Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hire an Exploration Team from Galatia  (Read 356 times)

Foxy

• Commander
  • About me: I make simple mods ^__^
    • View Profile
Hire an Exploration Team from Galatia
« on: June 07, 2023, 04:37:01 AM »

Personally, I find exploration and surveying very tedious to go sector by sector and just scan scan scan, fight a little bit, scan some more and.. you get the idea.

My Solution is this:

The player should be able to hire an Exploration Team from the Galatia Space Station. The mechanics of this would require you to pay a substantial sum of credits based on how many Sectors you wish them to survey. The dangers of that sectors should also come into play. For example, if the Exploration Team find an alert beacon, they shall avoid the said system, but get you preliminary data, such as number of planets in that sector.

An extra way of making this balanced is that the Exploration team will keep 75% of the general loot they find out there and only give you a measly 25%. The survey data will not be given to the player in this case as the Team will keep it as valuable information for the Galatia Institute. All the rare artifacts, blueprints, etc will have a 100% return rate to the player. All the loot will be placed in the Galatia System Storage, which comes with the monthly default fee when it is occupied. This way, if the player decides to explore by himself, the player will profit better in the long run.

The idea is that there won't be an actual fleet flying tot the system, it will all be text based and with a timer based on the theoretical distance it takes to go there and back. The more sectors you wish the Team to explore, the longer it takes and the more credits you have to pay up front to finance the expedition.

Also, to avoid any player exploit (of just going to a sector the team was designated, and try to acquire duplicated rare loot this way) the player won't be able to enter the queued sectors. After the task is complete, the sector will display all the planets as surveilled and all the probes, stations, small AI ships, etc, will be despawned.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 04:51:59 AM by Foxy »

Iwe Eri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Hire an Exploration Team from Galatia
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 08:00:32 AM »

I like this idea, late game, its still fun to explore but tedious since their are usually stragglers in some far off corners. the price you pay is fair and i almost wasn't convinced until you said rare items are kept for the player

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 09:41:05 AM »

I like this idea, late game, its still fun to explore but tedious since their are usually stragglers in some far off corners. the price you pay is fair and i almost wasn't convinced until you said rare items are kept for the player
There are some things to consider, such as quest missions and pirate/ludic bases, but this is just the base idea, I am more than sure that Alex and his gang could find a way to make it work. This option is more for people who replayed the game multiple times and are just tired of doing a monotonous task.

landryraccoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 06:54:11 PM »

I feel like this is going in the wrong direction. This suggestion is just off.

Like, the reward for something in the game shouldn't be less gameplay. If exploration isn't exciting, the problem is that **exploration isn't exciting**.

If you want to auto survey, you might as well just take exploration out of the game entirely. Isn't the right approach to, you know, just make exploration more fun?

The game is all about space combat. How about more combats out in distant sectors? More interesting encounters in distant systems, and better loot as a reward?

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 05:45:25 AM »

I feel like this is going in the wrong direction. This suggestion is just off.

Like, the reward for something in the game shouldn't be less gameplay. If exploration isn't exciting, the problem is that **exploration isn't exciting**.

If you want to auto survey, you might as well just take exploration out of the game entirely. Isn't the right approach to, you know, just make exploration more fun?

The game is all about space combat. How about more combats out in distant sectors? More interesting encounters in distant systems, and better loot as a reward?
That might come at a later point, regarding the suggestions you have made. And yes, explorations is super dull at the moment as I do not find it exciting to go to multiple planets and spam press the G key 99% of the time. But to counter your idea that this is making the game shorter, look at the arms dealers that you can find in bars randomly that sell you every ship and blueprint at a higher price. Basically the player shortcuts the game by a lot this way as well. The idea is that you are not forced to use these vendors, the same as you are not forced to use the Exploration team if you want to do it by yourself. This just adds an alternative that players that have plaid the game multiple times, avoid going through all the exploration grinding just to find a place to set up colonies. After that, if you wish to go and explore certain places in search for special treasures or more extreme fights, that is an entirely different thing.

Also, the Exploration team does not do the fighting in the sector for you, so it would not eliminate bounties or Remnants, just collect the items and scan the planets (in sectors that are not dangerous to them). Also, you can split exploration into sending them into scanning the peaceful sectors for you (they determine which ones are those when they get there) while you could go and clean up the ones that they avoided. Exploration for the player is not being taken out of the game this way, it just makes it less of a click fest and more about you taking risks out there.

And again, sending the Team to do the heavy work for you means that you are missing out on more profits and finding potential high level officers in pods. This way it balances how much you wish to use the exploration team, plus it costs you credits to keep the exploring going, plus it will take a certain amount of time for the team to complete its task. So there is a balance in order to not abuse it, but it does make the activity feel more passive as well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 05:51:40 AM by Foxy »