Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starfarer Wiki  (Read 24395 times)

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Wiki
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »

So is the wiki I created obsolete now?

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »

unfortunately yes. Anything we posted on the wikia wiki would have to habe been compatible with the CC-BY-SA general public use liscense, which most of the starfarer stuff us not. It is owned by fractal softworks, and not public domain.

However, you can manage the new wiki, and I'll help transfer the stuff over later tonight.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »

Alright haha it's all for the best then.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »

So is the wiki I created obsolete now?

Look at it this way - you doing that made me make one :)

The stuff already done (list of ships, etc) ought to be easily transferable to the new wiki, right?

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »

As far as I know. If it's all possible could I still have some control over the new wiki?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

Hm. In other news, the new wiki is kind of slow. Not much I can do about it short of changing hosting/servers. Maybe wikia isn't so bad, after all. Thoughts?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »

I usually prefer wikia when looking for game wikis, there are a good few more ads, but they're not very intrusive.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

It doesn't seem any slower to me. I'd prefer one based on the dev's server:
  • No ads
  • No superfluous Wikia menus or meta ads
  • No reliance on a third party (anyone remember Geocities?)
  • No licencing problems
  • No ads

If a different server is required later on, the database can always be exported (as opposed to a painstaking copy/paste migration).

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:08 AM »

Ok, so I've been familiarising myself with the wiki, and have added some content in the process; it's all within the Weapons category to avoid any unnecessary duplication of effort:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Weapons

I haven't really edited wikis before, so I'd like to get some feedback before venturing any further. Are there any hardcore wiki nerds in here that can take a look at what I've done and see if I'm on the right track, particularly with regard to category hierarchy and other conventions?

And of course, I'd better wait and see which platform we're going with before going all-out...

By the way Alex, I don't think your webhost is on the ball; PHP 5 came out seven years ago.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »

Looks like a good start to me!

Hmm. You know, I'd love to see some meta-information in there - strategy and tactics, that type of thing. When I'm looking at a wiki for a game, those tend to be really interesting.

For things like weapon data, someone looking it up on a wiki is likely interested in comparisons - so it might make sense to arrange it in a table, or something of the sort. Here's how they did it in the M&B wiki...

By the way Alex, I don't think your webhost is on the ball; PHP 5 came out seven years ago.

In their defense, it just defaults to 4, and there was an easy way to switch it to 5 (that I missed).

It doesn't seem any slower to me. I'd prefer one based on the dev's server:

Wikia seems to load in under a second or so for me, the fractalsoftworks/wiki one takes 3-5. The other arguments against it are all good, though. It's just that the hosting situation isn't likely to improve in the immediate future. It almost certainly will at some point, though.

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »

For things like weapon data, someone looking it up on a wiki is likely interested in comparisons - so it might make sense to arrange it in a table, or something of the sort. Here's how they did it in the M&B wiki...

I agree, and this would be a good next step (Or perhaps it would have been better to do first? Again, I'm new at this).

One of the main strengths of wikis is the way in which they allow you to browse through subjects at your leisure; with this in mind, I want to lay the groundwork, so there's some sort of structure to build up from (It might also tell you something about me that when coding, I'm kind of OCD about things like indentation – convention must be followed, lest the world come crashing down. The problem here, of course, is that I'm making it up as I go along).

Wikia seems to load in under a second or so for me, the fractalsoftworks/wiki one takes 3-5.

Everything is slow for me, so a second or two doesn't make much difference. :P But yeah Wikia is a little bit faster, not counting the ads which keep loading after the content is downloaded.

It's just that the hosting situation isn't likely to improve in the immediate future. It almost certainly will at some point, though.

That's good enough for me, and there's no hurry. The game's still in alpha, after all. ;)

Erebos

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 03:10:43 AM »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »

Whoa, very nice!

I love that the columns in the table are sortable too, so useful.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 11:41:28 AM »

Btw, the wiki could use a graphic for the upper left corner.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »

Btw, the wiki could use a graphic for the upper left corner.

Oh, right.

An Apogee-class exploration cruiser has been commissioned by the Hegemony to perform logo duty until further notice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3