Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lots of CTDs after patch  (Read 909 times)

Freefall357

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Lots of CTDs after patch
« on: May 26, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »

Running on an older system (still win8.1 dill it dies!) and after the update I get a hard CTD seemingly randomly...I think I see it more around jumps from HS into systems or the other way around, but I just had one as I flew to a planet to scan.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of CTDs after patch
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 08:43:20 PM »

Hmm - you're not playing a save started on 0.95.1a, are you? 0.96a is not save-compatible with older saves, and the symptoms would be much like what you describe.

Freefall357

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 06:41:00 AM »

I.....I am not sure actually.

I had ONE character that I got very far and built up. I THINK after the .96a I made three more (Hightech explorer, Midrange Fleet Commander, Lowtech Pirate)...they all crash.
Gonna be super sad to start over, but I guess I can make a whole new character and main them for a while to see if that fixes it (your confidence makes me think I might be misremembering when I made these new ones).

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try to get back here if it DOES work so people know.

EDIT: This is the problem. I started all my characters over again and have not had a crash since this post.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 09:51:15 AM by Freefall357 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 07:37:56 AM »

Hmm. If it still crashes - are there any errors in the log/an error message popup, or does it just CTD with no message? If it's the latter, then you should have some files named hs_err_pidXXXX.log in the game folder, or under starsector-core/, where XXXX is a bunch of numbers; one file for each crash.

The contents of those might tell us what the issue is; *usually* if it's a case like this, it's a crash in the graphics driver (and a driver update can resolve it), though not always.

KawaiDesu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 12:29:43 PM »

Hi!
I'm not sure that this is exactly same problem, but I'm getting many Null Pointer Exceptions (with crash to desktop). I'm a bit tired of crashes 1 minute after loading save, so here am I.
Game Version: 0.96a-RC10
I think I am using save from 95.1a-RC6, but it was at very early stage and most of the time game is working OK, but it feels like some events causing crashes and they are repeated after loading save.

Last log lines
Code
16291 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 38
16291 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 39 - last
21075 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Ilm to Yesod
23127 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.SurveyPlanetMissionIntel  - Created SurveyPlanetMissionIntel: Isimud, faction: Sindrian Diktat
25977 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Domain-era Probe, faction: pirates
28846 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Qaras to Kanta's Den
31460 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Domain-era Probe, faction: Tri-Tachyon
33819 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.SurveyPlanetMissionIntel  - Created SurveyPlanetMissionIntel: Zumu, faction: independent
35550 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Domain-era Probe, faction: Hegemony
37341 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Derelict Ship, faction: Persean League
38503 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Lost Astropolis to Olinadu
40881 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.SurveyPlanetMissionIntel  - Created SurveyPlanetMissionIntel: Issorile, faction: Persean League
43763 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Domain-era Probe, faction: independent
45682 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Cibola to Raesvelg
45867 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.SurveyPlanetMissionIntel  - Created SurveyPlanetMissionIntel: Alkonomia, faction: pirates
47223 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Equipment Cache, faction: Sindrian Diktat
52052 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Nomios to Salamanca
52090 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.bases.PirateBaseIntel.updateStationIfNeeded(PirateBaseIntel.java:486)
        at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.bases.PirateBaseIntel.checkForTierChange(PirateBaseIntel.java:610)
        at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.bases.PirateBaseIntel.advanceImpl(PirateBaseIntel.java:573)
        at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.BaseIntelPlugin.advance(BaseIntelPlugin.java:78)
        at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.BaseEventManager.advance(BaseEventManager.java:114)
        at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.bases.PirateBaseManager.advance(PirateBaseManager.java:59)
        at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
        at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
        at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
        at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
        at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
        at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
        at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 12:41:37 PM »

Thanks for the log! This is definitely caused by the save being incompatible, from an older version of the game.

KawaiDesu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 01:30:13 PM »

Is there any way to fix it? Maybe directly edit part of the save file which causing errors?

Idea of starting from the ground makes me kinda sad.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 01:32:44 PM »

Ah, apologies! This is the case with every major version change; in this case the saves unfortunately load, which creates the false impression that it ought to work. However, the ways in which it would not work are *many*; it's not feasible to fix this with savefile editing. For one, older saves will be missing a lot of the content that's required to make the new story missions work, but there are many, many other problems with using older saves.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 02:04:04 PM »

Is there any way to fix it? Maybe directly edit part of the save file which causing errors?

Play a new save on the latest version and grab the Console Commands mod:  https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4106.0
Then give yourself any ships/weapons/money you feel you should have

KawaiDesu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 02:41:51 PM »

Thanks for the information everyone!

Play a new save on the latest version and grab the Console Commands mod:  https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4106.0
Then give yourself any ships/weapons/money you feel you should have

Also thanks - it's a nice option