Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Give all capitals and cruisers limited battle self-repair  (Read 396 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Give all capitals and cruisers limited battle self-repair
« on: February 27, 2023, 07:54:02 PM »

As exactly as it says, what if all capitals and cruisers could slowly self repair to a % threshold while in battle? Possibly 30% and 20% respectively, it doesn't have to be these exact numbers.
This would really distinguish capitals and cruisers from destroyers and frigates.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Give all capitals and cruisers limited battle self-repair
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:24:41 PM »

As exactly as it says, what if all capitals and cruisers could slowly self repair to a % threshold while in battle? Possibly 30% and 20% respectively, it doesn't have to be these exact numbers.
This would really distinguish capitals and cruisers from destroyers and frigates.

Generally don't like the idea. There's already an elite officer skill that gives self-repair up to 50% hull anyway.

Cruisers and Capitals are already very powerful, and with the way fleet sizes work, they're favoured. A well-equipped one has plenty of means to avoid taking hits in the first place - large weapons with longer range & DTC/ITU on top, plenty of small mounts for point defences, large flux pools and dissipation.

If any class of ship were to get such an ability, it should be Frigates (and maybe Destroyers), to help offset their comparative lack of power and survivability - but I reckon it should require retreating off the map first (they'd be allowed to re-deploy to the same battle after X time has passed). Remaining CR is preserved - bumped back up to yellow if it had fallen below - and PPT is reset.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 10:48:36 PM »

yes this totally won't necessitate a rebalance of everything

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 12:12:18 AM »

If you wanted this ability - give it to the Automated Repair Unit hullmod.
Have it generate just enough flux to remove the extra speed when working, and no off switch.
The choice then presented is: Do I want to trade OP and mobility for more situational endurance?

+
  • Would likely be more effective overall than the skill, since it would a piece of equipment specifically built for the task rather than some guys kludging something together in a hurry.
  • Can be applied to any ship, not just ones with officers.

-
  • Costs OP, reduces performance ceiling of ship.
  • Reduces mobility when in use.
  • Can't be turned off.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 07:07:05 AM »

Very limited self-repair could make sense but I don’t think it would add much value. The only thing I could get behind is a very token amount, which would put it in the “why bother?” category.

What I do wish would happen would be that hull sizes had their own inherent range bonuses just by virtue of their class. Something like -/10/15/25%. DTC/ITU replaces the inherent range increase but larger ships would always have a natural range advantage even without hullmods. I think I was tainted by some mod very early in my first play throughs and it’s made sense to me ever since.