Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Built Heavy Industry, my fleets still have garbage ships.  (Read 1685 times)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Built Heavy Industry, my fleets still have garbage ships.
« on: May 12, 2023, 06:21:25 AM »

Hey,

Just built Heavy Industry on my best colony, the problem is... It didn't change anything regarding my fleet composition.

Prioritizing hulls doesn't change anything either.

What am I doing wrong here?

Doctrine & Blueprints:

Spoiler
[close]

And the colony the industry was built on:

Spoiler
[close]

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks.

Thecrippler

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Built Heavy Industry, my fleets still have garbage ships.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 06:37:21 AM »

Nanoforge  ;) and also upgrade yours Heavy Industry to Orbital Works
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:40:31 AM by Thecrippler »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 06:45:46 AM »

Oh ok thank you! Completely forgot you could actually upgrade that industry.

I need to find a Nanoforge yeah, exploring a bit but no luck so far.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 07:02:02 AM »

In some games, I had to raid and steal Pristine Nanoforge from Kazeron or Chicomoztoc.  Corrupted nanoforge is relatively common, but it cannot be found, every other Orbital Works that does not have pristine nanoforge will have corrupted nanoforge, including low defense worlds of New Maxios, Asher, and K.Starworks.

Do not forget that installing nanoforge on a habitable planet will add Pollution for +25% hazard (and +4 to Pather interest).

Stealing Pristine Nanoforge from the two big high defense worlds is a meatgrinder.  I blow up the battlestation, possibly reinforced by heavy patrols, and I still need few thousand marines supported by ground-pounder ships for the necessary attack strength after combat.  I suppose tac bombing the military is an option, but I do not want to wreck rep.  (Stealth does not hide bombings.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 07:05:30 AM by Megas »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 07:04:56 AM »

Do not forget that installing nanoforge on a habitable planet will add Pollution for +25% hazard (and +4 to Pather interest).

Damn, didn't know about that. I'll think carefully before installing one then. :D

What do you mean "cannot be found" though?

In my previous run I found a corrupted one in some ruins / station. (I forgot which it was).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 07:09:52 AM »

Damn, didn't know about that. I'll think carefully before installing one then. :D
Even with pollution, hazard may still be less than a 150% barren world.  From a cost perspective, polluting a habitable may be cheaper than using a non-habitable world.  (I do not like polluting habitable worlds, so I do not do that even if it is cheaper to do so, although I will exploit worlds that were polluted before I found them.)

Also note that after the forge has been installed long enough (about three months?), Pollution is permanent even after the forge is removed.  If removed early enough, pollution disappears.

Sometimes, I build extra orbital works without forges on habitable worlds for higher production limit.

What do you mean "cannot be found" though?

In my previous run I found a corrupted one in some ruins / station. (I forgot which it was).
Pristine nanoforges are rare.  If the player is unlucky, he may never find it in random salvage, and the only feasible option is to raid one of the big worlds for it, or perhaps visit the historian, but he rarely offers colony items unless player has all the blueprints.  Having all blueprints is unlikely unless he raids the core worlds for missing blueprints, which if he is doing that to size 7 worlds, he is also capable of stealing the forge too.

Same deal with synchrotron.  Rare enough (after the explosion of more colony items a few releases back) and required to meet demand for Military Base/HC that player may need to raid for it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 07:20:05 AM by Megas »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 07:21:52 AM »

Yeah I guess it's worth installing it even if it pollutes if that means much better ships!

Knowing my luck I probably won't find a pristine one. Although before I can raid the big guys, it'll take a lot of time. I still struggle against very large pirates fleets so... Yeah.

Took out a few REDACTED but they didn't have *that* ship with them so it wasn't that complicated.

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 09:47:16 AM »

Yeah I guess it's worth installing it even if it pollutes if that means much better ships!

Knowing my luck I probably won't find a pristine one. Although before I can raid the big guys, it'll take a lot of time. I still struggle against very large pirates fleets so... Yeah.

Took out a few REDACTED but they didn't have *that* ship with them so it wasn't that complicated.

I've been exploring for 9 some cycles - I'm not nearly as powerful as you are (can't beat REDACTED, raiding a major faction is a funny joke) but I've dug out a lot of stations and ruins.  Results have been:

5x corrupted nanoforge
2x catalytic core
2x fullerene spool
2x cryoarithmetic engine
2x plasma dynamo
1x orbital fusion lamp
1x autonomous mantle bore
1x fusion lamp

I'm using one corrupted forge and a spool.  More seems to be a very bad idea - disappointing!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 09:48:08 AM »

Not only better ships, but also to meet the high supply demand of your hungry Military Base and other structures yourself without relying on imports.  +3 production of supplies is a big deal.

+1 from corrupted forge is enough with IP and/or colony improvement, but getting +3 from pristine is ideal.

Also, +3 means higher production limit for building stuff in a month.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:50:37 AM by Megas »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »

I've been exploring for 9 some cycles - I'm not nearly as powerful as you are (can't beat REDACTED, raiding a major faction is a funny joke) but I've dug out a lot of stations and ruins.  Results have been:

5x corrupted nanoforge
2x catalytic core
2x fullerene spool
2x cryoarithmetic engine
2x plasma dynamo
1x orbital fusion lamp
1x fusion lamp

I'm using one corrupted forge and a spool.  More seems to be a very bad idea - disappointing!

Well you have much more stuff than me!

You're set to have a nice production with all that. :D

I still need to explore more. Mostly what I'm doing right now is, I explore systems I reach through bounties, or through the "blueprint location" NPC givers, where you spend a story point for some juicy blueprint.

Edit: I also explored around my two colonies. But yeah, mostly what I did was "shop around" for ships, weapons, etc... That's my favourite part of the game I think lol.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:53:56 AM by Euphytose »

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 11:33:21 AM »

5x corrupted nanoforge
2x catalytic core
2x fullerene spool
2x cryoarithmetic engine
2x plasma dynamo
1x orbital fusion lamp
1x fusion lamp

Well you have much more stuff than me!

You're set to have a nice production with all that. :D

I still need to explore more. Mostly what I'm doing right now is, I explore systems I reach through bounties, or through the "blueprint location" NPC givers, where you spend a story point for some juicy blueprint.

Edit: I also explored around my two colonies. But yeah, mostly what I did was "shop around" for ships, weapons, etc... That's my favourite part of the game I think lol.

That is a very fun part!  I've got a huge stock of weapons and some hulls I want to use "some day" stashed at the Asharu terraforming station as god intended... some day when I have enough money for supplies and fuel I'll break some of them out!

Sadly I don't dare use any of the items apart from a fullerene spool and one forge because of colony aggression so all the exploring has been a bit moot.  It'd sure be nice to turn up a pristine forge though... the hunt continues!

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 05:19:40 PM »

I've noticed that you don't have any ship hull prioritized. It is quite important to prioritize one or two ships each role in a fleet (personally, including logistics ), otherwise your colony will believe trash hulls as good as professional hulls and launch an abomination of good and trash mixed fleet.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 09:07:30 PM »

I tried prioritizing but it didn't change anything.

I'll see when Orbital Works finishes building.

Edit: Well well well, aren't we lucky!

Spoiler
[close]

Edit 2: Nope. Orbital Works is done. Prioritizing still doesn't do anything. My fleets are just made of garbage ships. Hopefully the Nanoforge will change that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:32:04 PM by Euphytose »

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 09:46:12 PM »

The last thing you might need to do is raise the ship quality in the fleet doctrine settings. Iirc it makes sense to raise it only so that the resulting quality multiplier is above 0.8 to have next to no damaged ships in your fleet.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 10:09:19 PM »

I just installed the Nanoforge. Now my ships have next to no d-mods, but still, even when prioritizing, I see no Onslaughts or Astrals. Just junk ships.
Pages: [1] 2