Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drover combat carrier vibes  (Read 1091 times)

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Drover combat carrier vibes
« on: April 12, 2023, 12:34:20 PM »

New in-dev patch notes woooo! I got a super short and simple suggestion here.

Drover:
Improved acceleration and deceleration (not top speed)
Added built-in hullmod: "B-Deck"
Activates when the fighter replacement rate reaches 50%
Relaunches fighters to bring all wings to full strength
Sets the replacement rate to 100%
Only happens once per combat
Changed ship system to Active Flare Launcher
Tagged is a "combat" carrier, meaning it will stay closer to the fight and engage
If the only ballistic weapons are point-defense, it will try to stay in missile range
So e.g. it should be possible to have a missile/fighter loadout and have it use both in tandem
Increased ordnance points to 80 (was: 70)
Reduced deployment/maintenance supply cost to 14 (was: 15)

Going with the idea of the Drover's changes with a combat tag; what do people think about changing the two central missile mounts into composite slots?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Drover combat carrier vibes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 12:46:18 PM »

New in-dev patch notes woooo! I got a super short and simple suggestion here.
Going with the idea of the Drover's changes with a combat tag; what do people think about changing the two central missile mounts into composite slots?
What, you mean you want your combat carriers to be able to mount point defense turrets and still have some slots available for guns?

I'd joke about that being blasphemy, but... no, actually this sounds like a good idea to me.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 12:49:06 PM »

Yeah, like you could use some sort of fighter meant to just stay around the ship eg Xyphos as your point defense, but if you wanted to run any other sort of fighter having the option to diversify the ship's mounts to compensate would be useful.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 03:23:00 PM »

What, you mean you want your combat carriers to be able to mount point defense turrets and still have some slots available for guns?
Don't forget, it's getting active flares. PD won't be necessary for every build.
TL;DR deez nuts

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 11:00:12 PM »

It's not a combat carrier, it's a "combat" carrier.

Is 30 Harpoons not enough for you people?

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 11:15:23 PM »

If a carrier has combat tag I want to be able to mess with more versatile fits for it, and I felt like changing 2 missile slots to 2 composite mounts would be nice. Drover being a destroyer  + having so many mounts probably means it wouldn’t to benefit too much from the new missile loader hullmod already, so why not expand on its build diversity a little if it has the AI to make use of it?

People who would like it to support a battle with extra point defense get to have that. People who want to make it have more anti-ship get to have that. People who want to treat it like a condor get to have that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 05:34:56 AM »

Drover already has the mounts and stats to be a functional battlecarrier.  Composites would be nice but are not necessary.

Don't forget, it's getting active flares. PD won't be necessary for every build.
PD is not necessary at all, and Active Flares will make it more so.  Apogee is proof of that.  Drover can get a fairly tough (for its size) 360 shield like Apogee.

The main reason why I do not use Drover today is that awful system that guts its replacement rate.  The AI cannot help itself from shooting itself in the foot by using its system at the earliest opportunity instead of not using at all (or only when rate is already 30% and cannot go lower).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 05:40:13 AM by Megas »

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 01:11:14 PM »

2 small ballistics for a destroyer battlecarrier is sad though ;'c 4 missiles is nice but, it costs 14 dp aaaa

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 05:59:30 AM »

2 small ballistics for a destroyer battlecarrier is sad though ;'c 4 missiles is nice but, it costs 14 dp aaaa
Two small mounts for assault guns and few more for missiles is frigate level firepower.  (Frigates have the flux stats to support about two midgrade or elite small guns worth.)  For a destroyer-sized dedicated carrier like Drover with good stats and enough OP to get what it needs, this is good.  Arm Drover like a Lasher or Centurion, put some fighters on it, and it should be able to handle up to a destroyer in a brawl.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 06:24:14 AM »

From Safety Overrides Builds thread:

Drover
Okay, anything with 4 missile slots is too easy to turn into an Onslaught killer, seems like I even forgot to use all of my OP and it didn't matter

[close]

(Okay, you probably want more sustain on your combat carrier)
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 06:32:41 AM »

Come on dude, you should know better than blowing Onslaughts in the sim.

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 06:56:12 AM »

The day I stop blowing up Onslaughts in the sim is the day I die Mr Master-blaster  :D

That said on reflection I agree with OP's suggestion, this ship is 14dp so it should compete with a CH Falcon. It certainly would not be OP.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge