Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 5 Gigacannon 4 Kinetic Blaster Radiant  (Read 1914 times)

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
5 Gigacannon 4 Kinetic Blaster Radiant
« on: May 15, 2023, 05:34:09 AM »

Did you ever wonder if it might be a good build? I built it and I'll post it here if you've wondered about it and wanted to see how it would work out, so you don't have to grind for it.

(note this is still Rc8, I love my 3 Locust Pegasus fleet so much I prefer to just play the older version for now)

Taking out 3 Onslaughts under AI control
It works pretty well for this, which turns out to not be the case against most opponents.

[close]

Dying to Remnants under AI control

[close]

Unfortunately it turns out the Fearless AI seems to blend really poorly with the Gigacannon, resulting in a ship that will dive in, inflict some damage, then be unable to do anything for 9 seconds while taking fire, and losses against Ordos every time. In summary, this is a fun ship that can make weaker opponents explode in one salvo but cannot fight stronger opponents, just as you might expect. It might be acceptable under player control but otherwise the Gigacannon seems like a weaker missile with infinite ammo. I have yet to think of a good use for it. Maybe a playership Odyssey, or this under player control could do something?

I also attempted another version with 4x Sabot instead of Kinetic blasters. It did not work any better. I also took it out to fight Gilead station and it lost. So, that's the 5 Gigacannon Radiant.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 05:39:04 AM by CapnHector »
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Gigacannon 4 Kinetic Blaster Radiant
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 05:43:28 AM »

About who can use Gigacannon?  Maybe Ziggurat with Phase Anchor (that roughly halves reload times), but I do not think it would combine with other human weapons well, except maybe AMBs, provided Z can handle the huge flux load from everything firing at once.  Tachyon Lance and Heavy Needlers have similar reload times and work well together with Phase Anchor.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 07:13:04 AM »

I was recently thinking of 5 Autopulses and S-modded Expanded Magazines...

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 09:44:59 AM »

I've only had a few hours to play since the release (only capital I have is an executor), so I haven't really gotten to test many ships, but I have spent some time theory crafting since I got a giga cannon pretty early on.

I feel like there are very few ships that want to use the giga cannon. It's a low DPS efficient large energy, so IMO more of a 'support' weapon (providing very good armor cracking). There's very few ships that really want to spend a large energy slot on a more supportive role. I think the only real candidates are paragon and radiant, because they can quite easily spend their entire flux budget without using all their large slots. I think giga cannon will also pair well with a cryo blaster and auto pulse lasers.

I'm also a bit curious about using it on an odyssey. I think for the player, double plasma will still be king, but for the AI, it might be interesting. Maybe something like plasma + gigacannon + a few IR pulse lasers + kinetic missiles. I would be surprised if it was better than alternative though.

On radiant, my first thought would be 4 auto pulse and one gigacannon (or maybe 3 and 2), and then some mix of IR autolasers, gravitons and maybe a cryo blaster in the mediums. Could also get armor damage from missiles in the medium synergy slots, but I feel like not having to invest OP in missile hullmods would be helpful. If you are s-modding expanded mags, you could throw in mini-pulsers or ion-pulsers as well.

For paragon, I would want 2x autopulse, 2x giga cannon, 2x heavy needler, ion pulser and cryo blaster. I think that would be pretty decent. Paragon seems like the best candidate since it can use fortress shield while weapons are recharging.

I guess zigg is also a candidate, but I feel like DPS is better (plus I hardly use zigg because it doesn't feel fair/fun after the initial rush of murdering everything a few times).

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 10:48:07 AM »

Tried putting the GC on my Command Center Apogee and it turned out about as I expected. Very entertaining watching the pebble collide with an unfortunate enemy, but nowhere near reliable enough to be considered a serious weapon. At least it's strictly funnier than frying enemies to death with HIL at maximum distance.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 10:57:14 AM »

I don't think Odyssey wants a gigacannon. The issue is that it's simply not a reliable anti-armor. AI can (and will) shield flicker and take an overload to deny you the armor hit, and then you have a vulnerable target and a 10 second cooldown on the only weapon that can take advantage of it.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 10:58:27 AM »

I don't think Odyssey wants a gigacannon. The issue is that it's simply not a reliable anti-armor. AI can (and will) shield flicker and take an overload to deny you the armor hit, and then you have a vulnerable target and a 10 second cooldown on the only weapon that can take advantage of it.
You say that like anybody wants a giga cannon.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 11:01:57 AM »

It has good synergy with Ziggurat and Paragon.
Prometheus mk.II might want one as well.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 11:05:04 AM »

You say that like anybody wants a giga cannon.
What do you mean? Everybody wants the Gigacannon!
Spoiler
[close]

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »

I mean, a plasma cannon would be able to take advantage of an overloaded target I think. That's why I suggested mixed plasma + giga. I find that double plasma is usually too much Flux for the AI, so normally I go plasma + autopulse on AI ships, but giga cannon is actually as efficient as autopulse, so it's just an alternative to that loadout in my mind. If you have a squall and sabot pods, you will not be struggling with shields anyway, and a bit of extra DPS from ir pulse lasers can help smooth things over a well. I think it would work reasonably well, although I suspect the autopulse loadout would still be better. Still want to try it at least when I find an odyssey.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »

Meh. A single plasma cannon is already enough for just about anything, so if the concern is AI flux management, I would rather give them a paladin in the second slot. 200 DPS for a large slot and 25 OP is a bad deal if you mainly use it for general damage.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »

You have 5 gigacannons have you tried to put them on alternating fire?
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 12:06:02 AM »

You have 5 gigacannons have you tried to put them on alternating fire?

That doesn't change things.

But funnily enough I was able to make the LG(D)S Lobsterius Prime a somewhat viable combat ship by dropping everything but the Gigacannons and focusing on tankiness so it can survive the recharge time. Now it is a ship that is a completely immovable object that vaporizes lesser Remnant ships and can actually duel a Nova and we actually win Ordo fights without losses. Note it can tank 112500 energy damage just on flux capacity and that's ignoring 10% converted to soft flux since I don't know how it works - before or after other modifiers.

it would actually be much better if those were Tachyon Lances for the same OP

I will admit that my original build was pretty bad, I was hyper-focused on the S-mod bonuses since I thought I would get -20%+ -15%+ -5% for -40% incoming damage to shields, but instead it's just -35% damage to shields from hardened shields, field modulation and s-modded front shields. You should definitely leave it as omni and S-Mod in Hardened Shields and ITU instead.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 12:14:12 AM by CapnHector »
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

coldiceEVO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 08:22:52 AM »

1400 on small mount is fun for frigate to fast crusier. 2000 on large of capital is barely an alpha strike. If 2 bursts didnt finish the job it is not gonna work against dps, and redacted all have good shields. Lance not having hard flux sucks, but the better firing rate, range and piercing emp are nicer addition.