Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 323067 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #780 on: May 09, 2023, 02:46:40 AM »

But when the stream is completely opposite, you can just travel on the side, if you really need to cross once, then wait for the break with jump points.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 09, 2023, 02:56:39 AM »

... As a utility, though, I think they'd be much more meaningful for me at least if, for example, slipstreams were visible on the star map within a certain radius around your position, ideally a radius a few times larger than the maximum amount the camera can zoom out.

But you do know that, if you deactivate "Starscape [1]" on the sector-map, you do see slipstreams you have already discovered and thus can atleast plan you way back accordingly?
(Sure, it's not really helpful that Starscape is set on by default, so I'm not sure how many people, who complain about the slipstream, do know that little trick.)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 09, 2023, 03:05:20 AM »

Good point, it seems many haven't discovered the easier way of using the game's tools.

@Alex
Mini suggestion, how about making the default hyperspace view one that has actual useful information?

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 09, 2023, 03:14:44 AM »

I'm literally telling you that emergency burn isn't even necessary. And as another comment said in another thread, it's impossible they're always an annoyance. By pure statistics you're going to have same helpful ones, some less so. Unless you deliberately go against them each half of the cycle.

Here is the actual map. Assuming that player is in the core worlds. Unless you are going exactly into south-western direction you will have to cross some slipstreams. However, players normally tend to avoid furthest corners and pick missions in the closer regions. This way, most of the time slipstreams will be the hindrance and only on rare occasions they will be of use. Needless to say that to get this map I had to go into two pirate base systems to use their sensor arrays to gather this data. Also I had to remember that some while ago Alex did a blog post about slipstreams changing directions on a regular basis. And I still don't know exact timeframe for that so on average I have roughly two month without slipstreams, 5 months for the eastbound structure and 5 months for the westbound one. And to get a map while maximizing useful time I need to be in any of this base systems, waiting. And, while we at it, as a mean of slipstream navigation Neutrino detector just sucks. Why would I need to know a vector to nearest slipstream? I need a map.

The whole system is too complex and with so little key information available in the game its just opaque. Why, just why it was so difficult to create a sector wide message that hints about slipstreams going away and coming back!? And put the quote from the blog right in the Hyperspace Topography screen? Why, instead of useless Neutrino detector feature we didn't get some means to actually chart the hyperspace maps? It costs freaking skill point after all. Like the ability to control most powerful battleship in the game. Also the detection range from the arrays is a joke. Apart from Samarra, core systems can be completely or partially out of range.

And this is coming from the player who actually read that blog post about slipstreams. I'm afraid to think about someone's else experience who don't.

Spoiler

[close]

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 09, 2023, 03:16:44 AM »

@Alex
Mini suggestion, how about making the default hyperspace view one that has actual useful information?

I'll second that.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 09, 2023, 03:19:38 AM »

I'm also not sure why we don't just get a message "hey, the slipstreams are doing their biyearly thing". Actually listen to this, the absolute perfect place for this would be to put it on the new exploration event intel screen. Put a small countdown in days until next slipstream change and that's it.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 09, 2023, 03:29:38 AM »

"This is going to be a terrible night..."

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 09, 2023, 04:41:51 AM »

IMO, there is absolutely no point in debating other players' subjective experience with the game and slipstreams in particular. Just accept, that for some people these little things are annoying. No need to ridicule others' gameplay experience.

RoadTrain

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 09, 2023, 07:04:13 AM »

I'm literally telling you that emergency burn isn't even necessary. And as another comment said in another thread, it's impossible they're always an annoyance. By pure statistics you're going to have same helpful ones, some less so. Unless you deliberately go against them each half of the cycle.

Here is the actual map. Assuming that player is in the core worlds. Unless you are going exactly into south-western direction you will have to cross some slipstreams. However, players normally tend to avoid furthest corners and pick missions in the closer regions. This way, most of the time slipstreams will be the hindrance and only on rare occasions they will be of use. Needless to say that to get this map I had to go into two pirate base systems to use their sensor arrays to gather this data. Also I had to remember that some while ago Alex did a blog post about slipstreams changing directions on a regular basis. And I still don't know exact timeframe for that so on average I have roughly two month without slipstreams, 5 months for the eastbound structure and 5 months for the westbound one. And to get a map while maximizing useful time I need to be in any of this base systems, waiting. And, while we at it, as a mean of slipstream navigation Neutrino detector just sucks. Why would I need to know a vector to nearest slipstream? I need a map.

The whole system is too complex and with so little key information available in the game its just opaque. Why, just why it was so difficult to create a sector wide message that hints about slipstreams going away and coming back!? And put the quote from the blog right in the Hyperspace Topography screen? Why, instead of useless Neutrino detector feature we didn't get some means to actually chart the hyperspace maps? It costs freaking skill point after all. Like the ability to control most powerful battleship in the game. Also the detection range from the arrays is a joke. Apart from Samarra, core systems can be completely or partially out of range.

And this is coming from the player who actually read that blog post about slipstreams. I'm afraid to think about someone's else experience who don't.

Spoiler

[close]

If it helps, they change direction every half a cycle. I forgot which half goes which way, but the streams should change at the start of and in the middle of a cycle, which'd help you plan your trips at least a bit.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 09, 2023, 07:24:02 AM »

That would be more helpful if missions had a default duration of over 180 days.  The way slipstreams work would be a lot less annoying if mission duration was doubled from 120 to 240 days, then we reasonably could plan accordingly.

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 09, 2023, 09:34:35 AM »

... As a utility, though, I think they'd be much more meaningful for me at least if, for example, slipstreams were visible on the star map within a certain radius around your position, ideally a radius a few times larger than the maximum amount the camera can zoom out.

But you do know that, if you deactivate "Starscape [1]" on the sector-map, you do see slipstreams you have already discovered and thus can atleast plan you way back accordingly?
(Sure, it's not really helpful that Starscape is set on by default, so I'm not sure how many people, who complain about the slipstream, do know that little trick.)

Actually I think there was one time I turned off the starscape and noticed that, but I tend to leave it on because I like the contrast between the stars and background and I'm just more used to it at this point. Either way, it obviously didn't click in my head.
That said, while this certainly allows them to be more useful, there still is the issue of periodically changing direction which can be a problem if your timing is unfortunate (mine tends to be). There are also those occasional temporary ones that pop up and disappear, which since the first time I saw that happen has simply given me the impression that they're a fairly random force of nature that can't be planned around, much like hyperstorms (for example I swear there was at least one time where I had a newly forming slipstream just tear down the screen right on top of my fleet).

The problem with slipstreams as I see it is a lack of clear information regarding both how they behave and how they can be recorded. I saw someone else mention the Neutrino Detector's functionality for detecting slipstreams being essentially useless, and I'm inclined to agree. Assuming the main slipstreams are permanent and simply change direction without changing location, some method of charting them that's more obvious than using one non-default map view option (one which applies a significant aesthetic change that I personally don't like to look at) would be more useful in my opinion.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 09, 2023, 10:27:30 AM »

Spoiler

[close]

If it helps, they change direction every half a cycle. I forgot which half goes which way, but the streams should change at the start of and in the middle of a cycle, which'd help you plan your trips at least a bit.

The whole changing direction thing takes about a month or so.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 09, 2023, 07:23:17 PM »

Just a little bit of feedback.

Fought a few Persean League Deserters now, armed primarily with the "laser missiles" of their various types. (I've also used them in my own fleet, but that's sort of irrelevant to the feedback).

As primarily a phase ship user, I really enjoy the added wrinkle they add in combat. They're quite effective at area denial, and I found myself tripping up at times when my muscle memory decided "the missiles have passed, you are safe". There were times they could have been lethal if I had made a single mistake, and I often made quick decisions to change a target or abort an attack run in ways I wouldn't have against a more conventional fleet.

Good fun.

crvt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 09, 2023, 10:51:01 PM »

Brilliants with Plasma Burn feels like a large change to me.

Tried 3 different comps that previously could take a triple ordo without resorting to monitor distractions, and they all kinda melted as soon as most of the ships on the field were Brilliants. Ships that could disengage safely from them tend to die now much more often, and sometimes even 2 Brilliants end up creating significant pressure/risks in a spot where previously you'd only worry about 4+
They can catch up towards kiting fleets and mess with attempts for defeat in detail quite well.

Also tends to help them with closing in on the slow-moving high-firepower lines, too. And in general they traverse the map much faster now, that includes random capture points, flanking, or simply reinforcing from the deployment position.

Missile spam probably still works as usual, but overall it feels like triple ordo fleets got significantly stronger. (and that is good)

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 10, 2023, 01:15:30 AM »

Found a pretty big bug: 
i completed the planet killer quest by giving it back to the pather, however it had no effects whatsoever. Maybe because the starting quest was a pather base that spawned?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 99