Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bounty Target inside Black Hole.  (Read 1196 times)

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Bounty Target inside Black Hole.
« on: February 24, 2023, 10:22:55 AM »

Got a Bounty from local (player station) bar mission. Learned it was a black hole, thought "Oh cool, a bounty target around a black hole, this will be cool."

It was not cool. Entered the system to find the Bounty in the middle of the black hole, unable to escape. Their CR was like 1% and they wouldn't die, and if I entered to fight them I would inevitably lose my entire fleet as well.

Not cool.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bounty Target inside Black Hole.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 10:51:12 AM »

If you run mods, you got to list them. The scenario you describe might not be vanilla SS.

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 11:11:07 AM »

If you run mods, you got to list them. The scenario you describe might not be vanilla SS.

Vanilla playthrough. What about the description of the event would indicate there was any mod at play?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 09:21:32 PM »

Thank you for the report! This will just happen sometimes; fleets will encounter navigation hazards.

You only need to destroy the enemy flagship to collect the bounty; that seems like it *should* be doable even within the event horizon? Depending on the fleet composition etc, of course.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 10:57:13 PM »

As I recall, you still get a bounty payout if you're nearby and the fleet dies, so I think what's actually missing here is that the fleet should die just from being in a black hole.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 06:35:05 AM »

Thank you for the report! This will just happen sometimes; fleets will encounter navigation hazards.

You only need to destroy the enemy flagship to collect the bounty; that seems like it *should* be doable even within the event horizon? Depending on the fleet composition etc, of course.

The CR degradation from the Black Hole is pretty severe pretty fast (understandably so). Losing ships would be almost impossible to avoid. It's probably doable but after trying a couple of times and reloading (messing with the mechanics of the blackhole), I just gave up and abandoned the mission because it wasn't worth it to me.

What I almost expected to happen was that the enemy fleet would eventually be destroyed inside the blackhole without me going in there after them, and I would automatically get the bounty. Alternatively they could burn to escape the black hole and actually fight me (or run from me).. Instead they just seemed kind of stuck in there. I learned I could emergency burn out to escape, but they didn't even attempt it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 08:40:08 AM »

I learned I could emergency burn out to escape, but they didn't even attempt it.
E-Burn, like T-Jump, may have requirements.  It is possible the enemy did not e-burn because they simply could not.

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 09:29:18 AM »

I learned I could emergency burn out to escape, but they didn't even attempt it.
E-Burn, like T-Jump, may have requirements.  It is possible the enemy did not e-burn because they simply could not.

True. I forget that to EBurn you have to "spend" CR, and their CR was all 1%.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 10:52:07 AM »

I've been in this situation before, and it's not really that reasonable to kill the flagship without losing your own ships because you also lose CR extremely rapidly. When I was trying, I would be in critical malfunction territory before even killing any enemies. I don't think you could reliably find and kill the enemy flagship in the middle of their fleet. Only possibility would be maybe phase ship or hyperion cheese IMO, but those ships already have CR issues.

IMO, the bounty fleet should just die from being in the black hole.

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 09:04:05 AM »

I've been in this situation before, and it's not really that reasonable to kill the flagship without losing your own ships because you also lose CR extremely rapidly. When I was trying, I would be in critical malfunction territory before even killing any enemies. I don't think you could reliably find and kill the enemy flagship in the middle of their fleet. Only possibility would be maybe phase ship or hyperion cheese IMO, but those ships already have CR issues.

IMO, the bounty fleet should just die from being in the black hole.

Agreed. Or make it so that bounties can't spawn in black hole systems... or make it so that if they do spawn there they will avoid the blackhole.

WhisperDSP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 09:15:44 AM »

This would explain the derelict that I saw in the heart of a star once.

There was nothing special about it, and was before I’d joined the forums, so never reported.