Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Colony Threat event  (Read 16901 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Threat event
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 06:59:59 PM »

Patrol HQ and upgrades should mention about lowering Hostile Activity.  I had no idea, and built Orbital Station, Waystation, and industry #1 (Heavy Industry) first before building Patrol HQ, and I almost built Ground Defenses instead.  (I only built Patrol HQ because I wanted patrols to control my comm relay while my fleet was away, despite higher upkeep than Ground Defenses.)  While waiting for my colony to build up, the activity kept creeping up with no apparent way to stop it (or accelerate it to get the severe penalties over with quickly).

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2023, 07:13:35 PM »

So am I just supposed watch while my only planet goes into -3 and -4 stab and dies at the end? Why is there zero counterplay to this system?

If only there was some way to increase Stability.

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2023, 07:14:02 PM »

So am I just supposed watch while my only planet goes into -3 and -4 stab and dies at the end? Why is there zero counterplay to this system?

Upgrade your Patrol Base to a High Command, it'll go from 5 to 15 decrease on that factor. In the meantime, take the items (Nanoforge, right?) and/or AI cores off of your industries and de-governor any Alpha Cores you have on your planet. After you've got the High Command in place then add the nanoforge back on. You'll still be down 2 stability and 20% access, but upgrade ground defenses to Heavy Batteries or upgrade your Orbital Station and you'll be fine. There's enough stability modifiers available to be running at -4 plus either free port or commerce and still have 10 stability.

Eventually. In the meantime chill out with things the Pathers don't like until you're powerful enough to not care.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2023, 07:15:06 PM »

I think it would be nice to have a cap on the increase. +150/month is insane. Also, imo the threat should be at least somewhat dependent on faction strength for eg total market size or largest market size. A larger faction should be less "helpless" against the same amount of pirates in the universe.

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2023, 07:24:35 PM »

This system is basically: your colonies have a built in -2 stab and -20% acc and you have to juggle around this. Oh and the AI cores you gathered with sweat and blood? Forget them unless you want a million +event progress.

I hate this system. Any mod can disable this whole event?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2023, 07:25:10 PM »

Do major factions harass the player as before via Hostile Activity, or does Hostile Activity apply only to pirates and Pathers?

With stability modifiers seemingly being more important, is Commerce useful enough to justify -3 stability, especially on top of Free Port?

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2023, 07:38:52 PM »

Do major factions harass the player as before via Hostile Activity, or does Hostile Activity apply only to pirates and Pathers?

With stability modifiers seemingly being more important, is Commerce useful enough to justify -3 stability, especially on top of Free Port?

Yes, you will make more money that way especially when you plop an Alpha Core and an item onto it. It means accepting some D-mods on any fleets spawned there half the time, and you won't be making ~optimal credits~ part of the time, but it's still a lot of money if you invest.

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2023, 07:53:41 PM »

I mean, with Astyrrean's example, I can kind of understand what the system's doing; that's far more AI than even modern Tritachyon tries to use on the sly, and you've basically built a hideous, towering monument to Moloch in the eyes of the Pathers. Hell, the Hege should be crawling all over your ass at that point.

That said, I agree it's not terribly intuitive that a big part of the early colonization loop in .96 is that you have to militarize hard and early if you do much more than dirt farming. Like, on actually reflecting on it, that makes sense, but the tooltips don't reinforce the idea and it's a bit counter to how the colony game ran in the past (which is to say, has run for nearly half a decade now). I think at the very least it needs to be made clear(er) to the player that you need to bring some guns if you plan on holding on to anything valuable.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 08:28:00 PM »

Looks like only Pirates and Pathers are hooked into this system.  I was getting AI inspections and faction attacks on industry like in 0.95.1a before, completely unrelated to the tracker.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2023, 08:35:07 PM »

I was attacked exclusively by Pirates so far despite running 9 Alpha and 9 Gamma cores.

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2023, 01:36:30 AM »

That said, I agree it's not terribly intuitive that a big part of the early colonization loop in .96 is that you have to militarize hard and early if you do much more than dirt farming. Like, on actually reflecting on it, that makes sense, but the tooltips don't reinforce the idea and it's a bit counter to how the colony game ran in the past (which is to say, has run for nearly half a decade now). I think at the very least it needs to be made clear(er) to the player that you need to bring some guns if you plan on holding on to anything valuable.

This is exactly my problem. I started my little colony with a few things. Could barely afford to start building it up and it just got worse and worse. I was happy I got my first Alpha Core so ofc I popped it into the colony but then that just made it worse. You cant babysit your colony forever either because that event just keeps creeping upwards and you wont do anything else in the game. I also REALLY dont want to play whacka mole by destroying small fleets for -2 -3 event progress which you cannot do with Pathers. I couldnt even imagine what would happen if you have more than 1 colony.
My only colony is also in a system which doesnt have any more valuable planets to colonize. Am I supposed to just grab a *** planet for the sake of building a Military HQ? I dont wanna do that.

Is this moddable? I had a very quick mod idea on my mind to disable this whole shenanigan by giving the Capitol Building (Population Center?) an e.g. -9999 Colony Threat event progress value. Would this be possible?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 01:41:44 AM by KopiG »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2023, 03:02:46 AM »

I have to admit I'm really not a fan of this new thing.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 04:17:35 AM »

To begin, this system is infinitely more times interesting than the old one. But it somehow got even more tedious.

My size 3 colony with only farming, zero AI cores, giving me barely 10k per month is somehow getting 8 points per months. I built the Patrol HQ but any decent mathematician will know this still isn't enough. Then a base popped up, I destroyed it, along with a couple of fleets, points barely moved. Mind you, all this time I'm having a debuff on my colony simply for existing. Eventually I went to Kanta and gave her a colony item to give me protection (I don't even know if this is permanent or not).

Anyways I'm super glad it's much more interactable now, that's one of the areas of the game I wish were even more fleshed out (interacting with random fleets, or talking it out when a friendly faction is trying to send out an expedition). The system is fine, the penalties and general numbers just need to be adjusted. When I kill a dozen fleets, I want them scared and leaving me alone, not merely knocking down a few points out of a few hundred. I think the players are annoyed with the constant colony debuffs that you can't even remove like you used to. This evolved from whack a mole, to whack an immortal mole.

It sucks losing money for no apparent reason.
Please don't take me too seriously.

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2023, 04:43:36 AM »

To begin, this system is infinitely more times interesting than the old one. But it somehow got even more tedious.

Anyways I'm super glad it's much more interactable now, that's one of the areas of the game I wish were even more fleshed out (interacting with random fleets, or talking it out when a friendly faction is trying to send out an expedition). The system is fine, the penalties and general numbers just need to be adjusted. When I kill a dozen fleets, I want them scared and leaving me alone, not merely knocking down a few points out of a few hundred. I think the players are annoyed with the constant colony debuffs that you can't even remove like you used to. This evolved from whack a mole, to whack an immortal mole.

It sucks losing money for no apparent reason.
These are exactly my problems what you described much better than I did. When I build a new colony. I want to forget about it for a while and not be bothered with it. I felt like after building my colony I suddenly had a baby. I dont want that. I want to go bounty hunting, questing. Havent even had the time yet to start the main story quest chain due to this.

Also the Luddic Path part of the Colony Threat event is is just bad. Why am I getting Colony event threat increase from them when I knocked out their base? That makes no sense. Their base is dead, period they have no power at my place. The description even sais this that due to their base being disrupted they arent doing anything yet the event creeps up with like +25 points like there is no tomorrow. This is not fun.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2023, 04:56:38 AM »

Looks like only Pirates and Pathers are hooked into this system.  I was getting AI inspections and faction attacks on industry like in 0.95.1a before, completely unrelated to the tracker.
So it seems player still needs to stack colonies with Military Bases as before just to keep expeditions off his back without intervention from the player's fleet.  All this hostile activity does is change how pirates and pathers works.

In previous releases, colony defense was all about stopping expeditions from major factions, preferably without any intervention from the player's fleet (because dropping everything the player is doing to travel long distance to intercept a raid is annoying).  Pirates were only a threat to the core worlds (which was the main babysitting headache after player colonies were secure), and Pathers were avoidable (never get +7 interest on colonies).  I put Military Bases on every colony just to have enough firepower to crush expeditions without my fleet's intervention.

I probably need to abandon my first colony because it only has one decent habitable planet (with gate and close to core, the other planet has Decivilized, and permanent -2 stability from Decivilized Subpop. is a dealbreaker).  No way single planet can defend itself from classic expeditions once factions send three endgame fleets per raid.  I was hoping the Hostile Activity encompassed everything aside from AI inspections.

Question:  Does gaining +7 interest per colony cause a cell to appear on a player colony or is cell generation handled by the new hostile activity?  I did not build the Mining>Refinery>Orbital Works with forge on one planet because that resulted in +7 interest, Pather Cell, and whack-a-mole Pathers in the last few releases.  Similarly, I never bothered to use the shunt tap because +8 was an automatic cell.

I definitely want at least a Nanoforge and Synchrotron to keep up with demand from Military Base, let alone High Command.  (I did not build High Command in recent releases because they demanded too much.)  Other items are nice, but I can live without them.

Also the Luddic Path part of the Colony Threat event is is just bad. Why am I getting Colony event threat increase from them when I knocked out their base? That makes no sense. Their base is dead, period they have no power at my place. The description even sais this that due to their base being disrupted they arent doing anything yet the event creeps up with like +25 points like there is no tomorrow. This is not fun.
This was my problem with pirates before my Patrol HQ went online, and there was no indication that building Patrol HQ would influence Hostile Activity.  Until HQ went online, I watched the bar creep up helplessly with no way to stop it (and talking to Kanta was a dead end with what I had, not that I want to).  It was only luck that I built Patrol HQ instead of Ground Defenses just because I wanted to secure my relay from pirates and stray Remnant frigates.  There is no info on how to gain defense points (or more hostile activity from enemies) to counter default hostile activity.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 05:07:51 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13