Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: superweapons arsenal: and further employment of non standard copyrights  (Read 3183 times)

Dae Blckheart

• Ensign
    • View Profile

having done some looking for the mod i have found out that it was removed due to disputes of authenticity of the work done within.
one thing of note is the copyright used for one of the mods that is said to be either kitbashed or derived. having looked i have personal feelings that matter not for this post. but one thing of note is the copyright system used to limit derivatives is not enforceable within the USA due to derivitive works being directly allowed should suitable alterations be made.

Note that, in some cases, a work may be in the public domain under the copyright laws of some jurisdictions but not others. For example, U.S. government works are in the public domain under the copyright law of the United States, but may be protected by copyright laws in other jurisdictions. A CC license applied to such a work would be effective (and the license restrictions enforceable) in jurisdictions where copyright protection exists, but would not be operative if U.S. copyright law is determined to be the applicable law.
this is a quote taken directly from here https://creativecommons.org/faq/#what-is-creative-commons-and-what-do-you-do

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 may not be entirely enforceable within modding dependent on location and could even create further issues down the road should more knowledgeable people wish to take advantage of gaps. now understanding the wish for your creations not to be directly ripped and used i can understand but clear and concise applications should thought out and how they may affect the modding community going further. This is especially something that should be taken into consideration when looking at third party hosting such as steam which are entirely US based should there be a want to include workshop functionality as steam primarily uses US based copyright laws.

Personally having had run ins with copyright issues in another modding community i have done a fair amount of research into copyright subjects but am by far no expert.
should others wish to correct my research please do, this is just a concern i have found myself with.

Dae Blckheart

• Ensign
    • View Profile

yes i understand my extremely new user status ive owned the game for a while now and just want to bring forth a discussion i feel needs to be had. i generally don't partake in forums as i hate the format but genuinely love this game and its something i think needs to be broached.

toopok4k3

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The quoted section is talking about works in the public domain. I don't understand how it is relevant to this case at all?

One thing seems clear, you are no expert.

Dal

• Commander
    • View Profile

The quote appears to state that works derived from public domain can not be copywrited in the united states. That is correct, but a mod is not public domain. The authors can use CC, MIT, GPL, or whatever else they wish for their own work. As long as they are not trying to apply a license change retroactively, they're well within their rights to demand derived work be taken down.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

Nope, it's enforceable. You just misread the license (but congrats on actually reading the license). I knew what I was doing when I selected that license (which is actually more permissive in a few dimensions than the default copyright granted on creation), and I'm within my rights to say 'please don't use my art'.

I have no interest in depriving anyone of the Superweapons mod, BTW - although I like posting on a forum where you can't just grab whatever you want from other mods. Mira Lendin did that with her behavior. I believe mllhild is planning on some kind of revival without scraped art, so you could send them a personal message and offer to help.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 07:10:32 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Dae Blckheart

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The quoted section is talking about works in the public domain. I don't understand how it is relevant to this case at all?

One thing seems clear, you are no expert.
As i did state i am no expert copyright law is an extremely complex situation and i simply grabbed a passaged from CCs FAQ i simply was noting that there is a specific carveout for

derivative works within the US copyright system.
The quote appears to state that works derived from public domain can not be copywrited in the united states. That is correct, but a mod is not public domain. The authors can use CC, MIT, GPL, or whatever else they wish for their own work. As long as they are not trying to apply a license change retroactively, they're well within their rights to demand derived work be taken down.
it does appear so but yeah copyright is a extremely complex situation and derivatives are presently allowed within the US copyright system as I've stated above i am absolutely not a expert. CC, MIT, GPL and others are not direct allowances withing the US copyright system as they are third party creations that are created to streamline the process for creators to decide how they wish their work to be viewed within whatever copyright system the creator is in (read location of national jurisdiction.).

Nope, it's enforceable. You just misread the license (but congrats on actually reading the license). I knew what I was doing when I selected that license (which is actually more permissive in a few dimensions than the default copyright granted on creation), and I'm within my rights to say 'please don't use my art'.

I have no interest in depriving anyone of the Superweapons mod, BTW - although I like posting on a forum where you can't just grab whatever you want from other mods. Mira Lendin did that with her behavior. I believe mllhild is planning on some kind of revival without scraped art, so you could send them a personal message and offer to help.
I am actually surprised you found this lol. I genuinely do not believe that copyright is entirely enforceable but given my experience is with people attempting to abuse CCA-BY-SA my knowledge base isn't the best here and I'm speaking from my experience and readings. my biggest issue is that derivative work is allowed within the US copyright system (im using the US as it holds the majority of English speaking population and is where my experience is located). I completely understand not wanting your work to be used without permission as it is something i also generally follow with my creations of which used CCA-BY-SA. and simply re-iterating again creative commons is a entity completely outside of the US patent office and US copyright office. I as a individual absolutely do respect your sovereignty as a individual and a mod maker I just feel like there is some issues that need to be discussed with Creative Commons Attribution system being used as gospel.

the more i think on it the more i realize that this is a complex topic probably meant for legal scholars lmoa but ive already typed all of this
again if ive made any mistakes (like having misread my first quoted stuff in my original post (thanks for pointing that out)I personaly still feel as though it somewhat applies tho please point it out

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

I will jump in to add, copyright law aside, I would consider using other people's art against their wishes and concealing that act to be both unethical and impolite to the point of insult. "Is it legal" is a necessary but not itself sufficient qualifier.

It's a simple thing to draw a sprite, find someone willing to draw one, or kitbash from work explicitly made available for doing so. That's what solves this.

captinjoehenry

• Commander
    • View Profile

Very understandable.  Out of curiosity has there been any movement on mllhild's remake?  As the super weapon mod is one of my favorite mods with all sorts of fun weapons.  It's a shame that the mod used assets they didn't have permission to use but I hope a remake is ready soon!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

I believe mllhild is planning on some kind of revival without scraped art, so you could send them a personal message and offer to help.
Very understandable.  Out of curiosity has there been any movement on mllhild's remake?  As the super weapon mod is one of my favorite mods with all sorts of fun weapons.  It's a shame that the mod used assets they didn't have permission to use but I hope a remake is ready soon!

I have no idea and I don't care; you can ask mllhild about that.

I'm not involved; I didn't want to be involved in the first place. Mira involved me by using my stuff as a free asset store, and I didn't appreciate that.

You do know how to send PM's, yeah? It's under 'My Messages> Send a message' up top there.

mllhild

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Since Im going the way of redrawing everything that isnt vanilla its taking me some time. Im also fiddling around with the weapons that felt rather underwhelming or annoying to use.
Easter is a nice four day holiday here in germany so I should have something to show after it.

Regarding the copyright issue:

Legality isnt really the relevant point here. The modding scene depends on a conjunction of visual arts, audio, writer, programmer working mainly for free on projects. If you *** them off they leave and the modding scene dies. So its in the interrest of the forum to maintain a semblence of order by applying the copyright more in a coloquial than a precise sense.

Enforcing copyright legally in the modding scene is practically impossible. You first would have to figure out who the person behind the account actually is and then serve them often an internatinal lawsuit going over different countries. Thats just not happening due to costs. Modders arent Disney afterall.
to be done some day... XD

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: superweapons arsenal: and further employment of non standard copyrights
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 02:04:34 PM »

What you've said is reasonable, in an ideal world, but you really don't want to get ban-hammered for arguing about it, which is what happens to people who won't respect others' rights.

This isn't a matter of philosophical discussion here, it's been policy forever... and for David to involve himself is a sign of peril, lol.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: superweapons arsenal: and further employment of non standard copyrights
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 04:00:11 PM »

What you've said is reasonable, in an ideal world, but you really don't want to get ban-hammered for arguing about it, which is what happens to people who won't respect others' rights.

This isn't a matter of philosophical discussion here, it's been policy forever... and for David to involve himself is a sign of peril, lol.

No need to belabor the point. (In fact, please don't!)

I think mllhild gets at what I was trying to say in a different way.

-- And I think that covers the issue. I'll go ahead and lock the thread.