Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nomadic Survival 1.4.0 - Discover ways to thrive off-grid  (Read 32153 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Nomadic Survival 1.3.0 - Discover ways to thrive off-grid
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2023, 09:54:20 PM »

Ah, I should've thought to test that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to patch it soon. Thanks again for reporting!

123nick

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2023, 11:37:21 AM »

Have you thought of adding nexerelin mining-strength integration? Basically, nex has a "mining strength" for each weapon, ship, and wing that is possible to contribute to mining. Mods can (and often do, i know xhantech, HMI, and vayras ships do, many others probably do aswell) add there own weapons, wings, and ships to this list, each with there own mining strength. So something like a hammer, which description says is "ubiquitous in the sector pre-collapse due to civilian applications discovered by asteroid miners", contributes to the mining strength of the fleet when mounted on a ship, and mods that add medium sized hammers (like vayras ship pack) also have a mining strength defined for those modded medium hammers.

The point im getting to is what if mining strength could, for certain plantery operations, tie into this mechanic? Like some planetary operations (like extracting ore from an exposed ore vein, or drilling to a deep pre-collapse tech vault) needs atleast X mining strength total across the fleet to be accessible, and/or mining strength past X makes extracting resources from that planetary operation more efficient? I think it would be pretty interesting, and help incentivize the player for trying different ship loadouts and fleet compositions they wouldnt otherwise try.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2023, 03:52:13 PM »

I thought a lot about how this mod should interact with Nexeralin's mining feature before I started it and throughout development. In terms of mechanics and balance, mining works so much differently between the two that I decided to separate them thematically as well. Nex mining is all about ships using their loadouts to mine, so I made nomadic survival mining about sending crew to mine easily accessible ore with heavy machinery. I like the way the two features interact. Nex mining is a reliable and cheap (but time-consuming) process that requires a special fleet comp and provides resources that can be used in planet ops, while planetary mining ops are the costly-but-quick way to get the same resources for fleets that aren't built for mining. A "best of both worlds" type of mining that bridges the gap could be good, but it would be tough to balance. Maybe mining-strength could reduce the effective hazard rating of mining operations? That might make work as a reliable balancing mechanism. Hmm... It's something to consider, at least. I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the suggestion!

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2023, 05:38:54 AM »

Love this mod, thank you..

One thing erks me though, when hunting or employing humans or other resources (marines for example) it feels like a straight up trade off. Could there be some kind of risk-factor and reward instead? For example when hunting megafauna I could increase or decrease the amount of marines which would affect the kind of results I get - more marines might mean more meat and also less death? But with a randomizer or skill check - for example I have a lot of well-trained marines but that doesn´t affect my ability to use them effectively in this specific scenario. It might also be similar in that if I use my ships lasers to carve out some metal maybe my overall fleet mining strength would affect the result? I understand this mechanic might be a pain but it would add a lot to the great concept. At this moment it feels like a swap-mart rather than a mission with some chance involved.

Another idea could be to add some risk to some of the missions - again it´s a chance modifier but for example if you choose to use force in some cases that might trigger an enemy fleet or another severe reaction in some cases (like triple losses or a fuel explosion or something disastrous). I think this could add an element of risk to such actions and add a lot in terms of the exploratory gambles you make at the frontier.

Could it be that salvage gantries or similar fleet capacities such as sensor strenghth would be a defining factor on whether or not certain opportunities show in the first place? Having a low sensor or mining strength might mean the options don´t show up in the first place. This would give some exploratory curve also as planets that were previously visited could be revisited with a stronger fleet later in the game to see if there are new opportunities.

Lastly it could be that with high mining, sensor, salvage strengths that very rare and valuable opportunities show up such as alpha cores or even an omega?

Have a great day   

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2023, 09:12:16 AM »

I just discovered this mod, and it elegantly addresses the issues I had with the triviality of exploration in the base game. At least so far, did not spend very much time with it yet. I especially like how it makes dedicated exploration ships so useful, as they have properly shielded fuel storage. Thank you very much, Sundog!

Do you want it to be added to the mod index and/or moved to the mods subforum?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:15:18 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

X1Alpha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2023, 08:20:35 PM »

Found a planet looking to trade crew for food at 300% profit, and a planet nearby that will trade food for marines at 100% profit... and so my playthrough went from space trucking to pirate nomad warlord in the span of a cycle.

This mod is great, combined with forge production this really lets me stay out of the core sectors for a long time. Hell I like to think this is how the pirates who lurk in the middle of no where actually survive. I feel like there should be an option with this mod to make colonizing more expensive to set up, just to expand the time you spend exploring and using these operations.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2023, 10:22:59 PM »

One thing erks me though, when hunting or employing humans or other resources (marines for example) it feels like a straight up trade off. Could there be some kind of risk-factor and reward instead? For example when hunting megafauna I could increase or decrease the amount of marines which would affect the kind of results I get - more marines might mean more meat and also less death? But with a randomizer or skill check - for example I have a lot of well-trained marines but that doesn´t affect my ability to use them effectively in this specific scenario. It might also be similar in that if I use my ships lasers to carve out some metal maybe my overall fleet mining strength would affect the result? I understand this mechanic might be a pain but it would add a lot to the great concept. At this moment it feels like a swap-mart rather than a mission with some chance involved.
Yeah, I'd like for the operations that involve crew or marines to feel more organic as well. I think you've got a good point about how the total number of marines should make a difference in your example. I might be able to figure out a clean way to work that in. In general I'd like to give more significance to fleet capabilities like sensor strength, mining rating, or # of marines, and that seems like a good opportunity to do so.

Another idea could be to add some risk to some of the missions - again it´s a chance modifier but for example if you choose to use force in some cases that might trigger an enemy fleet or another severe reaction in some cases (like triple losses or a fuel explosion or something disastrous). I think this could add an element of risk to such actions and add a lot in terms of the exploratory gambles you make at the frontier.
My original plans for this mod actually included a lot of randomized risk, for many of the reasons you described. Unfortunately, that kind of thing didn't make it in because I couldn't figure out a satisfactory way to reconcile meaningful RNG events with Starsector's traditional save/load system*. The base game handles this by making all RNG outcomes predetermined and either beneficial or inconsequential. Generally I think Starsector does a great job of not encouraging "save scumming" too much, so I try to follow the same rules. I could add inconsequential variation to losses involving crew and marines, but that would be incompatible with the predictive QoL features.
*Some people play iron mode (which I respect quite a bit) but I wanted the mod to work well for others, too.

Lastly it could be that with high mining, sensor, salvage strengths that very rare and valuable opportunities show up such as alpha cores or even an omega?
Yeah, stuff like that could be good. One thing on my to-do list is to make some operations require spending certain resources and/or having certain prerequisites to unlock, so that's something that could tie-in well with more significant one-time rewards, like AI cores (although handing out Omega cores might be a tad too much)

Love this mod, thank you..
[snip]
Have a great day
Likewise! Thanks for the feedback  ;D

I just discovered this mod, and it elegantly addresses the issues I had with the triviality of exploration in the base game. At least so far, did not spend very much time with it yet. I especially like how it makes dedicated exploration ships so useful, as they have properly shielded fuel storage. Thank you very much, Sundog!
You're quite welcome! I hope it doesn't disappoint   :)
I read your thread shortly after you posted it and completely agree, of course. In fact, a lot of your suggestions for making exploration more challenging are eerily similar to some of the ideas I considered as alternatives to what ended up being the "drive field anomaly." I was tempted to post in your thread to promote this mod, so thanks for doing it for me ;D

Do you want it to be added to the mod index and/or moved to the mods subforum?
Thanks for offering! I don't think it's *quite* ready for prime time, but I'll PM you once I feel like it is?

Found a planet looking to trade crew for food at 300% profit, and a planet nearby that will trade food for marines at 100% profit... and so my playthrough went from space trucking to pirate nomad warlord in the span of a cycle.
Nice find!

This mod is great, combined with forge production this really lets me stay out of the core sectors for a long time. Hell I like to think this is how the pirates who lurk in the middle of no where actually survive. I feel like there should be an option with this mod to make colonizing more expensive to set up, just to expand the time you spend exploring and using these operations.
The base game actually has quite a few config-file options for adjusting the cost of setting up colonies in starsector-core/data/config/settings.json  :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Nomadic Survival 1.3.1 - Discover ways to thrive off-grid
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2023, 05:38:13 PM »

Nomadic Survival 1.3.1

- Fixed a crash caused by surveyors showing up in bars after the player already has intel on all valid planets
- Changed: Options for visiting operation sites with one-time rewards for the first time now use the default highlighting color
- Changed: Planets are now displayed in "large-view" while considering planetary operations

robocat651

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Nomadic Survival 1.3.1 - Discover ways to thrive off-grid
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2023, 07:06:59 AM »

Interesting mod! I haven't installed it but will definitely do so the next restart.

Also, I was thinking if you could possibly add a "mobile refinery" ship that can make it more efficient to create fuel from the resources we gain from interactions and are lugging around anyway? Kinda like the salvage ship but fuel focused, and gradually consume the resources in the cargo to turn it into fuel.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2023, 08:54:21 AM »

Interesting mod! I haven't installed it but will definitely do so the next restart.
I hope it's to your liking!  ;D

Also, I was thinking if you could possibly add a "mobile refinery" ship that can make it more efficient to create fuel from the resources we gain from interactions and are lugging around anyway? Kinda like the salvage ship but fuel focused, and gradually consume the resources in the cargo to turn it into fuel.
Unfortunately I'm not much of an artist, so I try to avoid making ships. I think PAGSM might have ships like that. My version of a similar concept is fuel siphoning. Forge Production allows you to make ships that can create fuel. Hope one of those works for you!

Noopy757

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2023, 05:30:22 PM »

I want to do a playthrough where I NEVER dock at a station that isn't my own and I'm in the early game and I lost a bunch of crew from an early battle. Is there a way to get more crew?

Edit: Same with credits?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 05:48:53 PM by Noopy757 »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2023, 06:09:09 PM »

That sounds like a fun idea! This mod provides a few new ways to get crew outside of the core worlds, but for credits you'll need to do missions or found a colony. This mod only provides credits in the form of "anomaly data" which need to be sold to actually get credits.

123nick

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2023, 04:21:53 PM »

I want to do a playthrough where I NEVER dock at a station that isn't my own and I'm in the early game and I lost a bunch of crew from an early battle. Is there a way to get more crew?

Edit: Same with credits?

Theres a mod, i think stellar networks? that lets you remotely contact, well, contacts. configurable to be only if near a comms relay aswell. that can let you accept missions without resetting your drive anomaly.

Also, on a seperate note, i had an idea for a feature suggestion. i find a lot of mods add ships that are supposed to be in the same vein as the Apogee, where there exploration vessels, but because there like 900 fuel capacity for 8 fuel/light year, they end up not getting the "protected" storage class and are unsuitable (or atleast not ideal) for exploration. i can see why this can be intentional for game balance, but it feels weird looking at a vessel thats stylized to be an "exploration vessel" (like apogee kitbashed or using similar textures- stuff like the Nadir and Conquistador), and has a text description describing it as such, and then ingame its not really super viable in that role.

Maybe a configurable option, default off or on i dont care,  to consider all vessels with both high res sensors AND surveying kit built in (not S-modded in or added as a normal hullmod) and no civilian-grade hullmod, to always be considered protected. or atleast, protected at a higher margin than 100 fuel storage for each fuel per light year. maybe there protected up to 150 fuel worth of storage per fuel per light year? or configurable? i think itd be nice for mod compatability: a modder could make an exploration capital or high-tier exploration ship that slightly pushes the bounds of fuel storage per fuel per light year without having it be considered "militarized", and thus not ideal for exploration.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2023, 07:51:22 PM »

Maybe a configurable option, default off or on i dont care,  to consider all vessels with both high res sensors AND surveying kit built in (not S-modded in or added as a normal hullmod) and no civilian-grade hullmod, to always be considered protected. or atleast, protected at a higher margin than 100 fuel storage for each fuel per light year. maybe there protected up to 150 fuel worth of storage per fuel per light year? or configurable? i think itd be nice for mod compatability: a modder could make an exploration capital or high-tier exploration ship that slightly pushes the bounds of fuel storage per fuel per light year without having it be considered "militarized", and thus not ideal for exploration.
I like the idea of making the travel range (100 fuel storage for each fuel per light year) threshold configurable. Might not make it into the next patch, but 1.4.0 for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

LngA7Gw

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2023, 11:44:56 PM »

Feedback; the UI can be a lot more user friendly if it tells you have much input/output commodity you have as well as how much free space you have.  There's many times where I have to repeatedly go back to my inventory to see what I have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5