Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you like traveling long distances in the hyperspace? how do you travel?

Yes I love it, I slow at every storm or I take detours around them. I use slipstreams to go where I need.
Yes It's relaxing, I take my time and play as it's supposed to be played
Both, sometimes I feel like chilling, sometimes I just want to move
No I hate it, I just sustain burn and beeline my destination riding every storm on the way even if half my fleet gets destroyed in the process.
No, I set my course and go to the toilet or alt tab, to me it's less exciting than a loading screen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you like traveling in the hyperspace?  (Read 2525 times)

PsychoThruster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like traveling in the hyperspace?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 07:06:25 PM »

My issue with it is that it just serves as a method to tax player resources and as such is far too prevalent. It's both annoying and mundane. It's not an interesting phenomenon or puzzle to solve, it's an overworld system where 80% of the terrain imposes movement penalties or increased resource consumption. I could see it making sense if the game was running a 4x style sim and factions fought for control over slipstreams or somesuch, but that's not the case. I don't despise it, I just increase the time multiplier to 5 and enjoy the rest of the game.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 09:13:49 PM »

Because I find these complaints utterly baffling, let me say my piece here.

"Traveling through Hyperspace does nothing and only wastes player's time" the concept of money in the game also does nothing but waste the player's time. Wouldn't it be great if all ships and weapons were free so you could do whatever you want from the start? No, that would be absolutely terrible. Next!

"Hyperspace storms are annoying/boring" I find this one particularly funny because the storms is what makes traveling through hyperspace actually interesting. If storms didn't exist all you would do is weigh down the shift key and leave the PC. But because the storms do exist you have to constantly adjust your route to avoid as many of them as possible. It's really no different than trying to avoid deep hyperspace because it slows you down. The storms give you something to do and choices to make even when you're technically not doing anything, which is actually a pretty clever piece of game design. And that's not even getting into the ways you can use the storms to your advantage.

"There's a slipstream in my way" Emergency burn through it. I honestly don't even know what else I should say here, it's such a non-issue that I can only call it petulence. It's like complaining that when you want to go across a star system there's a star in the middle and you have to go around it. (Now imagine people starting threads how stars ruin travel and you should be able to fly right through them)

"Slipstreams literally never go my way ever" since this complaint is, let's say mathematically unlikely, and on top of that slipstreams flow in accordance with time of the year and are therefore predictable, I think the real issue here is less of "They never go my way" and more of "I expect them to always go my way" which I can only call entitlement.

Pablovansnogger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 09:19:33 PM »

It would be a lot more interesting if you could find or run into more things. There’s really only 3 things that spice it out, random enemy fleets, derilect ships, and sensor ghosts.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 04:50:47 AM »

Because I find these complaints utterly baffling, let me say my piece here.

"Traveling through Hyperspace does nothing and only wastes player's time" the concept of money in the game also does nothing but waste the player's time. Wouldn't it be great if all ships and weapons were free so you could do whatever you want from the start? No, that would be absolutely terrible. Next!

"Hyperspace storms are annoying/boring" I find this one particularly funny because the storms is what makes traveling through hyperspace actually interesting. If storms didn't exist all you would do is weigh down the shift key and leave the PC. But because the storms do exist you have to constantly adjust your route to avoid as many of them as possible. It's really no different than trying to avoid deep hyperspace because it slows you down. The storms give you something to do and choices to make even when you're technically not doing anything, which is actually a pretty clever piece of game design. And that's not even getting into the ways you can use the storms to your advantage.

"There's a slipstream in my way" Emergency burn through it. I honestly don't even know what else I should say here, it's such a non-issue that I can only call it petulence. It's like complaining that when you want to go across a star system there's a star in the middle and you have to go around it. (Now imagine people starting threads how stars ruin travel and you should be able to fly right through them)

"Slipstreams literally never go my way ever" since this complaint is, let's say mathematically unlikely, and on top of that slipstreams flow in accordance with time of the year and are therefore predictable, I think the real issue here is less of "They never go my way" and more of "I expect them to always go my way" which I can only call entitlement.

Do you realize that you argue with others' subjective experiences? No amount of logic or reasoning will change how they feel during interacting with this mechanic. The whole premise of me explaining that you SHOULD enjoy this or that bcs of this or that is just utterly ridiculous.

Btw for your first point: no money is meaningful, accumulating t gives you a measure of progression and you can trade it for things that make you happy bcs you feel that you achieved something. There is no such reward with hyperspace.

Second point: yes, a lot of people just want to go to the toilet while his fleet travels in hyperspace. Adding storms doesn't create excitement for them it makes traveling in hyperspace tedious. But this is their subjective experience and you have the opposite one. They can both be true for the respective players.

Third: kinda same as the second.

Fourth: it is actually very likely that they don't help. At least in my and as we can see, based on others' experiences.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2023, 04:57:13 AM »

The newest changes actually changed my view on slipstreams a lot. They're actually pretty interesting to use now if you take the few extra steps to locate them and work them into your viking exploration schedule. Last patch I would definitely view them more as an obstacle.

Stormlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2023, 09:24:47 AM »

I mostly just autopilot through everything. The problem as I see it is that the storms are too unpredictable. Sure, I could spend 5 seconds trying to move around a storm and get it to kick me in the right direction that saves me... the 5 seconds I just spent? But it's just as likely wherever I land after that kick is going to knock me off course with another storm... and another... and another... I've literally lost fleets because storms have eaten a dozen or more lightyears worth of fuel by knocking me off course in a way I couldn't possibly predict.

At this point I just regard the whole thing as a big RNG tax on my resources and time. The slipstreams are at least, situationally helpful... but to be honest I'm either going to a specific place and the slipstream is unlikely to be moving in the ~30 degree arc that would save time, or I'm just randomly exploring and I'd rather explore all the stars in an area than take a slipstream away and need to backtrack to the area in case that one system I skipped has the perfect terran world in it. The slipstreams feel like they'd make more sense if there were factions in deep space that were worth travelling to when it's convenient. I suppose missions fill that role? But I'm not going to take a mission just because a slipstream goes near it, there are too many other considerations for missions.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »

I mostly just autopilot through everything. The problem as I see it is that the storms are too unpredictable. Sure, I could spend 5 seconds trying to move around a storm and get it to kick me in the right direction that saves me... the 5 seconds I just spent? But it's just as likely wherever I land after that kick is going to knock me off course with another storm... and another... and another... I've literally lost fleets because storms have eaten a dozen or more lightyears worth of fuel by knocking me off course in a way I couldn't possibly predict.

At this point I just regard the whole thing as a big RNG tax on my resources and time. The slipstreams are at least, situationally helpful... but to be honest I'm either going to a specific place and the slipstream is unlikely to be moving in the ~30 degree arc that would save time, or I'm just randomly exploring and I'd rather explore all the stars in an area than take a slipstream away and need to backtrack to the area in case that one system I skipped has the perfect terran world in it. The slipstreams feel like they'd make more sense if there were factions in deep space that were worth travelling to when it's convenient. I suppose missions fill that role? But I'm not going to take a mission just because a slipstream goes near it, there are too many other considerations for missions.

Actually generating a few independent worlds to trade with and resupply from in outer space would make a LOT of sense. They would be hidden until discovered and they would be always generated next to the slipstreams. Now that's a good way to make slipstreams useful. An additional benefit would be that founding colonies close to these independents would give you better accessibility.

@Alex
Is it something that would make sense? Just to be a little more constructive here :)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »

I enjoy hyperspace, I only get annoyed by it by the point at which you've completed the main quest and it isn't such an issue anymore, so overall I still like it.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 01:34:31 PM »

Actually generating a few independent worlds to trade with and resupply from in outer space would make a LOT of sense. They would be hidden until discovered and they would be always generated next to the slipstreams. Now that's a good way to make slipstreams useful. An additional benefit would be that founding colonies close to these independents would give you better accessibility.

@Alex
Is it something that would make sense? Just to be a little more constructive here :)

I actually really like this idea...

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2023, 05:12:28 PM »

The results so far are just sooo perfectly Gaussian distributed...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2023, 06:24:29 PM »

i like riding the storms and think theyre neat
but slipstreams are a chore and i hate them with burning passion
This is my feeling as well. HOWEVER, I haven't played the new patch yet and thus I haven't experienced the new features and event buffs. Hell, I never even knew that sensor ghosts (supposedly) had a bar event tied to them until a few weeks ago!
The results so far are just sooo perfectly Gaussian distributed...
I answered yes and no because some things I like/ don't mind and other things I don't like at all
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 06:26:14 PM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2023, 07:01:38 PM »

First, I'll state that yes: I enjoy traveling in hyperspace, and frequently take advantage of slipstreams when at all possible.

Hyperspace and Slipstreams are easier than ever to travel. The vibe I get in this thread from the detractors is that they don't plan ahead at all when picking up missions or deciding where to go, and when.

It's true that there's nothing stopping you from going anywhere you want at any time, and it's annoying when there are storms and slipstreams in your way that are counterproductive to that. If you aren't even slightly frustrated when you're blown off course due to an unfortunate navigation error, well, you're more patient than I am. But, you can avoid trouble and save an absolute ton of fuel and supplies by taking advantage of Slipstreams and Hyperspace Topography.

• Check the date. Is the tide turning? You're going to be frustrated if you don't check the date.
  • Do you have missions or bounties in the general vicinity of a slipstream? Grab 'em.
  • Better yet, is the tide about to shift after you reach your destination? That's the timing sweet spot. Ride a Slipstream out, ride another one back. The holy grail of FTL.
  • Slipstreams often generate in similar places as the tide shifts. You'll often find an 'easterly' slipstream appearing in the same place as the last 'easterly' slipstream, for example. This can be a matter of consideration when building a colony early on, but that's not especially relevant.
  • Bring some Heavy Machinery, Transplutonics, Metals, and Volatiles. You can build Sensor Relays in most every system, then scan a wide radius for nearby Slipstreams. If you want to recycle a bit, you can break them down right after again. At the very least, you can scan for them with the Neutrino Detector.
  • This also gives you substantial credit toward Hyperspace Topography. If you do this regularly, like I did, you'll max Hyperspace Topography before you even reach mid-game. More speed in hyperspace? Save even more fuel and go even faster? Yes, please.
  • This goes back to even earlier versions, but there are natural corridors through hyperspace that don't appear on the map. Each seed is different, obviously, but if you follow star clusters instead of ignoring them, you will find the hidden corridors regularly. This also ties in neatly with my previous point: using sensor relays in star systems to scan for slipstreams.
  • Some clusters are simply isolated beyond deep hyperspace. It's unfortunate, and my assumption it's a limitation of the current implementation of procedural generation, as opposed to a design decision.
  • Colonies happen a little later on, and as of this post there's a bug with Megaport scan range, but spreading out your colonies is an excellent way of monitoring Slipstream activity, making it much easier to choose your route.
  • It sounds insane, but doing a half-lap around the Sector in Slipstreams - with the hyperspace topography fuel reduction - can actually save you fuel and generate money while heading back to the core, via the repeatable Topography item you receive. This is just my opinion, but it's also really fun to tear around at 40 burn, trying to take the curves like a race track. Sometimes you're even gifted with a randomly generated Pirate or Pather fleet between Slipstreams, earning you XP, Supplies, and Fuel for *free.
There certainly is strategy for navigating hyperspace. That is an objective fact. Just because you're not gathering information and planning ahead doesn't mean it's mindless activity. It can be very rewarding to chart an easier route through hyperspace, but you have to make an effort to learn the map you're playing on. It's not enough to simply know what's in star systems, and where your favorite places are, but the best way to reach the systems in hyperspace. That means not just determining your route, but when to go, as well.

Where, how, and when. That's the key.

I recognize that some people simply don't like the act of traveling through hyperspace, nuances aside. Well... nuts, I guess. Your opinion is completely reasonable, but I hope you change your mind. It's not as deep as combat of course, but if you put your mind to it there's more than enough there to get your gears turning on the regular.

---

* You may be eaten by deep space cannibals or crucified on an asteroid by religious zealots.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2023, 08:03:19 PM »

Do you realize that you argue with others' subjective experiences? No amount of logic or reasoning will change how they feel during interacting with this mechanic.

I'm not trying to change their mind.

I'm trying to show how their opinions don't matter.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2023, 08:36:41 PM »

I'm not trying to change their mind.

I'm trying to show how their opinions don't matter.

That's pretty rude; there's no call for that sort of thing.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2023, 01:08:18 AM »

My stance on this is:

I always pick the skill that increases the "slow" burn level, because storms are absolutely everywhere.

About slipstreams, I hate them. They always get in the way, I just wish you could disable them. They make me waste my fuel and supplies.

I like finding derelicts with locations in them though.

So, just "traveling", is really bad for me, but I like the rest of it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3