glow or pulse or cycle it's own sprite set or what-have-you's), there can be a several options for that.
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »

doodads sound nice tho...

think, instead of superimposing the radar dish over many sprites, what if it's just one sprite for the radar dish, coded onto the hull (like any other turret, engine, or launch bay) and set to rotate at a certain rate (or glow or pulse or cycle it's own sprite set or what-have-you's), there can be a several options for that.

There's already a trial radar doodad in existence :) But, being a purely cosmetic feature, other stuff takes precedence - so I'm not sure when/if I'll get to it.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

I guess it's one of those nice touches coming after release? ;)
Nice to know it's feasible.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

I guess it's one of those nice touches coming after release? ;)

I won't commit to even that much - maybe, maybe not :) There's almost literally an infinite number of tweaks that *could* be made. It's tempting to look at "after release" as a magical period when there's all sorts of free time to do non-critical things, but that's not the case. If anything, I expect it to be more hectic.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »

I't nice to know you have all planned up ahead Alex (or at least it seemed to me :D).

OT: I'd love this (well of course, I created the Scourge >.<).

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »

/waves tentacles at you
Jellyfish, jellyfish, jelly jelly jellyfish.
It'd be cool if the Scourge had moving tentacles.