Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 323019 times)

Kragh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #540 on: April 29, 2023, 09:59:35 PM »

While I agree that there does not NEED to be a warning as there is plenty of ways to work around it, it would be nice if one was added.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2023, 07:24:31 AM »

While I agree that there does not NEED to be a warning as there is plenty of ways to work around it, it would be nice if one was added.

I think instead of adding a warning, a representation in hyperspace, perhaps in the neutron star gravity well "jump" point would be better.  Or maybe add it as something that shows up when using the neutrino detector around the jump point, making it glow white or something (I.e. the pulsar beam is leaking through and the neutrino detector picks it up) when the beam overlaps.

The problem with a jump warning is the game pauses.  In the case of hostile fleets, in many cases, just waiting and clicking again isn't going to make them go away.  It's really a one time warning you want, so having it as a text as you're about to enter is fine.

However, if you intend to enter a neutron star system, and don't actually use one of the ways to mitigate the danger on enter that already exist, then the gameplay loop with the neutron star is click on the jump point, pause game with text warning, click don't jump, wait some guessed amount of time, click on the jump point, pause game with text warning, click don't jump, wait, etc.  It's entirely possible if you wait the wrong amount of time, to miss the opening and get the opposite beam, or alternatively you click too often and now you've clicked 10 or more times just to enter one system safely.  The game flow is just kind of terrible.

A less elegant option than displaying the information live on the hyperspace map about where the beams are would be to tell you the number of estimated days until the beam no longer overlaps in the text warning.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 07:32:02 AM by Hiruma Kai »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 30, 2023, 07:47:30 AM »

Generally speaking, not the right thread for this discussion, but I gotta say, I *love* the "show it through the jump-point visuals" idea - that's just so elegant! Going to remember that one for sure; bit late to try to add it in now, what with an RC already having been built (that I already know isn't quite "it", but still!)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 30, 2023, 08:04:53 AM »

what with an RC already having been built (that I already know isn't quite "it", but still!)
Praise the maker
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 30, 2023, 08:26:57 AM »

However, if you intend to enter a neutron star system, and don't actually use one of the ways to mitigate the danger on enter that already exist, then the gameplay loop with the neutron star is click on the jump point, pause game with text warning, click don't jump, wait some guessed amount of time, click on the jump point, pause game with text warning, click don't jump, wait, etc.  It's entirely possible if you wait the wrong amount of time, to miss the opening and get the opposite beam, or alternatively you click too often and now you've clicked 10 or more times just to enter one system safely.  The game flow is just kind of terrible.
The beam rotates slow enough (and the gate slowing rotating with the beam) that it might as well be like waiting for hostiles to clear a gate in another system.  If I got warned that a beam is over a gate, I am not waiting in-game days for the beam to clear the gate, I will jump through the star or gas giant if I want in now for the likely research station waiting for me.

I sometimes go through the gate if it is closer than the (neutron) star itself and planets are near the gate.  Jumping through a gate, gas giant, or star is faster than T-jumping (and costs no CR).  Also, sometimes, stuff can spawn near a gate (although that tends to be wrecks or crates and not research stations), so I ought to check that.  There is a risk of getting beamed whether going in fast through gate, giant, or star.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 30, 2023, 08:49:42 AM »

Jumping through a gate, gas giant, or star is faster than T-jumping (and costs no CR).
... You're aware that T-jumping INTO a system doesn't cost CR, right? Only jumping OUT does.

This is very obvious if you, say, are hauling around mothballed ships.

Solidus667

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 30, 2023, 10:34:51 AM »

what with an RC already having been built (that I already know isn't quite "it", but still!)
Praise the maker

For the poor fool... What does RC stand for?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 30, 2023, 10:36:33 AM »

Release Candidate. Alex only talks or tweets about them when we are getting REALLY close.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 30, 2023, 10:41:21 AM »

*heavy breathing*
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 30, 2023, 10:50:47 AM »

Praise the maker
Amen to that.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 30, 2023, 10:55:27 AM »

what with an RC already having been built

So only one more week?

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 30, 2023, 11:35:11 AM »

So only one more week?
You never know. Some horrible game-crashing bug that absolutely must be fixed first could turn up.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 30, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »

0.8a released on RC17. 0.95a released on RC8 and hotfixed all the way to RC15. Those were the most extreme, though. Usually the last hotfix is only like RC8.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 30, 2023, 01:13:16 PM »

Worth noting : eating the corona of a neutron star is far preferable to the pulsar beam.  So jumping into the star with emergency burn will let you minimize CR loss even if you jump directly into the beam.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 30, 2023, 01:39:09 PM »

I'm curious about the version numbering... Should we draw any conclusions from the fact that this next update is only 0.96?
Do you feel like you'll soon be in a position where you can talk about a roadmap moving forward, in terms of an official release on Steam?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 99