Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why the Aurora nerf?  (Read 16795 times)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Aurora nerf?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

I'd argue that the Enforcer is nastier than the Medusa. Sure, it can't catch the Medusa, but with how powerful medium ballistics slots are (and the area denial/burst damage available via rockets and missiles), it can do some SERIOUS damage at long range. Medusae get overwhelmed very easily in fleet engagements too, while the Enforcer can mount flaks to ease off the pain of missiles and strike craft.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »

Yeah I love them both. They both fill different roles.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »

One thing - I would happily take my single Onslaught against nearly any fleet. Gauss cannons own at a range, heavy armour makes the monstrosity hard to move but pretty much friggin unkillable, extended mags (though nerfed) is insane on my weaponry, there's just so much this ship has that means it doesn't need support. I love my conquest (interesting weapon design, due to lack of resources, one side has dual hellbores and the other has dual gauss cannons - result is insane close and distance fighting, if you can wheel the damn thing around), but the stompy power that the onslaught brings is awesome.

That said, I do stick a Hypervelocity driver and heavy mauler on the rear of my ship. I've never had any problem with tempests - ever. That does however make sure they die (hypervelocity driver for shields and heavy mauler for armour and hull).

On subject of the aurora - it's not mobile enough for me, and the lack of a large energy weapon slot is crippling IMO (heavy blasters, OK, but I have a tachyon lance, autopulse, plasma cannon...), it's just like a big enforcer. Even my Astral could beat it (taken to using it, one wing of thunders to distract the enemy and they're an easy target for the hurricane MIRV's - another insane working idea).

That said, isn't the Apogee a very aggressive exploration cruiser?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »

Yeah I think that exploration part is said with a wink and a knowing grin.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

I think the "exploration" bit deals with the fact that the weapons setup and loadout is, erm, "eclectic" to say the least.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

Yeah I think that exploration part is said with a wink and a knowing grin.  :)

Where are you going to explore that you need a Plasma Cannon?

Dirty mind kicks in. Heeeeh, Heeeeh, heeeeeh....
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

My point exactly, the Apogee is now the tanky high tech cruiser, even though it doesn't have the sleek armored highest tech pure combat look of the Hyperion-Medusa-Aurora-Paragon line. It's very weird on a cruiser that has almost as good utility stats as an Odyssey (minus flight deck) but oh well, I can buy an Apogee for the price of a Hyperion so I'll just do that from now on. :P

By the way Alex, I used to get 0.3 shield efficiency using Hardened Shields and an Elite crew. I'd get -0.1 for the shield mod and -0.1 for each extra level of a crew (so -0.2). After the patch I get 0.4 on the Aurora, I expected to get 0.5. I imagine this is just rounding innacuracy? Is it possible we could get an extra decimal on the display? Also what is the actual effect of each crew level on the shield efficiency? I imagine it's not actually -0.1.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:34:01 PM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

Well it's not "tanky" by any means. Not to me. But it is fun and it does have promise.

If I wanted to do straight combat I'd still go aurora all the way.
- Voltaire

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »

Well it's not "tanky" by any means. Not to me. But it is fun and it does have promise.

If I wanted to do straight combat I'd still go aurora all the way.

It's barely less tanky than the 0.51 Aurora. Most of the Aurora's flux dissipation advantage is made up for by the Apogee's lower flux cost for the shields, and the effective hitpoints of the Apogee are now way higher than that of the Aurora with its barely higher flux capacity.

I'm still messing around trying to figure out what weapon loadout I want on the Apogee, but it certainly feels superior in combat. It also costs 1 less FP and it's going to be insanely useful in the full campaign because of all the non-combat stats it has, just look at its cargo capacity.
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »

What loadout are you guys putting on your Apogee's to make them so tough? I can't find a single Apogee loadout that I like! I honestly consider it to be far far weaker than either an Eagle or an Aurora. Between the hardpoint small energy slots (huh?), the medium energy turrets mounted about 400 units in back of the ship, and the backwards facing missile launcher... it has an incomparably weird weapon design that kinda fails to bring guns onto the target. Its not a bad ship but I don't really consider it a top tier combat ship (which it shouldn't be given the role/out of combat abilities). Its lots of defense, not much offense.

Even after the nerfing of the shields the Aurora it still rather badass, at least imo. Heavy blasters are kind of awesome, and the Aurora has the flux to wield them very well.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »

I stick ir pulses in the small hardpoints. Autopulse up front in the large. burst pd in the weird pd slots. Med reaper launcher in the side slot and grav beams in the back (ignore the small missile). Then you load up on hull mods and vents.

It's sweet. Not as fast or as pretty as an aurora, but pretty dang tough.
- Voltaire

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »

Hmm, I'll have to try the autopulse. I played around with the Apogee for a bit previously, and I couldn't ever figure out what people see in it.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »

It's tricksy. It's fun to kite people with the HIL, but not very effective as far as I can tell. But it's a good trollolol setup.  :)  Tachyon lance is good of course. But that's not nearly as fun.

Plasma is good, too. I prefer the autopulse, though. More my particular style.
- Voltaire

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »

The Apogee's always been my favorite ship, by far. I use a plasma cannon, two antimatter blasters in the small hardpoints, and a hurricane MIRV. PD isn't really necessary with 360 shields and a massive flux reserve. It'll instagib anything smaller than a cruiser, and overload any shields in a couple salvos.

I've always disliked the Aurora. It only really functions well with everything (aside from missiles) on autofire, so there's no real combat involved. Floating around spamming missiles and tanking isn't all that enjoyable.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »

No I'd have to disagree there. Aurora is dang fun. Spamming missiles is one of my favorite things, though, haha.
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4