Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Story NPCs + AI Art  (Read 2678 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
Story NPCs + AI Art
« on: March 12, 2023, 02:02:58 PM »

There are many like this but this one is mine :) I started and couldn't stop myself from doing more. These took maybe 7 hours of generation and tweaking in total (I can't bring myself to call it 'work').

Full album (but without commentary): https://imgur.com/a/I7rOEs7

Baird: Not too hard, glasses took a bit, and I think it captured her well.

Sebestyen: Was tricky to keep his expression, lost a bit of it. He's a little too saturated but overall it captures him.
Spoiler
[close]

CEO Sun: Eyes and making her not completely Caucasian were kinda tricky, otherwise fine.
Spoiler
[close]

Young Andrada: I spent AGES on Andrada and this is the best I could do. The AI really really wanted to make him look like a Civ leader. Something about his vanilla sprite.
Not thrilled with this one.
Spoiler
[close]

Current Andrada: Same as above.
Spoiler
[close]

Daud: Doesn't perfectly capture him but I was getting tired.
Spoiler
[close]

Cotton: Making photo-realistic ones is hard when they have sci-fi things that aren't really in training models. Rather than try for photoreal, I left it at this, with most of the vanilla features (headset band, scar even though it's awful) intact.
Spoiler
[close]

Coureuse: Same as above. Had to balance realistic with the green doodad.
Spoiler
[close]

Zal: Fairly happy with this one.
Spoiler
[close]

Gargoyle: They are a really hard one because of all the gadgetry and atypical style, so I'm proud of how this came out. Still a bit stylized, but it keeps almost all of their features intact while being a bit creative (like the visor shape).
Spoiler
[close]

Jaspis: Fastest of them all to make, one or two minutes. I'm sure I spent over an hour on the Andradas.
Spoiler
[close]

Kanta: Similar to Gargoyle, very tricky subject and I "rerolled" individual parts a lot to get it to where it is. Pretty pleased with the result.
Spoiler
[close]

Loke: Scars are hard. The face shape and expression was hard. One of the worst of the bunch.
Spoiler
[close]

<SUPER REDACTED>
Spoiler
[close]

Volta: Astonished that it could do this at all.
Spoiler
[close]

<redacted> captain: This one was a lot of fun. Ended up with a lot of cool-looking images, but this had a lot of floaty energy and doesn't show too much face.
Spoiler
[close]

Methodology
I am by no means an expert on this and have taken the "screw around and find out" approach to learning.
Ran on my own PC using Automatic1111's Web UI.
Model: Mostly Deliberate v2. Used Liberty just for the Andrada ones because Deliberate was making them even more video game looking.
Hypernetwork: none for most, Midjourney for the zig captain.
Sampling Method: usually DPM++ SDE Karras. Euler a was sometimes better for initial upscale.
25-50 steps for each. 7 or 8 CFG. Using img2img, start with a low Denoising Strength as an upscale, then increase the denoising on the result. Used inpainting for tweaking.
Prompts almost always included "8k, ultra realistic" and negative prompts were "cartoon, 3d, blurred".

I did no manual editing or post-processing (so imagine what an artist could do).

This was a lot of fun to do and brought the NPCs to life in a different way, like seeing the movie after reading the book. I've used it to to guided upscaling of older game sprites, namely from EV Nova, and it's quite satisfying. Not useful in any way, but ...satisfying. For older game art, it sort of creates the image that we remember it as; back in the day it didn't matter that it was 64x64, that was the norm. Seeing it today, it looks dated, but upscaling it bridges that gap of years.

BONUS: Kanta's TriTinder pic.
Spoiler
[close]

I don't know if I have any rights to these images but if I do, I give them all to Fractal Softworks. Welcome to the new world of AI, where the rules are made up and copyright doesn't matter. They're coming for my job, too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 03:37:54 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Managers: SMOL & TriOS | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Story NPCs + AI Art
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 05:55:18 AM »

Amazing. Looking at these makes the storyline feel quite a bit more alive.

Can I see your EV Nova stuff, too? If you don't want to post it here, you can PM me.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 05:38:14 PM »

Can I see your EV Nova stuff, too? If you don't want to post it here, you can PM me.

Thank you!

I could probably do much better with the EV Nova stuff now, after more practice, but here is what I generated before. Nothing fancy but it's enough to see it with more clarity.

Spoiler

[close]

Love your name btw :D
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Managers: SMOL & TriOS | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 11:02:13 PM »

Thank you!

I could probably do much better with the EV Nova stuff now, after more practice, but here is what I generated before. Nothing fancy but it's enough to see it with more clarity.

Spoiler

[close]

Love your name btw :D

Haha, thanks. EV:Override is probably my favorite space adventure of all time. When I played that game the first time I was amazed at the low tech level of the Humans and Voinians and thought, well, this is probably a low-tech dystopian setting and went along the United Earth storyline. Then I in fact explored to the galactic north myself and stumbled upon all the advanced galactic civilizations and was completely blown away. That is probably my best memory of a space game. But it would be hard to play these days with the low res graphics. EV: Nova is great too and you probably get the same effect with the Polaris if you haven't played EVO, but I felt they weren't as fleshed out as the Miranu, Azdgari etc.

It would be amazing to have a refresh of these games, but unfortunately I haven't found any that have a comparable depth of story and the same sense of adventure. Endless Sky is pretty close but unfortunately I feel the combat is clunkier and more twitchy and also it is too easy to get extremely rich and powerful in human space without ever involving yourself with the aliens. I have even toyed around with the idea of making EV ships for Starsector but really don't have the time.

Have you done any Heraan Auroran ships? Those seem like they would especially benefit from upscaling, specifically the capitals. I need to learn how you do these for myself someday just for this stuff, it looks great.

By the way, I'll add that I like old Andrada. Just fix the collar that the AI messed up and he's great. The parka-like white section is very Kim Jong Il. Something like this but by somebody who actually knows what they are doing

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 11:24:19 PM by CapnHector »
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 05:15:07 AM »

Good stuff, nice, thank you for sharing and making the post, also interesting to see all the minor and major defects of the pics. Thank you.
>Volta: Astonished that it could do this at all.
I chuckled.
>BONUS: Kanta's TriTinder pic.
Uhhh...

Employee Musician

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 03:23:42 PM »

There are many like this but this one is mine :) I started and couldn't stop myself from doing more. These took maybe 7 hours of generation and best phentermine over the counter tweaking in total (I can't bring myself to call it 'work').

Full album (but without commentary): https://imgur.com/a/I7rOEs7

Baird: Not too hard, glasses took a bit, and I think it captured her well.

Sebestyen: Was tricky to keep his expression, lost a bit of it. He's a little too saturated but overall it captures him.
Spoiler
[close]

CEO Sun: Eyes and making her not completely Caucasian were kinda tricky, otherwise fine.
Spoiler
[close]

Young Andrada: I spent AGES on Andrada and this is the best I could do. The AI really really wanted to make him look like a Civ leader. Something about his vanilla sprite.
Not thrilled with this one.
Spoiler
[close]

Current Andrada: Same as above.
Spoiler
[close]

Daud: Doesn't perfectly capture him but I was getting tired.
Spoiler
[close]

Cotton: Making photo-realistic ones is hard when they have sci-fi things that aren't really in training models. Rather than try for photoreal, I left it at this, with most of the vanilla features (headset band, scar even though it's awful) intact.
Spoiler
[close]

Coureuse: Same as above. Had to balance realistic with the green doodad.
Spoiler
[close]

Zal: Fairly happy with this one.
Spoiler
[close]

Gargoyle: They are a really hard one because of all the gadgetry and atypical style, so I'm proud of how this came out. Still a bit stylized, but it keeps almost all of their features intact while being a bit creative (like the visor shape).
Spoiler
[close]

Jaspis: Fastest of them all to make, one or two minutes. I'm sure I spent over an hour on the Andradas.
Spoiler
[close]

Kanta: Similar to Gargoyle, very tricky subject and I "rerolled" individual parts a lot to get it to where it is. Pretty pleased with the result.
Spoiler
[close]

Loke: Scars are hard. The face shape and expression was hard. One of the worst of the bunch.
Spoiler
[close]

<SUPER REDACTED>
Spoiler
[close]

Volta: Astonished that it could do this at all.
Spoiler
[close]

<redacted> captain: This one was a lot of fun. Ended up with a lot of cool-looking images, but this had a lot of floaty energy and doesn't show too much face.
Spoiler
[close]

Methodology
I am by no means an expert on this and have taken the "screw around and find out" approach to learning.
Ran on my own PC using Automatic1111's Web UI.
Model: Mostly Deliberate v2. Used Liberty just for the Andrada ones because Deliberate was making them even more video game looking.
Hypernetwork: none for most, Midjourney for the zig captain.
Sampling Method: usually DPM++ SDE Karras. Euler a was sometimes better for initial upscale.
25-50 steps for each. 7 or 8 CFG. Using img2img, start with a low Denoising Strength as an upscale, then increase the denoising on the result. Used inpainting for tweaking.
Prompts almost always included "8k, ultra realistic" and negative prompts were "cartoon, 3d, blurred".

I did no manual editing or post-processing (so imagine what an artist could do).

This was a lot of fun to do and brought the NPCs to life in a different way, like seeing the movie after reading the book. I've used it to to guided upscaling of older game sprites, namely from EV Nova, and it's quite satisfying. Not useful in any way, but ...satisfying. For older game art, it sort of creates the image that we remember it as; back in the day it didn't matter that it was 64x64, that was the norm. Seeing it today, it looks dated, but upscaling it bridges that gap of years.

BONUS: Kanta's TriTinder pic.
Spoiler
[close]

I don't know if I have any rights to these images but if I do, I give them all to Fractal Softworks. Welcome to the new world of AI, where the rules are made up and copyright doesn't matter. They're coming for my job, too.

I noticed that there is a shining on eye lids shine is of yellow and blue. I want to know why the eyes lids are shiny?
The picture is very much iconic even she is not beautiful maybe the colors are attractive, em very confused!
Do share some more photos like this. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:33:56 AM by Employee Musician »

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 03:27:32 AM »

You got me interested in this AI art stuff, so now that I think I have beaten Starsector - I only have one idea how to go lower from 37 DP vs ~824 DP double Ordo, and that is just replacing the Nova with a Brilliant, I've not been able to figure out any other combo; it's a real pain and I'll only do it if SCC can beat my previous record - here are some Andradas.

Deliberate v2

Epicrealism, aka civ leader version
[close]

Prompt
an ((elderly 80-year-old)) clean-shaven white man, in a black, white and gold crisp flat pressed and smooth raion military uniform with (insignia: golden two (sword blades) above and one golden (wing) below) upon a purple patch on the collar, and purple cape with gold braid hem and a silver braid, two bright gold buttons on collar below chin, gold silver and purple (campaign ribbons) with (jewels) on left breast, three gold and ruby (medals) on right breast, short receding grey hair, sharp grey eyebrows, sharp nose, ((glowing)) ((amber)) eyes, black background, (red glow) of a red sun from behind him on the left, gaunt, imposing, cruel, unhappy, (looking straight ahead), a military commander, (liverspots), thin lips, straight nose, photorealistic, ultra realistic, hd photo high resolution real, skin pores, oilyskin, 8k, Nikon Z9, ultra hd, photo
Negative prompt: facialhair, woman, feminine, parka, blurry, unsharp, cartoon, unrealistic, 3d, 3dcg, animated
Steps: 40, Sampler: Euler, CFG scale: 7, Seed: 3197927563, Size: 1024x1024, Model hash: 9aba26abdf, Model: deliberate_v2, Denoising strength: 0.35, Version: 1.5.1
[close]

I had to use a low denoising strength to keep it from screwing up the collar but unfortunately this also means there is no photorealism except in the epicrealism one where it also decided to just alter the details. And try as I might, I couldn't get it to make him look either old or mean. Also I first created a draft image and then manually added back details from the original image with just a paint program, so here is the draft image I used which is actually the most accurate upscale of the small portrait imo:

Promptimage

[close]

Edit:

Just to go with Andrada, an Executor generated using Deliberate v2 from one of my combat screenshots and again retouched with paint software.

I figure I must try to do an Astral at least when I get the chance, this stuff is great.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 06:20:17 AM by CapnHector »

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 03:23:59 AM »

I think I finally managed what might be called a decent Andrada after much messing around. This is in fact the unedited output of Deliberate v2, I would like to make some changes in GIMP.

Prompt
(sci-fi), (future), ((detailed)), RAW photo,  photorealistic, hyperrealistic, masterpiece, nikon z9, ((2/3 face shot)),  (((old man))), clean-shaven, white, military commander, (wrinkles:1.2), straight nose, spots, skinpores,  recedinghair, greyhair, straightnose, ((orange glow eyes):1.4), (stern expression), black background, (lightgrey plastic overcoat), (coatcollar with golden hem in lightgrey and back), (black business shirt gold buttons and collarbar and darkpurple collarpatch), (collar insignia of (vertical staff and a stylized wing) in gold upon darkpurple), (purple velvet cape with 1 gold braid hem and 1 silver braid, 2 gold buttons, (gold lattice inset with jewels on left on breast)), (3 golden medals inset with rubies on right on breast), ((red) backlight), (rimlight)

Negative: ugly, poorly drawn face, blurry, bad anatomy, blurred, watermark, grainy, signature, cut off, draft, facialhair, young

SEED: 2918290028
cfg 7 dns .35

Image prompt:
[close]

Edit:

I was still able to improve this to be more accurate to the ingame sprite (next to it for comparison) by learning to use ControlNet. Although I actually prefer my sith lord above artistically. This should be about as good as you can get.

The prompt for this was

Spoiler
sci-fi, hyperdetailed, cinematic, red dramatic cinematic lighting, portrait, 8k, from star wars, old man, amber eyes, purple velvet cape with gold braid and silver band edge, grey plastic military overcoat with black and grey collar and gold edges, black shirt, black undershirt, gold medals, gold wing on collar, black background, red backlight
Negative prompt: ugly, poorly drawn face, blurry, bad anatomy, blurred, grainy, draft, facialhair, young, furry, weird eyes, misshapen eyes, purple eyes, grey eyes
Steps: 20, Sampler: Euler, CFG scale: 7, Seed: 2918290036, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 9aba26abdf, Model: deliberate_v2, Denoising strength: 0.5, ControlNet 0: "Module: canny, Model: control_v11p_sd15_canny [d14c016b], Weight: 1, Resize Mode: Crop and Resize, Low Vram: False, Processor Res: 512, Threshold A: 100, Threshold B: 200, Guidance Start: 0, Guidance End: 1, Pixel Perfect: True, Control Mode: Balanced", Version: 1.5.1

[close]

Here's a quick 30 minute Kanta with the same method (edit: decided to specify she is from Pirates of the Caribbean)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:14:23 PM by CapnHector »

ShogunTrooper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 06:10:56 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Kinda reminds me of Diego Luna, just with a bit less facial hair.

Jonathan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 03:57:31 AM »

Really nice stuff :).

I love Kanta. Maybe I''ll handdraw her for my living room wall :).   

Right now I am waiting for my ordered drawing tablet - I wanted to get into digital drawing :). Maybe I'll start with making those scars look better once I figured out procreate :)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 04:01:41 AM by Jonathan »