Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The lore stuff on the website  (Read 1683 times)

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
The lore stuff on the website
« on: May 25, 2023, 01:45:31 AM »

on the fractalsoftworks.com website there's this paragraph:

Spoiler
The World of Starsector

The interstellar Gate System which binds the space of the Human Domain in a network of trade, industry, and empire collapses in an instant that shatters known civilization forever. Countless fleets are scattered and lost. The comforts of the high age of civilization are but a memory. Entire worlds cut off from the Gate network starve, burn, and tear themselves apart. Now, humanity is scattered in pockets throughout the galaxy, trying to recover from the great Collapse.
[close]

is this still considered as accurate lore since afaik in the game you never find information about what's actually going on outside of the sector? Otherwise this section should probably be rewritten to be more vague

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The lore stuff on the website
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 05:03:09 AM »

If there is a gate network that connects galaxies together and suddenly they just went down in your galaxy one can assume that the entire network is down leading to what the text says. It might not be actually true but it is a safe assumption that anyone here on the sector would make.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 05:29:10 AM »

Wow, that's super old. Over 10 years! I've touched it up a bit.

(FWIW I only really care to consider what's in the presently released version of the game as "canon", if that matters.)

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 07:23:23 AM »

Does this mean that at some point the lore blog will be updated too?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 08:10:24 AM »

Does this mean that at some point the lore blog will be updated too?

No. It was a blog post made at the date it was written about the setting as it existed in-development at that point in time. I feel like it wouldn't be appropriate to change it (unless there's some egregious error of fact or legality). The features page on the website, on the other hand, is meant to reflect the current state of the game so updating it to reflect that is appropriate, to my mind.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 08:26:17 AM »

The purpose of a (b)log is to keep track of changes, isn't it?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »

-- If the question is, "are you going to do a new blog post someday about lore", the answer is "maybe?".

(But I feel way less interested in doing big setting outlines like that nowadays. I feel like it might close off the world rather than open it up; I should channel my creative energy into the game itself, not supplementary material that doesn't contribute to the experience of the game, the work itself, ya know?)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 09:18:54 AM »

(But I feel way less interested in doing big setting outlines like that nowadays. I feel like it might close off the world rather than open it up; I should channel my creative energy into the game itself, not supplementary material that doesn't contribute to the experience of the game, the work itself, ya know?)
Where's all the random people in bars dumping lore on me in drunken rants? You know it's essential to the proper player experience!

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 10:02:01 AM »

Where's all the random people in bars dumping lore on me in drunken rants? You know it's essential to the proper player experience!

100%!!!

Drone_Fragger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 01:05:09 PM »

also given the number of planets you find which are way out in the sticks, away from the "core worlds" which have ruins on and a decivilized subpopulation, I would say that lore is entirely accurately. Some systems really did just collapse with the gates.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 10:28:54 PM »

also given the number of planets you find which are way out in the sticks, away from the "core worlds" which have ruins on and a decivilized subpopulation, I would say that lore is entirely accurately. Some systems really did just collapse with the gates.

yes but the old description implied that the entire gate network everywhere collapsed and that the entire Domain was gone, whereas ingame we got close to no clue how everything outside the sector is. We can speculate but we don't actually have actual info.

the new description does that somewhat too but it's more vague and doesn't have that last sentance that mentioned humanity

(FWIW I only really care to consider what's in the presently released version of the game as "canon", if that matters.)

now does this mean in the game as in stuff that you can access by playing or just the game files ;)

after all, iirc this question and it's answer has some implications about the state of coinage or if credits are just digital...

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »

I was always under the impression that everything you find outside of core worlds is gone because of the Collapse.

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2023, 01:34:23 PM »

At least in the Persean Sector, what you find outside of the Core is a result of the Collapse proper, the First AI War, and various Pirate Lord rampages (Warlords Leonis and Loke, most notably), with a smattering of general chaos sprinkled in. It was caused by many things, and from seed to seed what caused what will vary as the systems tell their own stories.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 08:52:24 AM »

on the fractalsoftworks.com website there's this paragraph:

Spoiler
The World of Starsector

The interstellar Gate System which binds the space of the Human Domain in a network of trade, industry, and empire collapses in an instant that shatters known civilization forever. Countless fleets are scattered and lost. The comforts of the high age of civilization are but a memory. Entire worlds cut off from the Gate network starve, burn, and tear themselves apart. Now, humanity is scattered in pockets throughout the galaxy, trying to recover from the great Collapse.
[close]

is this still considered as accurate lore since afaik in the game you never find information about what's actually going on outside of the sector? Otherwise this section should probably be rewritten to be more vague

Given all the dead fleets and worlds with functioning stellar shades I see, this all seems pretty accurate.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 10:59:47 AM »

The sprites there are outdated as hell too dear god

EDIT: upon further inspection they are in fact up to date. Weird how it looks out of the game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 11:02:35 AM by Clockwork Owl »
Pages: [1] 2