Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starfarer Wiki  (Read 24394 times)

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starfarer Wiki
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »

Hello all, first I would like to point out that I am in love with Starfarer and have high hopes for it's future. However as far as I can tell it does not have a wiki with information on all of the ships, weapons, missions, mods, etc that make up the content of this game. I have set up a wiki that can be openly edited by the community here. It is brand new and is currently lacking any content. I will be edited it but any help will be much appreciated. Here is the link.
http://starfarergame.wikia.com/wiki/Starfarer_Wiki

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Wiki
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »

Hi Ocho, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for taking the initiative and setting this up - I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »

do you think you could set up an IRC channel as well? maybe just a temporary one at first to see how many people are actually going to use it.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement Alex. @theShadow, I'll look into it but I'm pretty sure I want to make some amount of progress of this before I start a new project.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »

ok. sorry, thought you were already don with the wiki.

Anyway, setting up an IRC isn't difficult. Here is a guide which should cover everything. I would do it myself, but it would be better if it was started and maintained by a more active member of the community.

EDIT: actually, if you want to go here and join #starfarer, I'm going to hang out there for a bit, if anyone wants to get on and see what the fuss is all about.

EDIT2: actually, it appears Alex will need to be the one that registers the channel, since it links to the nick that registers it. more info

but you can still get on the channel to discuss it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:49:21 PM by theShadow »
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »

Just want to remind everyone that for this to work I will need the help of the community. If you feel you are very knowledgeable about the game and willing to contribute I urge you to do so.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

:/ a wikia wiki? (I'm referring to the corporation, not the software (which is MediaWiki I think it's called))

I should get my server's fan fixed and provide hosting for a lot of the secondary stuff (and mods too).

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »

I can work on editing this. I made a bunch of changes to the main page, but I don't know how to save it, and lost everything. Oh well, I can do it again.

Ocho

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »

Just click publish when you are done, alternatively alt+s

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 03:02:59 AM »

I bought this game a few day after the first release but did not registered on the forum, till now. I liked it from the first minute of play and have played it for days. I think it has great potential. As a programmer i appreciate the effort on AI. I hate when good game are ruined by poor AI.

On topic, i was waiting for a wiki. I'm going to contribute. For now i have done little, i added the list of the ships and now i'll add a list of the weapons.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:11 AM »

question. If everything on the wiki is considered CC-by-SA, then how much information can we copy from the starfarer website? I was going to copy the whole blog post about lore into a wiki section, but now I'm not sure.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »

question. If everything on the wiki is considered CC-by-SA, then how much information can we copy from the starfarer website? I was going to copy the whole blog post about lore into a wiki section, but now I'm not sure.

Hmm. Reading it over, looks like you shouldn't do that. Perhaps add a link instead?

I'm looking into setting up MediaWiki on the fractalsoftworks.com server, so this kind of thing wouldn't be an issue (and no ads, too). Would be up already, but it needs php5, and the hosted account is currently running php4, so I'm talking to support.

Since it's the same wiki software, hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a pain to move stuff over when it's up.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »

ah, ok. I'll take it down then.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »

Ok guys, it's up:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/wiki

Still a work-in-progress (need to upload an image for the top right, for one). Let me know if this works alright.

Lethal Dosage

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »

Nice, is there a way to improve the searches though? If I recall correctly, the search engine is pretty crappy.
Pages: [1] 2 3