Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bar mission changing its terms  (Read 726 times)

Trider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Bar mission changing its terms
« on: March 22, 2023, 07:37:09 PM »

So I've got tired of waiting for the new update and started a new playthrough. I'm still in the early game an here's the situation I find myself in:

I go to a bar and find a typical `transport the goods` mission. The goods are fuel, and the payment is 77k, but I'm ~400 short on available fuel space. So I go to the black market and buy a Dram for an additional ~500 space (300 base + mod/perk). I go back the quest giver, but the terms are now different! The payment is 90k and the amount has increased, so I now lack ~300 space. There are now no Drams available for sale, so I buy a Phaeton for an additional ~1300 space (800 base + mod/perk). I go back the quest giver, but the terms have changed once more! He's now offering 120k for an even greater amount of fuel, and I'm still ~100 units short on space. At no time have I undocked from this station, so the game hasn't been unpaused, and no time has passed, but the terms have changed twice! Wtf? Am I supposed to never meet the requirements of this mission?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 07:38:54 PM by Trider »

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bar mission changing its terms
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 10:08:50 PM »

I guess you just discovered that mission requirements scale with capabilities of your fleet.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 12:06:04 AM »

The cargo mission can scale their requirements to your fleet's capability to carry cargo. That way the mission can match whatever the player is able to carry. So, more cargo capacity means they'll ask you to transport more means you can make more profit. If it's more than what you can carry, then it's simple. Accept the mission first, *then* buy the ship(s) that you need to carry the goods.

Draz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 10:24:10 AM »

It's still confusing behaviour. Maybe you could search the suggestions subforum and make a new thread about it if you can't find any previous reports?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 11:07:31 AM »

That's a bug, definitely; the missions shouldn't change once they've been generated.

I think this might be something introduced by a mod, though? At least, I don't recall seeing this behavior in a purely vanilla runthrough of the game, and I could easily imagine some mod somewhere doing something that resets things in unexpected ways.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 03:59:47 PM »

Which mission was this, exactly? What was the text for starting that conversation?

Looking at the standard commodity delivery mission, it's got code to prevent this behavior and - having just given it a quick test - it seems to be working.

Trider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 05:25:47 PM »

Which mission was this, exactly? What was the text for starting that conversation?

'Nod to the concerned man' one, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 05:41:02 PM by Trider »

Trider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 05:30:35 PM »

I think this might be something introduced by a mod, though?

I only use utility mods (Autosave, CaptainsLog, SpeedUp), so I don't think they could somehow mess with the mission code.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 08:38:13 PM »

'Nod to the concerned man' one, if I remember correctly.

Hmm, weird, that was the one I tested. ... ahh, ok, I get it! It was only doing this for the cargo capacity, and not for the fuel capacity; fixed this up. Thank you!