Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 323034 times)

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1395 on: July 17, 2023, 10:46:50 PM »

I noticed that the "Hidden Cache" in system with Sentinel is not actually hidden, i.e. you can find and interact it even without visiting Sentinel at all. Is that intended?

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 18, 2023, 01:11:58 AM »

Is the Askonia System Defense Armada hard-coded to have extra D-mods, relative to generic Diktat fleets? I've always seen it with a lot more than the surrounding fleets.

Also, do these special fleets restore themselves over time? I spent early game doing other things, and both special fleets were just Drams when I encountered them, because of constant attrition from pirates.

If you play the storyline the usurpers you can actually find out why the defense armada is like this lorewise but to answer your question its due to the lions guard taking the majority of the military funding to make its fancy ships(although they just parade around rather than protect) and it's also one of the reasons why the current defense director is purchasing illegal hardware off the black market to compensate for this event.
Seeing a paragon with gigacannons and kinetic blasters scaring a radiant was very unexpected.

Mantas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 18, 2023, 04:49:44 AM »

Currently working through significant changes to Hostile Activity, and adding more content there, so it's not just pirates and Pathers. It's supposed to be a way for you to fight more things just those two, and I really want to flesh that out. And David has been adding some fun exploration content, too!

The HA stuff ("Colony Crises", now) I'll probably want to dive into with a blog post once it's closer to done!

That's great to hear! Say, will there be changes to how Pather interest and mitigation work?

Right now, under the current system, it feels very punitive to pursue colony building as an activity ingame. Once you've achieved a certain point in your progression two of the more common, maybe even expected, activities for players to engage in is the hunting of Ordo fleets and wide range exploration. These activities reward players with AI-cores and the rare colony item. These rewards, in turn, feed into the colony system: giving you the tools and incentives to create industries and install AI-cores in your planets for you to generate bigger profits if you so desire.

However, that's where the Pathers come in. The pathers, as a threat, scale linearly with every colony item and every AI-core you install in your planets. The potential for scaling is infinite, there's no hard cap and no diminishing returns. The more you improve your colonies with the rewards you get from organically playing the game, the worse it gets. On the other hand, there's no way to properly mitigate this problem within the system. The only measure you can actively take gives you a global one-off flat reduction of (-18 at best) that will quickly amount to nothing if you do choose to engage with colony play at scale.

I know Starsector as game in vanilla isn't meant to be a 4x game, but you have a system where there are gameplay rewards that feed into this system, but you're actively punished for using, without any proper way to play the system at scale without feeling handicapped. It is, in my humble opinion, a bad experience. You find planets, you obtain ai-cores and industry items, and get smacked worse and worse for trying to use this cool stuff you find and fight for.

I'm not saying to completely do away with the pathers or to stop their gathering interest completely, but I feel the player experience would benefit for your defenses to be able to keep up with the pather interest growth in some fashion. There are systems in the game that already do this: Player skills that reduce percentual resource usage up to a point, and then with diminishing returns; and ship systems/hulls mods that vary in effectiveness depending on hull-size and stack with diminishing returns. I would like to propose for the Patrol HQ tree (or another defensive measure you implement) to work in a similar manner, to give a percentual reduction to pather interest overall plus a small flat subtraction to the total value, with diminishing returns the more of these you stack. Similar to the Salvage Gantry. This way, pather interest would still grow organically and culminate, but a player's defensive measures would feel more impactful over the long term.

Apologies for the rant, I'm not the most eloquent person around, but I really like the colony system and the colony threats, and it feels that we're just a fine-tuning away from it being perfect.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 18, 2023, 08:00:30 AM »

I noticed that the "Hidden Cache" in system with Sentinel is not actually hidden, i.e. you can find and interact it even without visiting Sentinel at all. Is that intended?

Yep! "Hidden" in the sense of having a low detection range/for flavor.

That's great to hear! Say, will there be changes to how Pather interest and mitigation work?

The overall changes are significant enough that I don't think the same overall concerns really apply!

The pathers, as a threat, scale linearly with every colony item and every AI-core you install in your planets. The potential for scaling is infinite, there's no hard cap and no diminishing returns.

This is not the case as of the most recent release candidate, maybe even the one before; see the patch notes for details! In brief, Pather interest scales non-linearly.

... you obtain ai-cores and industry items, and get smacked worse and worse for trying to use this cool stuff you find and fight for.

(Even with the original linear calculation, I don't think that checks out - you can use AI-cores and items to brute-force the penalties into irrelevance compared to the benefits you get. But there's still the question of feel, and, again, enough changes that I don't know that the same concerns apply in the same way.)

Marco_Paulo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 18, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »

Is the Askonia System Defense Armada hard-coded to have extra D-mods, relative to generic Diktat fleets? I've always seen it with a lot more than the surrounding fleets.

Also, do these special fleets restore themselves over time? I spent early game doing other things, and both special fleets were just Drams when I encountered them, because of constant attrition from pirates.

If you play the storyline the usurpers you can actually find out why the defense armada is like this lorewise but to answer your question its due to the lions guard taking the majority of the military funding to make its fancy ships(although they just parade around rather than protect) and it's also one of the reasons why the current defense director is purchasing illegal hardware off the black market to compensate for this event.

It seems strange for the "flagship" task force of the Diktat military to be worse than the generic Diktat fleets that spawn from their markets. I thought the representation of that difference was the different doctrines (1/5/1/5 for LG, in favor of bigger and high-quality ships, and something with lower ship quality and more ships for normal Diktat).

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 18, 2023, 11:38:28 AM »

Would be cool to have another endgame threat that wasn't all-in on amazing flux stats/shields/speed...

Is that even possible though?

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 19, 2023, 12:35:40 AM »

Most likely the gates will have a major role in that as we have not encountered other battlegroups yet nor the domains true military might apart from the hegemony. It opens up a massive amount of opportunity on how the devs will approach this
Seeing a paragon with gigacannons and kinetic blasters scaring a radiant was very unexpected.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 19, 2023, 01:03:17 AM »

It seems strange for the "flagship" task force of the Diktat military to be worse than the generic Diktat fleets that spawn from their markets. I thought the representation of that difference was the different doctrines (1/5/1/5 for LG, in favor of bigger and high-quality ships, and something with lower ship quality and more ships for normal Diktat).
Well, Macario isn't an idiot, it's not a surprise the worst of his sabotage would be targeted on his most plausible rival.

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 19, 2023, 02:02:14 AM »

Well, Macario isn't an idiot, it's not a surprise the worst of his sabotage would be targeted on his most plausible rival.

That we can agree on since we already know what his true ulterior motives are after what he asked us to collect. I hope in future updates they can bring a continuation of The Usurpers and REALLY looking forward to version 1.0 in the coming years

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 19, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »

Completely off topic: doing a pirate run, have a 'high' importance pirate at Eochu Bres. I'm only level 5 with a staggering officer corp of a level 1, 1, and 2 officer... and they just offered me an odyssey for 100k (I think it needed some marines, but I have them). Yes please!! I'm thinking of totally changing my build plan and going high combat to get both system and missiles for this ship.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 19, 2023, 10:15:30 PM »

Didn't Usurpers end with us learning that ONE out of eight possible Andrada successors is dead? I can't really see the storyline going anywhere.

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 21, 2023, 06:24:56 PM »

It would be weird to leave it that way. It would benefit the hegemony to have someone from andrada's line help them annex the diktat from the inside in order for them to finally gain a foothold on the core worlds. Or the League could also see this as an opportunity to gain a valuable fuel production center that is close to Hegemony space.

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 22, 2023, 01:07:46 AM »

Completely off topic: doing a pirate run, have a 'high' importance pirate at Eochu Bres. I'm only level 5 with a staggering officer corp of a level 1, 1, and 2 officer... and they just offered me an odyssey for 100k (I think it needed some marines, but I have them). Yes please!! I'm thinking of totally changing my build plan and going high combat to get both system and missiles for this ship.

Wait how high was the importance of the contact? Never used my very high pirate contact since they do not offer the illegal arms trade that often but never expected them to obtain ships the size of battlecruisers before. The biggest I ever got was an aurora.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 22, 2023, 07:36:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure mission offers are influenced by contact type as well as importance.

There's definitely a fairly common Pirate bar mission to steal a random ship from a faction, though, and it's interesting to hear that High Importance contacts can offer Capitals that way. I'm gonna have to actually check what's being offered by those more often.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 22, 2023, 08:39:07 AM »

Sounds like powered armor pirate guy.  He is one of the few good bar encounters I check for.

Other good ones I look for:  flashy guy with drink (blueprint intel), arms dealers (those with million credit limit are Very High importance), commander/admiral sitting at table (can be High+ military, if Arroyo alone is not enough, but I usually check for cheap ships), tattooed guys with contract (trained marines), and guy with paper book (historian).

On the other hand, some missions are traps.  I avoid hard-drinking spacer like the plague, since it raises suspicion.  Then there are the menial oddjob missions that may generate a revenge fleet (close to a 200k bounty fleet) after the job is done for less than 100k.  In effect, a named bounty worth less than a regular named bounty (which already underpays).

If the bar encounter is not one of the few I care about, I ignore either because they are schmuck baits or I have better things to do (or in case of colonies, I either do not generate enough or I already have everything and do not need the petty cash).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 08:45:55 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 99