Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it worth it to build a colony just for ruins?  (Read 739 times)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Is it worth it to build a colony just for ruins?
« on: May 07, 2023, 01:32:23 AM »

Hey,

Found a planet with vast ruins in Penelope's Star, so it would be easy to babysit.

However the planet doesn't have anything other than those ruins.

Is it still worth it to build a colony here to explore the ruins?

Thanks.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it to build a colony just for ruins?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 02:17:14 AM »

Not really. You usually pick some planets with good resources, high accessibility and low hazard preferably close to the core world for colonies. Tech mining is more like a temporary thing to do if you have nothing else better. Farming or mining is better first pick industry for staying afloat so you don't go into the red. Tech mining is more like a second pick after those. You usually shut down your tech mines and build something else after they are exhausted.

Antichrist Hater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 03:29:09 AM »

I think it's a good idea to set up a tech mining operation on every vast ruins you come across and mark down any others others for later.
They have a nice chance to give special items on the first hit and less as the as they get explored. As I'm seeing it, there there to be used so why not use it?
You can have 4-6 techmining planets running simultaneously with yourself and your two administrators if you use AI cores to govern your main planet colonies, then just abandon the planet once the ruins are exhausted.
I wouldn't really use it on anything other than vast and extensive ruins beyond the first few months or so if you choose to do it on the scattered or widespread ruins.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 03:53:04 AM »

Alright thanks.

I used this: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=24528 to find a good colony site.

I picked an arid world with 100% hazard, no lower than this. I got a bit unlucky this time. Had a 75% hazard in my previous save but then the patch dropped.

And using this tool is already "cheating" enough for me. I could have recreated save after save to find a perfect Terran world but that's extreme cheating in my opinion.

Here is what my current colony looks like:

Spoiler
[close]

Got lucky for the farmlands with the solar array. Base is -1 but with this, it's actually profitable.

I will build a colony for the ruins then.

Thanks again.

Edit: Well, the ruins yielded some Tachyon Lances, but unfortunately, no Paragon blueprint.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:25:40 AM by Euphytose »