Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 323029 times)

BrassGecko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #735 on: May 07, 2023, 05:27:34 PM »

Just wanted to say that the Retribution might be my favorite flagship in the game now. Took me some trial and error to find a setup I liked, but it's such a gloriously aggressive flanker. The look of detonating yourself into danger only adds to it, everything about the ship just -feels- belligerent. I love it.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 07, 2023, 06:00:35 PM »

I'd like to see a 5x speed-up option for hyperspace, too.

This is already available. Simply go into \starsector-core\data\config\settings.json, search for "campaignSpeedupMult", and change it from the default 2 to whatever you'd like. I have it set to 5.

As with all game files, be sure to back up your settings.json file first in case you mess up something.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 07, 2023, 06:41:56 PM »

I think there is a feeling for many players, that if you have to adjust the settings in the files manually, that's cheating. It would be nice to add this into the settings in-game. Btw I'm a programmer, so I have no problem with changing stuff. But it "feels" wrong. Everything not strictly part of the in-game settings "feels" like cheating. You can laugh at me of course, but I can assure you, a large part of players share this view to some degree.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 07, 2023, 07:09:20 PM »

I think there is a feeling for many players, that if you have to adjust the settings in the files manually, that's cheating. It would be nice to add this into the settings in-game. Btw I'm a programmer, so I have no problem with changing stuff. But it "feels" wrong. Everything not strictly part of the in-game settings "feels" like cheating. You can laugh at me of course, but I can assure you, a large part of players share this view to some degree.
Messing with "settings.json" feels dirty to me.  I reluctantly edit combat speed from 1f to 2f because I would not play the game otherwise (because gameplay is miserably too slow at 1f, and even 2f feels a bit slow to me.)  Also, I have considered editing max map size back up to 500 used in previous releases, but I do not because it feels like cheating.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 07:11:09 PM by Megas »

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2023, 07:19:20 PM »

Yes, starting editing the settings is a slippery slope. First QoL improvements, then changing game mechanics bcs it feels better that way...

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 07, 2023, 07:46:41 PM »

A reaction to some of the new stuff:

Spoiler
I thought it was odd that even though I've crapped on the Path most of the game, blew up their stations, their fleets, raided their planets, etc. that they were still okay with offering me permanent immunity when I rolled up on their station and handed over the thing from the place to them. There should probably be some hoops to jump through or something just because I'd expect that if they want my head on a pike there should be reasons not to do that thing. Or for me to tell them that I got them the thing and they just say "yes well done completing the mission" that I never got and they never asked for because they hate my guts and vice versa.

There should probably be dialogue at Galatia, too, if you don't use the gate to get back there. Which I didn't this run, just to see if there was.
[close]

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 07, 2023, 08:45:20 PM »

I happily edit my config file so that my max player level is 30 and my max battle size is 500 because I enjoy the game more that way, but in my opinion it is absolutely cheating.  I figure, I'm a dirty rotten cheater but so what, I'm cheating for my own enjoyment in a single-player offline sandbox game, is the machine going to go on strike over unfair working conditions?

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 07, 2023, 08:47:56 PM »

I happily edit my config file so that my max player level is 30 and my max battle size is 500 because I enjoy the game more that way, but in my opinion it is absolutely cheating.  I figure, I'm a dirty rotten cheater but so what, I'm cheating for my own enjoyment in a single-player offline sandbox game, is the machine going to go on strike over unfair working conditions?

The problem is when people who do that start giving balance/gameplay suggestions based on their "cheated" version of the game. Same with mods.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2023, 09:31:31 PM »

Eh, I think it's silly to cast moral aspersions (i.e. calling it cheating) on changing a game's parameters based solely on whether those parameters are accessible via the game's built-in UI or via an external UI (i.e. the computer's operating system). Especially when the game is under development and I would rather see the developer spend his time on improving on the game and developing new game features instead of writing an in-game UI for each of the literally hundreds of parameters that can be changed, and when most players nowadays are computer-literate enough to know how to edit text files.

Granted some of the parameters are for game balance reasons and shouldn't really be changed, but I think making the campaign speed advance more quickly to save the player some time doesn't qualify as changing the game balance.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2023, 11:27:11 PM »

Eh, I think it's silly to cast moral aspersions (i.e. calling it cheating) on changing a game's parameters based solely on whether those parameters are accessible via the game's built-in UI or via an external UI (i.e. the computer's operating system).
Silly or not, these are real mental struggles players go through, and you can't just ignore them or play them down.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 07, 2023, 11:35:41 PM »

Ok this is turning into a weird discussion but my counter question is, so what? Someone might feel bad about a certain mechanic that they feel the need to change some of the game files, then they also feel bad about it. What are we supposed to do lol, change the game to fit everyone (which is impossible), or introduce a million of separate options to the point no one will even notice them all...

You just can't please every single user and that's fine. Some options are always good to have (rebinding keys, turning off graphical setting that induce medical conditions or are just uncomfortable, adjusting the volume of separate sources, etc.), while some would bload the setting screen too much. This is precisely what mods do for single player games, they let each player specificaly curate the game the way they want, without impacting anyone else. Thankfully Starsector has an insanely rich modding scene.

Btw it's also super easy to mod some things yourself if you find parts of the game tedious.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Cubano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 08, 2023, 12:06:57 AM »

Ok this is turning into a weird discussion but my counter question is, so what? Someone might feel bad about a certain mechanic that they feel the need to change some of the game files, then they also feel bad about it. What are we supposed to do lol, change the game to fit everyone (which is impossible), or introduce a million of separate options to the point no one will even notice them all...

You just can't please every single user and that's fine. Some options are always good to have (rebinding keys, turning off graphical setting that induce medical conditions or are just uncomfortable, adjusting the volume of separate sources, etc.), while some would bload the setting screen too much. This is precisely what mods do for single player games, they let each player specificaly curate the game the way they want, without impacting anyone else. Thankfully Starsector has an insanely rich modding scene.

Btw it's also super easy to mod some things yourself if you find parts of the game tedious.

It is nothing but an advantage that Starsector is both modable and user configurable. It's a little sad to me that some people don't use mods for games they enjoy because it is "wrong" some how. Not only could they tailor the game more to their liking (which BTW is the entire purpose of a game - to let you do something you like) but it is better for the game as it can give it a much longer life.

Is cheating or dirty if you use an after market steering wheel cover in a car, or add a bit of pesto to a recipe even though it doesn't call for it, or repaint your house because you don't like the color?

Cubano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 08, 2023, 12:15:13 AM »

Eh, I think it's silly to cast moral aspersions (i.e. calling it cheating) on changing a game's parameters based solely on whether those parameters are accessible via the game's built-in UI or via an external UI (i.e. the computer's operating system).
Silly or not, these are real mental struggles players go through, and you can't just ignore them or play them down.

Sure you can. As a dev, you chose to implement input from some players and ignore others. Choosing who to ignore is a critical part of development. There are consequences of course. But, speaking as a dev myself, I would never get a release out if I didn't consciously ignore a not insignificant number of people's suggestions.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 08, 2023, 12:28:55 AM »

Sure you can. As a dev, you chose to implement input from some players and ignore others. Choosing who to ignore is a critical part of development. There are consequences of course. But, speaking as a dev myself, I would never get a release out if I didn't consciously ignore a not insignificant number of people's suggestions.
As a dev myself, i've learned to ignore actual suggestions, but read between the lines. And the fact of it is, hyperspace travel is boring and annoying and adding a UI setting is an easy way to add a layer of duct tape to it.
(Yes, it is easy, you add a widget to the list. One-liner. The only thing stopping mods from doing that is not having any entry access to UI editing even though the actual methods are all there.)
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 08, 2023, 12:42:13 AM »

And the fact of it is, hyperspace travel is boring and annoying

No it's not.

What now?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 99