Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Burn Levels  (Read 548 times)

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Burn Levels
« on: January 29, 2023, 03:44:43 PM »

Suggestion/personal theorycrafting

All fleets operate at the same speed in the campaign map (maybe this isn't even necessary but I just don't like this disincentive of capitals being to make the game a slog - traveling slower)
Burn level determines which ships in a fleet interact first in a battle rather than determine fleet speed

Higher burn ships enter the battle first, then after some time, lower burn ships become available as reinforcements. (I think this should be fairly short, like 1-3 minutes between waves)
If the current burn level of ships is all destroyed the next burn level immediately enters (with a 10 or 15 second warning/delay to allow retreats of heavily damaged ships, etc)
The lowest burn ships in vanilla are burn 6 I think? At 1 minute between waves it would take 4 minutes for burn 6 ships to enter the field
Maybe a catchall level above 10 for anything with more than 10 burn as well

• This lets frigates remain viable later on in campaigns rather than getting instablapped by capitals
  • Allows players to continue having a full mix of ships in campaigns and battles
  • Provides incentive for fleets to not simply be capitals vs capitals
  • Introduces new strategy in fleet composition
  • Helps keep battle sizes smaller and more performant
  • Introduces opportunity for new hullmods
  • Gives another balance lever for some ships (e.g. very tanky frigates with burn 7, very light capitals with burn 9)

and well basically gets rid of the annoyance I have with burn levels = campaign speed
everyone uses the Ox to drag their slow ships around at full speed in campaign anyway so I don't think many people are going to miss it; who even likes traveling at 12 burn around the map?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:46:56 PM by Euripides »

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Burn Levels
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:36:23 AM »

What’s the benefit to having frigates to send out early rather than just having burn 6~7 capitals since the next wave comes immediately when there’s no more of the faster ones. Also, what if players wants to just keep their frigates with the capitals. There’s also the issue of frigates having low PPT so your way would mean you’d barely get any use out of frigates before they have to leave.

BCS

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Burn Levels
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 01:36:14 AM »

Higher burn ships enter the battle first, then after some time, lower burn ships become available as reinforcements. (I think this should be fairly short, like 1-3 minutes between waves)

Well, this isn't "fairly short". After 3 minutes half the enemy fleet should already be dead. No one likes sitting and waiting for the battle to start(that's why we have no-flux speed bonus)

This lets frigates remain viable later on in campaigns rather than getting instablapped by capitals

Well, frigates already have an endgame role of capturing objectives and stopping enemy frigates from flanking your ships which messes up their AI. It's not a huge role but it's there.