Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fleet size cap? any way to increase it?  (Read 16114 times)

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fleet size cap? any way to increase it?
« on: August 16, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »

So i only cna have 30 ship in my fleet without taking into account the size of ship? doesnt it make the frigate speciality skill and frigate shuttle fleet kind of pointless after the mid game? doesnt iut also make the "Auxiliary support skill"skill pointless...?

Does the price for extra ship get more and more ridiculous or does it scale linearily?

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet size cap? any way to increase it?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »

goto starsector core > data > config and look up "maxShipsInFleet". Then change the value to whatever you want.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »

Auxiliary support skill is just bad. The fleet cap doesn't affect that because the skill gets much weaker if you use more than a few ships. I find that frigates work fine with a 30 ship cap, because the skills are only for officered frigates, so you can't have more than 10 that are affected by the skill, and in my experience, you really want 4-6 frigates with a few big ships as well, which can be fit into the 30 ship cap without too much effort. 

That being said, increasing the fleet cap is pretty reasonable, and I did it on the last release. I find it less useful on this release because carrying around a bunch of ships eats into your skill bonuses anyway.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 11:13:25 AM »

It is more than what player could get in pre-0.7a releases when fleet size was dictated by Fleet Points (0.5 era) or Logistics (0.6 era).  Back then, assuming maximum points (max Leadership and Fleet Logistics), player could bring about 30 thirty frigates or 3 to 4 capitals or something in between with medium ships.  If player was unskilled in Leadership, he could only use five frigates or a single Conquest (battleships or Astral were impossible to use without taking penalties if unskilled in Leadership).

Of course, that also applied to the enemy, and their fleet size was no bigger than the modern 200k named bounty.  Now, enemies have gigantic fleets (either sixty to hundred ships during the first 0.9 release, or ten to twelve capitals and the rest cruisers for today).  Meanwhile, PPT has remained mostly unchanged since 0.6.  So while fleets have bloated over the releases, PPT has not kept up.  Also, max map size has shrunk from 500 to 400.

That being said, increasing the fleet cap is pretty reasonable, and I did it on the last release. I find it less useful on this release because carrying around a bunch of ships eats into your skill bonuses anyway.
More Phantoms to crank raiding power!

I find map size the biggest constraint to fleet battles.  The max of 500 needs to be restored (or better yet, raised to 600+ with bloated fleets in modern releases).  400 is barely big enough.  300 is unacceptable, turns fights into Star Control style duels, which drags fights out longer (thanks cowardly AI).  I like fleet battles, not tag-team fighting game matches.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:15:42 AM by Megas »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »

The most important reason to increase ship cap is to avoid losing out on potentially recoverable ships.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »

The most important reason to increase ship cap is to avoid losing out on potentially recoverable ships.
Didn't it get changed so you always see all the recoverable ships, even if your fleet is full?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »

Assumes player does not fill up those extra slots with more small ships or stat ships.

However, if the enemy honors the fleet cap, then maybe they get fewer big ships and more small ships instead of spamming capitals and cruisers.

Didn't it get changed so you always see all the recoverable ships, even if your fleet is full?
That is true, and I would not bat an eye scuttling one of my ships for a better one dropped by the enemy.

GShockOmnitrix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 03:02:51 PM »

goto starsector core > data > config and look up "maxShipsInFleet". Then change the value to whatever you want.

This does not work, as the folder contains only .json files and none that match "maxShipsInFleet"

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 01:41:17 AM »

There’s the Fleet Size by DP mod that is probably what you want.

This does not work, as the folder contains only .json files and none that match "maxShipsInFleet"

Once you’re in the config folder you open settings.json in a notepad editor or similar and then search for maxShipsInFleet.