Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Retreating Phase ships  (Read 482 times)

Lucky Bastard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Retreating Phase ships
« on: April 03, 2023, 02:03:25 AM »

I've noticed that during the retreating, phase ships tend to fly in phase for too long, which considerably slows them down. While I understand the mechanics of slowing down with high flux, an AI should know that when retreating, it should move as fast as possible. This issue is most noticeable in the case of the Doom and Zigurrat which are most impacted by this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Retreating Phase ships
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »

Hi - thank you for the report! Took a look, and it seems like - when it's not under threat - the Ziggurat uses phase cloak reasonably while retreating, it never builds up enough flux to be slower than if the cloak was off.

... come to think of it, that's actually unlikely in the first place - the speed will at worst be at 1/3rd of maximum, while the time acceleration is 3x. So this might be a marginal issue when the zero-flux boost is factored in (assuming the ship isn't firing), but if the ship is under enough threat that it had to stay phased that long and couldn't pull away in that time, it's very likely to have been in trouble anyway, hmm.

Lucky Bastard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 05:04:24 AM »

Also I think when phased there should be displayed speed relative to real space. Like you are going 100 in phase and you realy don't know how fast it is in real space. Whad do you think? And this probably pretty easy to make just multiply be 3x probably?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 10:46:20 AM »

Hmm, I don't think so - it might be confusing to see a really high number and wonder why it doesn't feel like you're going that fast. And it's not the trickiest calculation to do in your head if you need to :)

Lucky Bastard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 11:33:18 AM »

Ah I forgot I am using bullet time mode to disable slow-mo haha.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 11:52:03 AM »

Ahh, makes sense!