Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 323002 times)

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #900 on: May 13, 2023, 11:02:38 AM »

I think separating from the Executor is a good idea.  If forward facing firepower is the problem (are we mostly talking unguided torpedoes here?), the alternative to forward mediums is angled larges.  If it's OK on the back side, then rotating the forward missile rack outwards by 45 degrees.

Or put the front larges on the back as well for a more "winged" look.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 13, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »

Really impressive how fast you and David push out those hotfixes; thank you very much for that.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 13, 2023, 12:09:46 PM »

Making the executor a separate hull definitely sounds like a good idea. Easier to adjust it.

If you decrease FMR to 1 charge then that's only 3 volleys (initial, 1 charge, system Ex) at a time rather than 6 (initial, 3 charges, system Ex, recharge) which should be enough as the big problem it seemed was just spamming enough hurricanes to overwhelm shields and then kill. So halving the volley should be enough to curb that.
Another option is to make it cooldown based with a faster recharge so smaller burst but better sustained output.

Another idea is to leave it with only 2 large but gives it more medium missiles or to give it small missiles which won't benefit much from FMR.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 13, 2023, 12:42:33 PM »

One idea for Pegasus is a built-in hullmod to add +100% to medium missiles or a medium version of the Missile Autoloader.

...which should be enough as the big problem it seemed was just spamming enough hurricanes to overwhelm shields and then kill. So halving the volley should be enough to curb that.
Not just hurricanes, but reapers too.

vicegrip

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 13, 2023, 12:48:56 PM »

This is first impressions but I agree with the others that the Pegasus nerf seems to be less than ideal. It's a "fast" battleship but still lacks a mobility system, so it can't kite or charge into battle, and now it lacks enough long range firepower to snipe effectively as well. Compared to the Conquest that has 2 large missiles, 2 medium missiles, and 2 large ballistics that can all be fired off at the enemy at the same time depending on fit, the damage output on the Pegasus just feels anemic even when FMR is taken into account. Most large missile systems that are both off-axis and make FMR worthwhile also have very limited ammo, which means even if the ship had enough spike damage to help destroy a capital sized enemy or two, it's going to expend most of it's ammo doing so and be left as a fat eagle for the rest of the fight.

I think distinctive slot layout is almost always going to leave a stronger impression on players than ship systems. One is visually identifiable and active at all times, and is factored heavily into player decisions on loadout by default, while the other is an extra special ability that's only going to be active and affecting ship behavior some of the time. "Four large missiles" was the defining characteristic of the Pegasus, while FMR pushed it into the territory of being too unbalanced. But take away the two front larges and you end up with a ship that can't outshoot the Onslaught or Paragon (or even the Executor when not fit by idiots), and can't outmaneuver or outshoot the Conquest, while also costing more than both the Onslaught and Conquest to deploy. Right now it's just not very good. FMR on the Pegasus is still very strong, don't get me wrong, but when the common AI counter to that ability is just to keep range and PD/tank the damage, that's not really very fun. The old build needed a balance pass, but this new version doesn't seem to be it.

Edit: If I had to choose, I'd much rather prefer a visually and design distinct 4 large missile battleship with a boring ship system such as Missile Autoforge rather than a 2 large + 2 medium missile battleship with FMR.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 01:02:26 PM by vicegrip »

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 13, 2023, 12:49:55 PM »

I think separating from the Executor is a good idea.  If forward facing firepower is the problem (are we mostly talking unguided torpedoes here?), the alternative to forward mediums is angled larges.  If it's OK on the back side, then rotating the forward missile rack outwards by 45 degrees.

Or put the front larges on the back as well for a more "winged" look.
That might look pretty cool.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Tigasboss

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 13, 2023, 01:00:21 PM »

Noooo just make the Pegasus 60 dp, not only do the mediums look ugly, its too heavy a nerf imo. :'(
I will admit that i am biased because even though it was short lived, the Pegasus was one of the most fun ships I've used in a long time, and yes it was too strong but i think i would rather it have FMR have less charges or something.

Cubano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 13, 2023, 01:21:02 PM »

So what is the release/hot fix/version numbering process? Just wondering how to tell when the 0.96a release is locked down.

I did just get notified via an email about this latest hot-fix but didn't get one for the earlier 0.96a ones so I thought this would be the last one. But looking at the comments it seems there may be more hotfixes?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 01:25:08 PM by Cubano »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 13, 2023, 01:26:11 PM »

Alex sends a mail when he feels the current version reached a stable point, so after the initial hotfixes that fix crashes and other important bugs.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Cubano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 13, 2023, 01:41:25 PM »

Alex sends a mail when he feels the current version reached a stable point, so after the initial hotfixes that fix crashes and other important bugs.

Thanks,

Right, so that explains today's email given the large list of fixes in RC 9. But we may still get more hot-fixes before it gets lock down till 0.97?

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 13, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »

+1 for the Pegaus losing FMR, not because I prefer the 4 L missile version but because the AI basically can't use that system.
The power gap between AI spamming hurricanes on a low flux enemy in a formation behind a wall of PD and a player deleting capitals one after the other is too large, don't think the concept itself can work without one case being too far out of line.

Nice to see the Retribution/LP Manticore/Sarissa changes though (and all the fixes ofc).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 13, 2023, 01:56:30 PM »

Huh, so the missing Codex entries weren't filled. I guess that will all be a part of the general Codex touch up in some future update.

On problematic ship systems: Some designs honestly back themselves into a corner by limiting the area where they can be used without being insane. Remember original Damper Field on Mora? Reserve Deployment on Drover? Now Pegasus with FMR just shows how some system can't work across all sizes because of simple math. FMR on a ship 2 medium missiles is strong but not the end of the world. Same system works exactly the same on a ship with (previously) 4 large missiles. The benefit gets exponentially more potent the bigger you go.

So I'd honestly make up a new system for Pegasus and go back to 4 larges. It's boring but a system which increases missile damage is strong but doesn't break the game. Someone suggested a system giving a big tracking boost to fired missiles, which might be pretty funny. I'd hate for the ship to become Conquest 1.5 but a bit more focused on missiles. FMR as it is just doesn't belong on capital level firepower imo, that's literally all to it. Such designs heavily limit the functionality of those ships, where you need to artifically make them weaker.

Just imagine a capital with Temporal Shell or Damper Field and it's easy to see how things can get out of control.

EDIT: If everything is going to stay the same, improve AI use of FMR.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 13, 2023, 02:11:36 PM »

I'll miss my 4 pilum LRM boat....it wasn't op at all with them , life is unfair.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 13, 2023, 03:20:02 PM »

+1 for the Pegaus losing FMR, not because I prefer the 4 L missile version but because the AI basically can't use that system.
Basically AI does not exploit the system as it should, whenever I swap to Pegasus in mid-fight, I see 2 or 3 charges and I proceed to use all the charges and launch MIRVs as quickly as possible and something dies.

Now, I think I will replace the back Squalls with MIRVs and rely on the fleet to put hard-flux on the enemy, then see if that works.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 13, 2023, 03:38:24 PM »

Right, so that explains today's email given the large list of fixes in RC 9. But we may still get more hot-fixes before it gets lock down till 0.97?

The next release would be 0.96.1a - polish, refinements, and smaller features/content additions. Another hotfix for this one is possible, depending on what comes up. Right now I need to get a sense for how prevalent the Hesperus shrine bug is and if it alone warrants it.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 99