Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Performance issue  (Read 1918 times)

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
Performance issue
« on: May 15, 2023, 09:34:59 PM »

I have a slightly above decent laptop running SS, which should at least maintain a steady 60 fps gaming. However the game runs between 40 to 50 in campaign map while all monitoring say the ram/cpu/gpu usage is nowhere near even half.
I must have done something wrong, but could really use some help. Thanks a lot for this amazing dev team and forum!
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Performance issue
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:07:32 AM »

AMD GPU?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 05:53:28 AM »

Alex will be the one to have something useful to say here, but I have to ask first: Are you using any mods?

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 07:48:45 AM »

AMD GPU?
AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU
EDIT: Ryzen 9 5900HS and RTX3050 Ti, to be specific.
I know the game has some issue with AMD GPUs, not sure if CPUs are a concern as well.

Alex will be the one to have something useful to say here, but I have to ask first: Are you using any mods?
Almost no mod, libs only. Tried disabling all of them, not really any significant difference.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 08:14:42 AM »

Actually, it's not uncommon for a game to lag without remotely taxing out system resources.  This is common in games that are CPU limited.  GPUs are designed to be massively parallel, CPUs are not.  It's very possible for the main loop of the game to be fully taxing the thread / core it's running on, while most of the CPU is idle, even in a multi-threaded game.

See if you can turn on an advanced performance monitoring mode that breaks things down by individual threads / cores.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 08:26:14 AM »

It's probably the AMD graphics drivers, though I think an update last year resolved the performance issue for some/maybe-hopefully most? people.

Actually, it's not uncommon for a game to lag without remotely taxing out system resources.  This is common in games that are CPU limited.  GPUs are designed to be massively parallel, CPUs are not.  It's very possible for the main loop of the game to be fully taxing the thread / core it's running on, while most of the CPU is idle, even in a multi-threaded game.

See if you can turn on an advanced performance monitoring mode that breaks things down by individual threads / cores.

While possible, this is very unlikely, and if the CPU use was the bottleneck I'd suspect the drivers of doing the rendering in software before I'd suspect the game of maxing out, unless we're talking about something truly ancient. And even on a low-end processor, you'd still show some idle CPU time (*not* the same as "Idle" in-game near the FPS) due to the time spent rendering.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »

AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU

Check out this thread on ensuring you're using your dedicated graphics card:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23044.0

If you're running with mods, consider trying Java8 (google search Starsector Java 8 for instructions)

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »

First of all, thank you guys so much! I've given your mentions trial, but didn't work out well.
I tried to set the game to use my dedicated GPU, but it seems that the game is using BOTH of my GPUs according to monitoring. Not a clue what is happening here.
CPU monitoring doesn't provide much information, all cores seem to peak their usage randomly, while none is obviously the limiting factor.
I've also tried to update my Java, not really any changes.

2 new leads I have notice, 1st is that the performance issue seems to be the worst in hyperspace. 2nd is that for some reason, my game lag the least when assigned VRM is about 3GB, increasing or decreasing it both cause more lag. Despite that I have 4+0.5GB GPU ram and 15.4GB total ram.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »

You found and followed the Java8 Instructions?
https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/rvrn1c/comment/hr77htq/

That's the only fix I see mentioned for running into hyperspace slowness.

Consider trying this method of forcing your graphics card:
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/minecraft-not-using-gpu-how-to-force-minecraft-to-use-it/
Keep in min Starsector.exe isn't the actual game when it's in memory, that would be java.exe located in: Starsector\jre\bin

Also check on your windows "power plan", try forcing your whole computer to performance all the time to see if that helps.  I've had that cause serious issues for me in the past.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 05:19:53 PM »

Seconding the notion that what's holding your FPS back is likely a GPU conflict. Your 3050 Ti should be able to provide stable, high FPS no sweat. Even the AMD onboard should be able to, should you want to go that route.

The AMD graphics driver issues relate more to Radeon cards.

lustfull

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 03:10:11 PM »

how do i deactivate temporal shell effect and other ship system that cause lag  ? ( like "Targeting Feed Slowdown Fix v1.1").
i still want the systems to be effective but mayby deactivate the glow if this is the cause of my lags of course. don't know how much this might be true for temporal shell but for entropie amplifier i don't see  other factor.

(AMD LAPTOPUSER)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:21:43 PM by lustfull »