Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 99

Author Topic: Starsector 0.96a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 319181 times)

Spacer Heater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.96a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2023, 06:38:53 PM »

Would it be possible for the drover to receive a minor DP rollback? Between the dp nerf, RD getting stomped on, and fighter skill limits, paying 15 dp for the drover is just gross. I think it learned its lesson now. One wonders when reading the drover description why the Domain didn't quietly cancel the production contract for it.
I think with the fixes to bugs for Reserve Deployment it might be in a better place. Might still be overpriced, but at least it should be better than it is now.
Wait so I'm a bit confused. The description of the changes for reserve deployment make it sound like the changes to reduced fighter replacement rate only applies to ships with one fighter bay (Gemini). Yet there's no mention of reserve deployment in the bug fixes section of the patch notes, unless crtl+f failed me. Does reserve deployment now reduce replacement rate by 15% for all ships now?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:41:42 PM by Spacer Heater »

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »

any details on how much armor does smodded shield shunt provide?
Cabbage

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2023, 07:18:06 PM »

"Our missiles will blot out the Sun"
- Manticore LP, Venture P

redvyper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2023, 07:32:55 PM »

Terrific notes so far!

For new here and/or wondering... in the past there's been 5-7 months between notes being posted and then the patch dropping.

Surprises can always happen though I am sure!!

Madbadger2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2023, 07:33:55 PM »

Thank you everyone!

Integrated Point Defense AI:
  • Converting small weapons to PD is now the s-mod effect bonus
That's an unexpected change. Did you change it to avoid interaction with elite Point Defence? Because you felt it was too strong anyway?

The idea is that there are times when you *don't* want the "turns smalls into PD" effect of the hullmod, while the other - now baseline - effects of it are always good. So now you can make that choice.

This is really going to hurt every variant and ship that relies on that for PD for the AI though - and I never put on IPDAI for anything but turning smalls into PD. Have you considered making non-PD smalls PD, PD_ALSO instead unless s-modded, to avoid the potential effects of smalls prioritizing missiles but still allowing them to help when lacking other targets?

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2023, 07:54:23 PM »

Very excited for the new update, especially for new Music and Arts (with that distinct Starsector style)  ;D

One thing that got me curious is
Waystations now pull in a small quantity of Volatiles and Transplutonics
Wonder what's the reason and or explanation behind this one

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2023, 08:08:24 PM »

Very excited for the new update, especially for new Music and Arts (with that distinct Starsector style)  ;D

One thing that got me curious is
Waystations now pull in a small quantity of Volatiles and Transplutonics
Wonder what's the reason and or explanation behind this one
Game-mechanics, it makes it a one-stop shop for "This is everything an exploring player needs". Lore-wise... probably about the same: "Yeah, we don't use this stuff locally, but it's good to have on hand for exploration fleets that come by, so we keep a bit of stock."
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2023, 08:12:54 PM »

May I ask what faction has access to

Defensive Targeting Array
and
Missile Autoloader

or if it's already available to the player (which can mean everyone can use it)?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2023, 08:25:07 PM »

Stoked! The light is now visible at the end of the tunnel! Huzzah!

Gotta ask though, is there any REDACTED stuff you didn't include in the patch notes? Hehe

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2023, 09:01:37 PM »

• Fulgent: added built-in Energy Bolt Coherer (increases base non-beam energy/hybrid weapon range)
Okay, this new Hullmod is listed in the Ships section but not the Hullmods section. Is it unavailable to the player?

• Added two new weapons (Kinetic Blaster and Gigacannon), only available to/from the Lion's Guard
Are they salvageable by the player?

Medusa getting a small buff woohooo.
2 Medium & 5 Small energy slots means all the Energy weapon buffs are good for Medusa. Needs testing.

Thematically it's both hilarious and completely on brand that the pirates ripped out the mining pods to just chuck missiles out of the back. If the flux can be managed, and if it can turn fast enough to point at a target, the ship now has a great spread of mounts too.
Locusts, Pilum LRM Catapult and (I think) Squalls can handle the U-turn.

NO SAFETY OVERRIDE REWORK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Oh.  Don't assume that the patch notes will not change...

I just read the whole changelog... Woah, awesome! :D
Eagle mega buffed (22->18DP, 600->700 dissipation and 50->60 speed)? Nice.
There are other indirect buffs for it, too. Reapers+Missile Autoloader+AI improved for off-center missiles seem almost custom made for Eagle.

"Our missiles will blot out the Sun"
- Manticore LP, Venture P
"Then we shall flak in the shade."
- Sarissa-class Support Fighter, Defensive Targeting Array

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »

... you know, I don't remember. This was probably a modding request from someone; vanilla doesn't use it.
please please please add function to change weapon slot coordinates in ShipAPI or cloned HullSpec
without the weird french magik, i mean
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2023, 11:45:29 PM »

Fury: Imagine if Shrike suddenly costed 10 DP, this is how I feel about the Fury. It's really anemic for its price, only being strong in the hands of a player (but what isn't, there's also better flagships). People keep mentioning buffs to energy weapons but forget Fury isn't the only high tech ship in the game, EVERYTHING is going to get slightly better. Aurora even more so since it has many more medium mounts, why use Fury then? Shields might be durable but the ship crumbles under pressure. Ship system that's suicide for AI, almost no endurance when fighting, few mounts = somehow the same cost as Gryphon...

Again, I get that it's a fast ship and that's its whole schtick, but it realistically can't cost more than the new Eagle, it just can't.

HAG vs Hellbore: I admit I was a HAG hater for a long time, but with this change, the accuracy starts to show big time. The flux cost is annoying but as mentioned, it might be cool on new ships.

Jackhammer: Being usable only three times reminds me of the Harpoon Pod, it'll need ammo boosts but boy is that scary potent for a medium missile. Imagine a Dominator chucking 9 Hammers at once, yikess.

EDIT: Adding onto the Fury part, I consider it equal to Eradicator(P). Ship that can go in, deliver a few punches, but then needs to back away for a breather. And even if they costed the same I'd still prefer the Eradicator since it has much more reliable mounts and is less tricky for AI to use. Fury is also unfortunately in the worst place for "punching down" as many seem to defend it as such. Shrike doesn't have the same glaring issue since it's very cheap and disposable, costing a bit more than your average frigate. But the Fury costs the same as an average cruiser, while having the performance of a super destroyer, or light cruiser. Odyssey, another ship with the same system also works well due to much better mounts and crazy speed for its size. Fury doesn't really get to escape the ships that can threaten it since most can either also burn in, or have other mobility system for pressure.

Funnily enough, of all the weapons that were buffed Fury barely uses any of those. Typhoons and Jackhammers can give it serious firepower but Falcon(P) exists which has DOUBLE the missile potency and the exact same DP cost.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:59:24 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2023, 01:00:09 AM »

No stats for the new ships? At least give us screenshots of the base stats like deployment cost!

Reserve Deployment, for ships with only one fighter bay, now:

At least doubles wing size (minimum +2 craft)
    Fighter replacement rate reduction is 15% instead of 25%

Does this mean that the Gemini now deploys THREE Cobra bombers?

Added Manticore (LP)

SO Hammer Barrage? That's not terrifying at all!

Brilliant:

Changed system to Plasma Burn
    Reduced shield upkeep to 0.4 (was: 0.5)

Is that shield upkeep or shield efficiency?

Hurricane MIRV:

Increased submunition accuracy
    Reduced number of submunitions by to 7 (was: 9)

Does that mean it now does 23% less damage? Or was the damage of submunitions increased to compensate?

Logistics hullmods have a significant bonus regardless of their cost (since it's still a sacrifice in combat power)

It's not a sacrifice on civilian ships though.

RE:HAG - it was always a good weapon but the problem is that toughest enemies in the game are all shield tanked. Large weapons dealing explosive damage just don't matter much, you're always better with a kinetic.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2023, 01:06:20 AM »

@BCS
Ah yes you reminded me, Drover is currently overpriced and it seems none of the changes really help it.

You could go to the blog posts and look at the screenshots, not all ships are there but there is enough info. DP costs we currently know are Invictus (60), Retribution (35), oh wait that's actually all. Well we can be sure that the faction variants will have identical costs. Pegasus is also likely 55-60 DP along with Executor. Nova is probably 40 and Apex 20.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2023, 01:08:47 AM »

Suggestion: with the faction flavor focus of this patch, please consider making Thule system a little more interesting.
It's the largest Persean League military market so the league commissioned player will have to visit it often for military hardware, but it just does not feel like a capital system.
There is no ancillary league market there like in all the other capital systems, so there is very little in-system transit.
I think it's also a combination of Kazeron texture not giving the feel of a size 7 market, the dark background, asteroid fields and white star giving it an even starker and emptier look.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 01:12:13 AM by Bastion.Systems »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 99